U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:51 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,279,412 times

Advertisements

"Is the stereotype of the hard-drinkin' moonshine-brewing, Jack Daniels-swillin Scots-irish Southerner all wrong?"

Yes, it is. They prefer Beam, it's more cost-effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:35 PM

2,816 posts, read 5,394,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
There is a misconception about who the Scotch-irish were. The Scotch-Irish were French, German, Swiss, Scottish, and English.

You may be thinking of the Irish, who are stereotyped as such.
If they're French, German, Scottish or English then they're not Scots-Irish.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:37 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,981,160 times
They aren't all SOUTHERNERS either.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:10 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
They aren't all SOUTHERNERS either.
Yup. Some of the most Scots-Irish places in America are in Western Pennsylvania. The Northern Rockies and Maine also seem to have a good deal of that ethnicity.

File:Scotch irish1346.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-22-2009, 04:34 AM

34,708 posts, read 33,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
I was looking at this map

http://thepanhandlersguide.com/wp-co...nsumption.jpeg

I noticed that the Appalachian states of TN, WV, and KY have the lowest levels of alcohol consumption. That shocked me.. (and yes, i do realize there are many evangelicals who live there and that Christianity frowns upon drunkeness)
I'm presuming the stats for consumption come from alcohol sales because really, how do they count the booze you make yourself? Then I wonder, if you actually go into a bar/store to buy booze do they check your national origin? I don't think so. Lastly, since I can't bring up the link (you need to link to the page not the jpg picture if you use the Insert Link icon), is it based on percentages of the population or population numbers? If it's based on numbers of alcohol sales, we just don't have as many people as some other locations. And yes, there are a lot of baptists, here.

P.S. Last I heard the Jack Daniels distillery is in a dry county.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,749,374 times
Quote:
I called Colonel Vaughn Wilson in Mulberry, Arkansas, to chat about his unusual products. They are fully functional, 99.9 percent pure copper vessels capable of distilling alcohol in amounts from 10 gallons on up. The Colonel says he shipped one 60-gallon model to a customer in Tennessee, but his best customers (in descending order) live in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee. He claims to have shipped his wares to every state in the country.
The perfect Christmas gift: your own copper moonshine still Tennessee Guy

Old 11-25-2009, 02:59 AM

938 posts, read 2,595,064 times
This thread amuses me.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:05 AM

13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
If they're French, German, Scottish or English then they're not Scots-Irish.

Read the third paragraph...

Scotch-Irish American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 AM

13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
There is a misconception about who the Scotch-irish were. The Scotch-Irish were French, German, Swiss, Scottish, and English.

You may be thinking of the Irish, who are stereotyped as such.

i think you are misinterpreting that map.

you posted it wrong,

http://thepanhandlersguide.com/wp-co...nsumption.jpeg

but I looked it up on the website, and took a look -

it measures the percentage of people who have had 1 alcoholic drink in the past 30 days. In an area with a high percentage of evangelical protestants, you will have a higher number of people who abstain completely. Other regions will have higher numbers of catholics and athiests, who I suspect will be more likely to drink casually (at least 1 drink a month). So really you are just measuring the prevalence of casual, minor alcohol consumption - while your conclusion is that of severe alcohol consumption.

It sounds like what you need to do is find a dataset that shows alcoholism rates, and how likely people are to have multiple drinks in shorter periods of time.

For what it is worth, I think you are correct - I am betting that the Scots-Irish south is going to have high rates of liquor consumption, as well as high rates of alcoholism, considering their climate. The biggest factor in alcohol consumption seems to be climate. People in cold climates drink far more.

Everyone that posted on this thread should read this...

Scotch-Irish American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,014,353 times
That's because there are two very different types of Southerners who live side by side. There's the hardcore, Bible Belt Christians. Their lives revolve around church. Probably there every day of the week. And then there's the hard-drinking, moonshine-brewing, (yeah everything else in the title) These people probably believe in God, but could give a damn about church.

Then there's the people in the middle who are influenced by both groups. Sometimes individuals have characteristics from both since both groups are influential in the South. That's why people think of both of these stereotypes when they think about the South, even though they seem to contradict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.