U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 04:29 AM

366 posts, read 234,594 times

Advertisements

I wish that I could speak Spanish and French. I love the idea of speaking in other languages.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 05:02 AM

32,089 posts, read 32,994,562 times
Probably Mandarin Chinese should be taught as a second language with a global future in mind.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,633,124 times
I think a second language is over-rated for the US. I only know English and that's all I've ever needed to know. I did know Polish a little at one time while taking it as a foreign language in high school. My parents were fluent in Polish and English and my grand-parents came from Poland so they knew the language perfectly. Unfortunately, since I didn't use the language after high school, I would be lucky to follow a simple conversation. Again, I don't think knowing another language would benefit me at all. Everyone I deal with on a daily basis read, writes and speaks English as their first language.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 AM

7,137 posts, read 9,911,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Have you ever even been to Canada? (I live across the border) You might get all the signs in both languages, but you only really hear French in the province of Quebec ( the French part of Canada). There is a lot of division on whether the country "has" 2 languages -- most people will only speak one (thier own). Depending on where you are, if you speak the other, you can get odd reactions.

We don't need that aggravation. FWIW, I speak Spanish and I am not hispanic/I don't think we need a second language at all.
Bingo.

On the local level Quebec speaking French is great but to have two National languages in the entirety of Canada is less so IMHO. Even worse is the situation in Belgium.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 17,046 times
No this is dumb...

wow.

no.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,388,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
I think that the U.S. should have French as second language as Canada.
NO, not Spanish, even though it's more Spanish than French speaking here.

French is spoken by much more countries than it is of the Spanish.
It's also the second most widely spoken language in the world after English.

French is the most romantic language in the world! VIVE LA FRANCAIS!!
You could start by learning Engliah, pal, never mind a second language. And when you're done with that, learn some French (Vive la francais?).

Old 11-21-2009, 10:38 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
I don't see as to where having a second language such as French or even Spanish would really serve any purpose. The reality is that the great majority of people can learn another language if they really desire. Learn English.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,325,746 times
In the US, Spanish > French

Plus, I think Spanish is much more fun to speak and is extremely useful. I don't really like the French language at all. Not romantic at all imo

Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 PM

358 posts, read 646,465 times
Quote:

If you are going to start a thread, can you at least get your facts right?

English is the not second most widely spoken language in the world, that would be Mandarin. And French is not even close to being the second most widely spoken language in the world, it's more like the 17th.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM

59 posts, read 207,211 times
Quote:

No way! This language (French) made some parts of English grammar horroble and unpredictible (original English grew up from German, and after time Normans who spoke French invited England). Better make German second langugage, or Spanich, or Russian, or ... but not Franch!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or