U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the nation's capital moved, what city would make the best capital?
Boston 20 10.99%
New York 52 28.57%
Philadelphia 49 26.92%
Chicago 61 33.52%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 PM

1,173 posts, read 5,512,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Please, DC is awesome place to have the capital. Imagine what DC would be without the federal government. A mess. DC is an attractive city, and has cleaned up its act, and lost much of its character, in the past 10 years. DC doesn't need to compare to any other international capital. There is no competition to see whose capital city is most attractive. DC is special because of its compactness, its architecture, and its location. The United States has still prospered with DC as the capital, and will continue to do so.
There would be no Washington, DC without the federal government. It was created out of a swamp precisely to be the capital.

No competition?!?! How many odes have been written to it? Who says, "See Washington and die?" Have you even seen Paris, Rome, Prague, or Stockholm? Copenhagen? Buenos Aires?

"We'll always have Washington, DC," just doesn't do it. Sorry. No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,523,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
How about Houston? It is even more central than Chicago. It never gets very cold or snowy as it does in the north or D.C. and it is near the coast.

If we put it in New York City, we would have America's Mexico City. But isn't Mexico City a very hip place to live?

Philadelphia is the ideal choice since it is on the Mason-Dixon line. Washington D.C. was a compromise between Madison and Hamilton for the second U.S. government to assume the debts of the first government from the Revolutionary War.
Yes from research I've read the nations permanent capital was intended to be in Philadelphia Pa., in the Germantown neighborhood of the city.In 1790 after the Revolution, Philadelphia was the political,cultural and economic mecca of the young country. The new govt. used the state capitol building of PA. in Philaldephia as the the nations capital from 1790-1800. While most of the govt was planning the permanent capitol grounds in Philadlephia, 3 very influential members of the government Thomas Jefferson VA.(Vice President) James Madison Va.(Sec of State) f and Alexander Hamilton-NY(Sec Treasury) had vastly different ideas.

They basically devised a coup of Philadelphias early power. Jefferson and Hamilton schemed to get the political clout closer to their homes in Northern VA.. In exchange Alexander Hamilton and the powers of NY got the banking and economic infrastructure funneled up to NYC. Philadelphia basically got left with their hands in their pockets, it held on as the cultural icon for a brief period of time but that faded as time passed as well.

After Ben Franklin and Robert Morris passed away Philadelphia never had the leadership to stand up to VA. + NY and get left out of the party.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,120,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
There would be no Washington, DC without the federal government. It was created out of a swamp precisely to be the capital.

No competition?!?! How many odes have been written to it? Who says, "See Washington and die?" Have you even seen Paris, Rome, Prague, or Stockholm? Copenhagen? Buenos Aires?

"We'll always have Washington, DC," just doesn't do it. Sorry. No.
I meant "imagine if the capital of the U.S. was moved to another location" to accommodate the fact that the center of population has shifted westward, considerably. I was merely stating that its not going to happen. No, there shouldn't be anger directed toward our nation's capital because you don't think it's as attractive as many European capitals. Who gives a hoot! DC is functional, the federal government has existed in the city for many years, and will continue to do so.

I've been to Paris and Rome, and I admit that they are beautiful cities. Moving the capital of the US for aesthetic reason has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard in my life. There was an earlier post about moving the capital to Denver if there ever was a terror attack on DC, because of the major federal offices already located there. That makes a lot more sense than relocating the capital to Denver, or any other city for that matter, solely for its "scenic backdrop." The point is, unless there is a terror attack that obliterates DC, that city will remain the capital, and rightfully so.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:00 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,372 times
Richmond, Virginia. Seat of the Confederacy.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:09 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,991,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Please, DC is awesome place to have the capital. Imagine what DC would be without the federal government. A mess. DC is an attractive city, and has cleaned up its act, and lost much of its character, in the past 10 years. DC doesn't need to compare to any other international capital. There is no competition to see whose capital city is most attractive. DC is special because of its compactness, its architecture, and its location. The United States has still prospered with DC as the capital, and will continue to do so.
DC is compact? I didn't realize it's also sprawly in the city proper. The Metro train stations are far apart and the blocks are large. This city was made for the carriage and then accomodate the automobile when it became widely used. The height restriction probably made the sprawl worse and it's too close to Baltimore. Walking around last summer, it felt just like Houston; HOT and just as humid.

The architecture has earned D.C. the title of a "living necropolis." After all it's full of white buildings, many of which are used as memorials to dead people.

D.C. had a hard time growing. The lots were sold off very slowly, killing hope of a fast profit. Apparently the founders thought that the center of power will become the most populous city; it's actually the economic/financial center that gets the most people. In fact the Virginia side was retroceded in 1847 and the city didn't grow until the 20th century.

Hamilton, Madison, Jefferson, and Washington's plans to stop Philadelphia from becoming the dominant city became reality when the Erie Canal opened and NYC became the dominant city in the country and later one of the world's great cities.

Last edited by KerrTown; 05-16-2007 at 12:18 AM..

Old 05-16-2007, 07:47 AM

331 posts, read 1,483,089 times
I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments about moving the capital to the area of major economic and population growth, i.e., the sun belt (well, maybe Atlanta). Given the country's changing demographics, rampant suburbanization, crass commercialization, and trend toward chain-store same-ness, I think Orlando, Florida would ideally represent the present day American psyche . . .

Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,787,297 times
Well I'd rather live in the D.C. area than most parts of this mostly dull country. Yes there is crime in the city, but you can live in Northern Virginia and have accessibity to all of what D.C. has to offer. Are there better parts of the country? Yes. But D.C. as an area is vastly prettier and more interesting than the majority of cities (and states for that matter). The crime in the city is very bad, but it is getting better. I've never felt unsafe at the Mall area or any of the well known public parts of DC. I agree that it is a shame that many of the very nice looking close in neighborhoods are full of crime.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,473,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
When I was living in Colorado, I heard that Denver would be designated as the temporary national capital if Washington DC was destroyed by a catastrophic natural or man-made disaster (i.e. giant meteorite or nuclear holocaust). That is because Denver is the only metropolitan area outside of Washington DC that has offices of every significant federal government agency. The Denver Federal Center, actually located in the suburb of Lakewood, is a huge complex.
I've heard the same too, for years.

My vote would be for anywhere mid-west. There's more space, less congestion & a medium sized town will benefit economically from tourists. Not Boston, please. We're crowded enough, where would they put the building? We've enough congestion on the roads, too & enough politics to keep us in the news for many years to come, in the land of Kennedy...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Well I'd rather live in the D.C. area than most parts of this mostly dull country. Yes there is crime in the city, but you can live in Northern Virginia and have accessibity to all of what D.C. has to offer. Are there better parts of the country? Yes. But D.C. as an area is vastly prettier and more interesting than the majority of cities (and states for that matter). The crime in the city is very bad, but it is getting better. I've never felt unsafe at the Mall area or any of the well known public parts of DC. I agree that it is a shame that many of the very nice looking close in neighborhoods are full of crime.
Yup got nice burbs. Old Town Alexandria, Great Falls, Leesburg, Potomac River area. However you think this country is mostly dull thats wrong lol. I think there are plenty of cities or areas down south i would rather live than in the DC area. You got nice burbs in other cities like LA, Philly, New York, San Francisco, not just DC

Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 PM

3,927 posts, read 7,887,531 times
Can you just see our current government officials in the Mid-West? LOL, that would be something to see for sure.

I vote for Bismark, ND, where it gets good n cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.