U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the nation's capital moved, what city would make the best capital?
Boston 20 10.99%
New York 52 28.57%
Philadelphia 49 26.92%
Chicago 61 33.52%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times

Advertisements

This conversation is purely academic, but I believe just prior there was a very close decision to placing the New Capital between Trenton and Princeton in NJ. Anyone familiar with this region may agree that another major city in between NYC and Philly would have been insane. There are already 30+ million in the region, imagine if DC were in the middle, as the crow flies now only 46 miles seperate the closest city line between Philly and NYC today.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,248,147 times
It would almost have to be Chicago: more central location, international city, and an international gateway (O'Hare Airport)

Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,280,104 times
Chicago?!? Are you kidding me? I don't like any of these cities for the nation's capital, except maybe Boston. New York and Philly are too busy being commercial capitals. Chicago?!
If the logic behind that is centrality, we might as well go ahead and choose Wichita. DC already has a strategic location in the middle of the original 13 colonies (the birthplace of America), splitting North and South, and named after our first leader as a nation.

The capital needs to have a strong historical background, and not be a dump. So I say it should be moved back to Annapolis, if it has to be moved, but I think it's perfectly fine where it is right now.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM

12,183 posts, read 21,048,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Denver is the back up capital...
True. They have the Denver Federal Center that was built to be the location of the federal government if anything should happen to DC.

So perhaps Denver should be considered the second city not Chicago!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,404,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Chicago?!? Are you kidding me? I don't like any of these cities for the nation's capital, except maybe Boston. New York and Philly are too busy being commercial capitals. Chicago?!
If the logic behind that is centrality, we might as well go ahead and choose Wichita. DC already has a strategic location in the middle of the original 13 colonies (the birthplace of America), splitting North and South, and named after our first leader as a nation.

The capital needs to have a strong historical background, and not be a dump. So I say it should be moved back to Annapolis, if it has to be moved, but I think it's perfectly fine where it is right now.
I think you've had a bit too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.