Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the nation's capital moved, what city would make the best capital?
Boston 20 10.99%
New York 52 28.57%
Philadelphia 49 26.92%
Chicago 61 33.52%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 PM

609 posts, read 2,915,243 times

Advertisements

But at the end of the day, the capital will remain in DC. Probably better that way as it keeps all the headaches associated with being the nation's capital on the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:28 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,577,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
If there was a proposal to move the nation's capital from Washington, D.C., what city would make the best capital?
#1 pick Hollywood Calif. (they are one in the same), followed closely by Orlando Fla. (Disney World)

Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,385,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Exactly what I was thinking when I read your response. Why put it in a city which already is all built up and congested - that would just be ridiculous and impractical. Instead put it in an now rural and centralized area of the U.S.. Before moving everything in, build up the infrastructure, subway, airport, and roadways accomodating for massive future growth. Prepare for and facilitate a future metropolis.
That's what they did to create Washington. Look what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well I can tell you that Dallas and Houston are out of the question for one reason: unseasonable weather. Too many people complain and bicker about the heat. Besides that, I just don't want the capital to be in either.
Both cities are much better than D.C.'s extreme cold and heat. The worst of both worlds are in that city. I'd like Houston to become the capital so we can create Mexico City in America. Mexico City is very nice! That place is so nice that I probably won't visit Cancun because of the lack of urbanity and the heat and humidity. America's Financial and Government center in Houston!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,544,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Both cities are much better than D.C.'s extreme cold and heat. The worst of both worlds are in that city. I'd like Houston to become the capital so we can create Mexico City in America. Mexico City is very nice! That place is so nice that I probably won't visit Cancun because of the lack of urbanity and the heat and humidity. America's Financial and Government center in Houston!
I don't know. I just can't see it happening. Houston has always been the big city that sat somewhat under the radar, and now that I think about it, I kind of like it that way. All the other pretentious cities can have all the attention.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Why Chicago? Do we want our elected officials to learn corruption? How about New York's virtual police state. Why would anyone want them to be influenced by that?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM

353 posts, read 500,078 times
Denver? NO!

We do NOT want the capital here. The great thing about Denver is that it is far away from the the long, greedy arm of the government--the last thing we want is to have in our own backyard.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:48 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,214,957 times
If the capital moved, then perhaps DC would finally get statehood. The end of "Taxation Without Representation!" You'd also see Washington go high-rise in a second (well, at least the areas that aren't in the flight path approach to National Airport).

Old 05-21-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Denver? NO!

We do NOT want the capital here. The great thing about Denver is that it is far away from the the long, greedy arm of the government--the last thing we want is to have in our own backyard.
Don't you want stable, high-paying jobs in Denver? That's what most cities would like. But I think the Colorado capital would have to be moved to another city like Colorado Springs before the federal government would move in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If the capital moved, then perhaps DC would finally get statehood. The end of "Taxation Without Representation!" You'd also see Washington go high-rise in a second (well, at least the areas that aren't in the flight path approach to National Airport).
No, D.C. would be retroceded to Maryland just like the Arlington/Alexandria side was to Virginia in 1847.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,778,972 times
Why New York City and Chicago, that would suck. They are winning as usual becuase they have the most people and popularity (becuase they have the most people).

I think Boston should be it if D.C. were unavailable. In the state of Massachusetts. Plymouth Rock.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:06 PM

609 posts, read 2,915,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Why New York City and Chicago, that would suck. They are winning as usual becuase they have the most people and popularity (becuase they have the most people).

I think Boston should be it if D.C. were unavailable. In the state of Massachusetts. Plymouth Rock.
Still think ST. Louis could be possible. It's lost a lot of its businesses, so it would nice to have something revitalize its economy. Plus it's near the nation's "population center", which is just miles west of St. Louis. It also has historical appeal given its role in the Louisana Purchase. And it is closer to the center of the country, making it easier for West Coasters to get to the nation's capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.