U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,223,189 times

Advertisements

Saying french is spoken in all of Canada is like saying everyone speaks fluent Spanish in the US. I know maybe 10-20 French words....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 AM

594 posts, read 948,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Saying french is spoken in all of Canada is like saying everyone speaks fluent Spanish in the US. I know maybe 10-20 French words....
Really? Don't you guys learn French at school?
It's the second language in Canada. Very surprised

Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
Really? Don't you guys learn French at school?
It's the second language in Canada. Very surprised
Just because a Country has a second official language doesn't mean that it is forced upon the people to learn it. What it means is that all paperwork on the GOVERNMENTAL level is done in both languages. The Official Languages in Canada: Federal Policy

Also the only Provence that is bi-lingual is New Brunswick, Quebec has French as their Provencal language and is not considered bi-lingual. All other Provence's have English as the sole "Official" language of the Provence.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 AM

594 posts, read 948,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Just because a Country has a second official language doesn't mean that it is forced upon the people to learn it. What it means is that all paperwork on the GOVERNMENTAL level is done in both languages. The Official Languages in Canada: Federal Policy

Also the only Provence that is bi-lingual is New Brunswick, Quebec has French as their Provencal language and is not considered bi-lingual. All other Provence's have English as the sole "Official" language of the Provence.
Yeah but most of the paperwork is written in both Spanish and English in America, doesn't mean everybody speaks Spanish here.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
I'm confused why we would make French our dual official language????

It's spoken at home by less than one-half of one percent of the population. That population is centered in southern Louisanna and Northern Maine, with the rest of the country for all intents being void of the French language.

Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could see Louisanna and Maine having dual languages (which they do) - but as far as the rest of the country I think French would place up there with Dutch, Swedish, Finnish or any other language of the world.

Even worldwide French is spoken by 70 million people as their native language - which is very far down on the list.

200 million speak it as their native language or as a second language - which ranks it 9th in the world.

List of languages by number of native speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the USA were going to have a second language - I think Spanish would be the obvious choice. It has the second highest number of speakers by almost 10X that of the 3rd in line (Chinese), and Spanish is among the top languages of the world. Around 5 times as many people speak Spanish as their native language, and over 2 times as many people know it as either their native or second language.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Quote:
Yeah but most of the paperwork is written in both Spanish and English in America, doesn't mean everybody speaks Spanish here.
Hello... that's what I am trying to say. Just like Canada where the Gov't does have an official 2nd language, not everybody is going to speak it or have it taught to them if they don't want it.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM

13 posts, read 17,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I took two semesters of French in college and honestly I didn't find it difficult. If you can pass one language with straight As I did (not to be bragging), Spanish will come easy. Romance languages generally have similar words and syntax. Try the German syntax some time.

The hardest language I ever encountered is Latin. It takes daily work to keep up with it.

Russian could be tough as one must learn the cyrillic alphabet to read and understand Russian. Likewise with Greek and its alphabet. I could go on and on all night but I will stop here.
I know this is off base for this thread but just for the record, I find German in many ways closer to English structurally than Romance languages are. I have spoken German for many years, and grew up well exposed to romance languages as well (Italian and Spanish).

The Greek alphabet also comes quickly if you study (I'm not particularly fluent at Greek, but I have taken modern Greek at the university level-- it is not has hard as one would think).

Ah, language!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:28 AM

35 posts, read 133,611 times
Quote:
I think that the U.S. should have French as second language as Canada.
NO, not Spanish, even though it's more Spanish than French speaking here.

French is spoken by much more countries than it is of the Spanish.
It's also the second most widely spoken language in the world after English.

French is the most romantic language in the world! VIVE LA FRANCAIS!!
at least learn it correctly

vive LE francais

I live in france and HATE THE LANGUAGE, After a while it sounds so aggguguugugggh

a lot of people who claim to love french, love it only because it sounded cute or sexy in a song or a movie, but hear it 24/7 and you'll go NUTS, especially when used by the lower class french people.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,536,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Quote:
I think that the U.S. should have French as second language as Canada.
NO, not Spanish, even though it's more Spanish than French speaking here.

French is spoken by much more countries than it is of the Spanish.
It's also the second most widely spoken language in the world after English.

French is the most romantic language in the world! VIVE LA FRANCAIS!!
You could start by learning Engliah, pal, never mind a second language. And when you're done with that, learn some French (Vive la francais?).
Hahahaha.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:52 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,845,022 times
I think America is tooo far behind other nation's when it comes to foriegn literacy and it's not a good thing. It's almost like we, as a country, feel like we're too good to teach our children foreign languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or