Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If the nation's capital moved, what city would make the best capital?
Boston 20 10.99%
New York 52 28.57%
Philadelphia 49 26.92%
Chicago 61 33.52%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:52 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Yes I'd like to see it close to center and not in the east. Not that i expect they'll move it soon.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read your response. Why put it in a city which already is all built up and congested - that would just be ridiculous and impractical. Instead put it in an now rural and centralized area of the U.S.. Before moving everything in, build up the infrastructure, subway, airport, and roadways accomodating for massive future growth. Prepare for and facilitate a future metropolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 07:37 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
Yup got nice burbs. Old Town Alexandria, Great Falls, Leesburg, Potomac River area. However you think this country is mostly dull thats wrong lol. I think there are plenty of cities or areas down south i would rather live than in the DC area. You got nice burbs in other cities like LA, Philly, New York, San Francisco, not just DC
I agree. If one travels about, it's an amazing country we're lucky enough to be born into.

Re: "Originally Posted by JakeDog - Well I'd rather live in the D.C. area than most parts of this mostly dull country."

This is a beautiful country. I've travelled all over, lived all over, including cross country trips. I'd recommend one for you. I doubt you'll find it dull. Breathtaking, yes. Dull, no.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,732 times
I would prefer something more in the center of the country so it offers easy access to both coasts. California at times seems so far removed from the rest of country.

Candidate cities:
Chicago
St. Louis
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Houston

But it's just personal preference.
St. Louis could be revitalized since it lost lots of Fortune 500 companies over the years. SO maybe it can revitalize with government. It would revitalize their airport, it offers omnidirectional access from the North, South, East, and West. It could become the true "Gateway CIty" again and bring it back to glory.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:42 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
None of the above. I'd stick it centrally in Denver.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:22 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
I would prefer something more in the center of the country so it offers easy access to both coasts. California at times seems so far removed from the rest of country.

Candidate cities:
Chicago
St. Louis
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Houston

But it's just personal preference.
St. Louis could be revitalized since it lost lots of Fortune 500 companies over the years. SO maybe it can revitalize with government. It would revitalize their airport, it offers omnidirectional access from the North, South, East, and West. It could become the true "Gateway CIty" again and bring it back to glory.
Well I can tell you that Dallas and Houston are out of the question for one reason: unseasonable weather. Too many people complain and bicker about the heat. Besides that, I just don't want the capital to be in either. Think about it. All of those big beautiful skyscrapers and all of those businesses. Suppose the capital city became a target of terrorism again? Same thing for Chicago and New York. Capitals don't need to be in really big cities or metros because they already have enough chaos going on. So I say Denver also.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well I can tell you that Dallas and Houston are out of the question for one reason: unseasonable weather. Too many people complain and bicker about the heat. Besides that, I just don't want the capital to be in either. Think about it. All of those big beautiful skyscrapers and all of those businesses. Suppose the capital city became a target of terrorism again? Same thing for Chicago and New York. Capitals don't need to be in really big cities or metros because they already have enough chaos going on. So I say Denver also.
Good point MPOPE.

I vote for St. Louis..it's not to far from the population center of the country, which is in Missouri just to the west of St. Louis. It's a city that needs redevelopment and revitalization after losing all those companies. It's historic, so it offers charm.

And yes, Dallas and Houston are better suited for corporations, beautiful high rises, etc.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:35 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
I like it where it is, didn't see that option listed.

You almost NEED to have the nation's capital in a city that is built on government. All of those cities have enough chaos already and using one as the capital of the US would be like throwing gas on a fire. Besides I can't see D.C. in any other city than...well...D.C.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:46 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Exactly what I was thinking when I read your response. Why put it in a city which already is all built up and congested - that would just be ridiculous and impractical. Instead put it in an now rural and centralized area of the U.S.. Before moving everything in, build up the infrastructure, subway, airport, and roadways accomodating for massive future growth. Prepare for and facilitate a future metropolis.
Kinda like Canberra and Brasilia, eh? I see the logic, but I'm a big recycler. How about Detroit? Pump a little life into a once grand American city!

Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM

That's why I mentioned St. Louis

Breathe some life into the city

Old 05-18-2007, 07:00 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Isn't obvious what the nation's capital would be? St. Louis, Missouri! You can't get any more central than that! it was originally considered to moved here I believe.

Last edited by Yac; 05-20-2007 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.