U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 AM

36 posts, read 55,917 times

Advertisements

hi, used to be a member here a while ago but left for a while, but the itch in on again to find a spot that would work well...

i really only have a couple things im looking for:

-rural lifestyle (like small towns with preferable access to a medium size town. i dont really care if i live close to a huge city)
-cool weather (im fine with snow, but i absolutely cant stand hot and humid summers. am fine with some heat if theres low humidity, but i much prefer cool summers. this is really the only dealbreaker)

some other preferences would include a more liberal and gay-friendly region since i am both (but im not expecting it since im aware the areas i like to live in are more conservative). also cheap housing is a plus

for regions ive looked at, ive been to all 50 states so i have some idea of how they look for most of em. i prefer the west over the east but i wouldnt be against the northeast. though for some reason ive been drawn more to the southwest lately (the high altitude areas that dont get hot summers). ive also looked at alaska, and canada isnt ruled out either.

not asking to pinpoint exact small towns, but areas would be interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 AM

21,255 posts, read 30,528,126 times
It's a good that you've left options open for the Northeast/New England, as you're going to find some many nice small town choices there that are both liberal and gay-friendly. I'm gay as well and have researched many towns in New England as I hope to leave big city life in the near future. Good luck!

Towns that immediately come to mind as a good fit are:

Burlington, Vermont (even though it's the largest city in Vermont, the population is just 38,000)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burlington,_Vermont

Middlebury, Vermont
Middlebury, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Montpelier, Vermont
Montpelier, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brattleboro, Vermont
Brattleboro, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northampton, Massachusetts
Northampton, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ithaca, NY
Ithaca, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or