U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,628,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I think that the U.S. should have French as second language as Canada.
NO, not Spanish, even though it's more Spanish than French speaking here.

French is spoken by much more countries than it is of the Spanish.
It's also the second most widely spoken language in the world after English.

French is the most romantic language in the world! VIVE LA FRANCAIS!!
you are preaching to the choir however to be fair to the americans, spanish is easier and --english and spanish are on the top 4 languages most spoken in the world. many countries speak french but they are tiny countries. french did not make the top 10 most spoken list. but as to influence and a good role model france is 2nd to none.

je suis desole (im sorry)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 PM

32,376 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
je suis desole
This must sound awfully perdy.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,136,788 times
French is not even the second most widely spoken language in Europe, let alone the world.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM

32,376 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Something else I just thought of.

Its amazing to me how many people around the world learned to speak Standard American English(dunno if that's what its called-I guess). The UK is right next to them but Ive found that people on the continent speak english much more like Americans.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:33 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
A bit odd perhaps, but maybe not. It's not as extreme as with Portuguese, where a high majority of its speakers are from Brazil rather than Portugal, but US English is the dominant form of that language. Going by one estimate the US accounts for over 60% of those who speak English as a first language.

Ethnologue report for language code: eng

In my experience many British people respond with annoyance or even anger at that, but it's not really something I'm saying as a "rah rah" American thing. It's just the way the statistics break down. If you're going to learn English it's currently more useful, for most purposes, to learn the American form as it's larger and more important to the world economy. In the nineteenth century it would have been more useful to learn British English and at some point in this century it might become more useful to learn India English.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,486,361 times
Actually, I have the opposite opinion. French needs to be eliminated as an option for our high school students. As does German. They are useless and tied to countries that are declining in importance whose residents can already speak English in international situations.

Too many high schools offer only Spanish, French and German as the foreign language options. I'm in favor of eliminating French and German in favor of Mandarin Chinese and possibly Arabic/Japanese or another language that is more important to US interests in increasingly important countries that have already surpassed France and Germany in global importance.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 PM

517 posts, read 1,156,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Actually, I have the opposite opinion. French needs to be eliminated as an option for our high school students. As does German. They are useless and tied to countries that are declining in importance whose residents can already speak English in international situations.

Too many high schools offer only Spanish, French and German as the foreign language options. I'm in favor of eliminating French and German in favor of Mandarin Chinese and possibly Arabic/Japanese or another language that is more important to US interests in increasingly important countries that have already surpassed France and Germany in global importance.
What I seem to notice is high schools offer languages that are most spoken in the region the school located in. For example I went to a very large/diverse high school (over 4,000) in the Bay Area and we had the choices of taking Sign Language, Spanish, Filipino (Tagalog), Punjabi, French, or Mandrian.

We had a very large Asian population so that's why the school offered Mandrian and Tagalog. Also the school had a pretty big population of students from India and Pakistan and the students rallied to get Punjabi as a course.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,213,000 times
Sure pal, we'll get right on that -- as soon as we convert to metric.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I think that the U.S. should have French as second language as Canada.
NO, not Spanish, even though it's more Spanish than French speaking here.

French is spoken by much more countries than it is of the Spanish.
It's also the second most widely spoken language in the world after English.

French is the most romantic language in the world! VIVE LA FRANCAIS!!
This post is....... an extreme failure on sooo many levels.

First, the in the Map you show, there are only 2 native Nations/States of French, and all of the other countries have their own languages that are far more used because they were imperialistic colonies of France, as opposed to Spain's policy of integrating Natives and almost eliminating the Native languages. French has the 9th largest amount of Native speakers with 77 million, Spanish has 2nd with 329 million. French is 4th most widely spoken with 467 Million, Spanish is 3rd with approximately 500 million, and compare these maps, the darker the blue, the more widely spoken and the darkest blue means its a native language.
Spanish,

French

Again, failure of a post.

Oh, y vive español, y no, no soy hispano. Soy noruego, alemán y polaco.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:16 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
What I seem to notice is high schools offer languages that are most spoken in the region the school located in. For example I went to a very large/diverse high school (over 4,000) in the Bay Area and we had the choices of taking Sign Language, Spanish, Filipino (Tagalog), Punjabi, French, or Mandrian.

We had a very large Asian population so that's why the school offered Mandrian and Tagalog. Also the school had a pretty big population of students from India and Pakistan and the students rallied to get Punjabi as a course.
Wow, no German?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or