Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
thanks ohiogirl, i live in center city philadelphia and even though those are nice photos they dont show the murder rate--yeah we are numero uno in the country now!!! they dont show the racism and segregation of the population, they never show you the Beirut looking endless miles of North Philadelphia and the gentrifyers huddled together against the poor as they move in. doesnt show the way the people look suspiciously at you on the street if you are a black male, even if you are a well dressed black male. doesnt show that a city 80 percent Democrat practices racial divisions, even had a cross burning in an Interracial families yard in South Philly last year.

Pictures dont show what is going on street level esp from the perspective of a person who comes in only for work or weekends--on the grounds it is not a great place, but it is the place I was sent to work

Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 PM

irwin, no one said there wasnt segregation in red states--but at least they are not promoting the fact that they are progressive, openminded and liberal

Old 04-13-2007, 02:14 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Default what-

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
richmond, va.

miserable hateful racial little town!
What happened in Richmond? I have sensed I may not like it there.

I would add

1.) Mobile, Alabama. Stopped there on the way to New Orleans.

2.) SW Georgia/small town on Florida/Ga. border

Old 04-13-2007, 02:25 PM

we can take those kinds of pictures in most cities up and down the eastern seaboard--all our American cities have beautiful images, but thats not the entire picture unless one closes their eyes to the problems.

Even my most beloved cities have major problems that I wouldnt sweep under the rug to promote it

Old 04-13-2007, 04:34 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
we can take those kinds of pictures in most cities up and down the eastern seaboard--all our American cities have beautiful images, but thats not the entire picture unless one closes their eyes to the problems.

Even my most beloved cities have major problems that I wouldnt sweep under the rug to promote it
I would agree that every major city (and even the small cities and towns) have sorry areas that if you judged the entire city on that area alone, the place would be pretty sorry and "crummy." Even Paris, one of my favorite cities, has some REALLY sketchy areas where you would not want to go. If you judged New York only by the South Bronx, you would think it is the worst place on earth.

I am not saying that Philly is the best city in the US. I don't even think it is the best city in the Northeast. But to say that it is the crummiest city in America...come on. Just look at Gary, Indiana or Detroit.

I mean, any city that has a movie made about it where the plot centers around the fact that crime is so bad and the city is so out of control they have to build a homicidal robot to control the place HAS to be somewhere near the bottom!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM

17 posts, read 172,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
There's a lot of talk on this forum about the best places to live. How 'bout we take a different trajectory and shout out the worst places that this great big country of ours has to offer. Don't just give names, say why they suck!

So let's have it -- how many armpits does this country have anyway?

Magpies

Are we going by crime statistics?

Compton,CA. Detriot,MI. Camden,NJ. Washington,DC. Oakland,CA. Richmond,CA. Would be the worst if your talking murders,assults etc.

I'm sure a lot of places that I would hate to live in, I've never been to. I call tell you Fresno,CA cause the weather is horrible and I don't like Central Cali. I'm all about Northern Cali and L.A.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:39 PM

i hear ya Irwin, but for that matter Detroit and Gary can say the same thing(that they are bad but not the crummiest city). So, since this thread is based on what people INDIVIDUAL subjective opinions are, I see it as the crummiest city. To me, having lived in cities in the South, Southwest, Northeast and Northwest and also in Canada and Central America and having travelled to other major cities in the US and Detroit is on the crummy list for sure, I find in MY personal experience it to be.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
even though I feel bad for people who have to live there, or are trying to make it a better place -- there should always be hope --

I have to back up Gary, Ind (and many of the surrounding areas) as the crummiest place to live in America. It's in a leauge of its own, except for maybe Detroit or some other place I have never witnessed for myself. (from what I have read Chelsea sounds pretty crummy!)

Gary, Ind....is so bad its intriguing. I hope that people who have ties to the area can make it a better place. Its on Lake Michigan, near Chicago, and has, from what I understand a pretty good airport with some cheap flights!

Gary needs to be smelled to be believed, and for those who dont believe I challenge you to get off the expressway/interstate/tollway whatever and drive around Gary with your doors unlocked in the middle of the night ...or day for that matter. I did this when I was 18 years old, not knowing any better and got stopped at a rail road crossing by a frieght train.....my friend and I were so scared the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up until about an hour later when were about 40 safe miles away.

I have tried various shortcuts over the years trying to avoid traffic on 80/90/94 or whatever between Michigan state parks and northern Illinois...my advice to anyone, just dont be too adventerous with the map and taking routes outside of the major highways in far northwest indiana or southeast of chicago!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 12:11 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I have tried various shortcuts over the years trying to avoid traffic on 80/90/94 or whatever between Michigan state parks and northern Illinois...my advice to anyone, just dont be too adventerous with the map and taking routes outside of the major highways in far northwest indiana or southeast of chicago!!!!!!!!!!
I fill up on gas in either Monee, IL or Chesterton, IN ... between there, I don't dare exit the expressway.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:36 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
I would say Irvington,NJ. Last year it was second to Camden and is more impoverished than Camden. Also it has the highest rate of youth voilence in the Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.