U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the nation's capital moved, what city would make the best capital?
Boston 20 10.99%
New York 52 28.57%
Philadelphia 49 26.92%
Chicago 61 33.52%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia, or maybe Boston. These cities are are very historical, and Philly already looks like a capital city to me, anyway. New York...are you kidding me? Then again, there is enough green space in Staten Island for us to have a decent Capitol Hill. But still, come on guys. New York can't have everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 AM

Or, even Atlanta makes sense. CNN is there, and that city is home to the major reason why this country's people are what they are today. Plus, it's naturally beautiful.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
When I was living in Colorado, I heard that Denver would be designated as the temporary national capital if Washington DC was destroyed by a catastrophic natural or man-made disaster (i.e. giant meteorite or nuclear holocaust). That is because Denver is the only metropolitan area outside of Washington DC that has offices of every significant federal government agency. The Denver Federal Center, actually located in the suburb of Lakewood, is a huge complex.
Wow. Never knew that. Guess it should be Denver then.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 AM

792 posts, read 2,903,332 times
At the rate things are going, Mexico City would be a good choice.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,991,752 times
How about Houston? It is even more central than Chicago. It never gets very cold or snowy as it does in the north or D.C. and it is near the coast.

If we put it in New York City, we would have America's Mexico City. But isn't Mexico City a very hip place to live?

Philadelphia is the ideal choice since it is on the Mason-Dixon line. Washington D.C. was a compromise between Madison and Hamilton for the second U.S. government to assume the debts of the first government from the Revolutionary War.

Last edited by KerrTown; 05-15-2007 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 11:39 AM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
When I was living in Colorado, I heard that Denver would be designated as the temporary national capital if Washington DC was destroyed by a catastrophic natural or man-made disaster (i.e. giant meteorite or nuclear holocaust). That is because Denver is the only metropolitan area outside of Washington DC that has offices of every significant federal government agency. The Denver Federal Center, actually located in the suburb of Lakewood, is a huge complex.
I have lived in Colorado 27 yrs and never heard that. I will ask my kids, who went to school here.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:31 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,787,297 times
"Washington is such a dump."

I think that's unfair. It has amazing architecture and cultural attractions.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 PM

1,173 posts, read 5,512,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
"Washington is such a dump."

I think that's unfair. It has amazing architecture and cultural attractions.
People are getting mugged on the Mall now.

DC is the most miserably mismanaged large city in the country. The mayor gets busted smoking crack in a hotel room with a prostitute and he still gets re-elected.

Two blocks from the White House is one of the most dangerous sections of DC. Crime is rampant, and the people of the city have no representation in congress yet get taxed just like anyone else.

DC is getting better. I do not deny that and I'm happy to see it. I hope that DC will not continue to be a disgrace of a capital.

Compared to London, Paris, Oslo, Madrid, Athens, Prague, Tokyo, Bangkok, and just about any first world or developing world capital though, and DC doesn't remotely compare.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,120,370 times
Please, DC is awesome place to have the capital. Imagine what DC would be without the federal government. A mess. DC is an attractive city, and has cleaned up its act, and lost much of its character, in the past 10 years. DC doesn't need to compare to any other international capital. There is no competition to see whose capital city is most attractive. DC is special because of its compactness, its architecture, and its location. The United States has still prospered with DC as the capital, and will continue to do so.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:31 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
DC is the most miserably mismanaged large city in the country. The mayor gets busted smoking crack in a hotel room with a prostitute and he still gets re-elected.
I think that could happen 'most anywhere. Politics is a crooked game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.