U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:46 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times

Advertisements

Yes I am. Growing up I couldn't wait to get out and go different places. Not because it was so bad, just a bad case of wanderlust. After being away for 20+ years and 11 different cities scattered over 3 different sates, I was very glad when jobs and life brought me and my own family now back "home". I now live a stones throw away from the schools I attended and only a couple miles from my old childhood home. Most of my friends have left and then returned when they started having families. Kind of shows how much the place really is a good place to raise kids. Small town values still and yet close enough to other locations to take small trips all over the Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,991,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Not at all, never ever ever lol. I can't wait to get up out of this piece, Southside Jamaica, Queens, NYC sucks. I want to live in either FL, GA, SC, NC, or CA.

Yep this New Yorker is not attached to NYC at all.
I know what you mean. I feel the same way about Chicaago. People that come here think this is heaven on earth. Chicago has a great downtown and that's about it.

With exception of CA, I'll be moving to one of the states that you listed.

Last edited by Ron.; 11-22-2009 at 01:53 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 01:41 AM

1,779 posts, read 3,486,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yes I am. Growing up I couldn't wait to get out and go different places. Not because it was so bad, just a bad case of wanderlust. After being away for 20+ years and 11 different cities scattered over 3 different sates, I was very glad when jobs and life brought me and my own family now back "home". I now live a stones throw away from the schools I attended and only a couple miles from my old childhood home. Most of my friends have left and then returned when they started having families. Kind of shows how much the place really is a good place to raise kids. Small town values still and yet close enough to other locations to take small trips all over the Country.
I always did like West Michigan when I lived in MI. Much better than the other parts of the state to me.

My wrath in the previous post was directed at Metro Detroit, not West MI.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,080,156 times
I guess it kinda depends on your personality and want of adventure or change or maybe bad experiences you've had in the past where you have lived.
I have lived in the same area where I grew up for 62+ years except for time in the service.
I have roots here. Family, home, friends, being familiar with the area and I guess just my own comfort zone.
I'll never leave. I'll be buried here.
I've been other places that I thought I might like to move to. But those other places would have never been "home".
My home is where I was born and raised and lived a pretty good life.
Sometimes I wish I go to the mountains or live by the sea. But it would be superficial without life time roots. I'll be happy to live out the rest of my life at "home".

Old 11-22-2009, 05:32 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I always did like West Michigan when I lived in MI. Much better than the other parts of the state to me.

My wrath in the previous post was directed at Metro Detroit, not West MI.
I know it was, I feel the same way toward Detroit LOL.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,965,340 times
I like it, and I'd have no problem living there again, but I'm not crazy about it. (it's turning into a whole other town in my opinion)

Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
I use to be attached my hometown and when I moved from there I miss it a lot. However, when I went back to visit; I realized how much of a hell-hole it had become and it just didn't feel the same anymore.

I don't even want to go back for Thanksgiving because of how boring it is. I tried to convince my parents to come down to Houston, but they couldn't.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:10 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,053,143 times
I have no connection at all to my hometown. I am roughly 2,000 miles away and I don't care if I ever go back, even for a visit.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,888,883 times
I'll always have SOME sort of roots in and connection to my hometown. My parents will be here until their dying day, and after that my brother and sister-in-law might still be here, and families of close friends. I might even like to come back permanently someday, and by then it might be a little more "enlightened" and diverse than it is now.

But it's not so much the city itself that I'm attached to. Outside of the city itself, in the natural areas, it feels like home in a way that nowhere else could because that is where I spent my childhood. The mountains that front the city limits will always be instantly recognizable to me. The flora is a very unique blend found nowhere else in the world, and it immediately strikes me as being "home".

But yes, I love my hometown and I'm proud to be from Josephine County, Oregon. It's a unique and special place and sets a high standard for anywhere else I might go. It's breathtakingly beautiful and the people are great. It'd be the perfect place to get away from the world after I'm done getting out there and seeing the world.

It's generally the culture of people my age from this place to get out. They may come back, but you generally won't find them having never left after 15 years. And the older people who live here are usually from Portland or Washington or California or Alaska or wherever else. It's definitely a bit transient.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:14 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
What exactly is your hometown? Is it the town/city where you spent most of your years from 0 - 18 or is it the place you lived in the longest for most of your life regardless of age? Is it where your parents/siblings live now? Also, if you move from one part of town to another part of town, and it's large enough so you go to different schools and shop in different places, how attached are you to the town/city you grew up in?

I spent 3rd grade - 9th grade in one part of town and 10th -12th grade in another part of the same town. Different people, different church, different schools, different stores.

No one I know still lives in the town on Long Island where I lived when I was between 7 - 18 years old and then again, for 1 more year when I was 20. I have zero attachment to it and no reason to visit it. I still have friends and a relative in different places in the county, though, but I never lived in those places. I did live in the county, though, until I was 43 (with a 3 year break in DC) so I suppose I feel more of an attachment to a vicinity than I do a particular town.

I've lived in two different states for 13.5 years since leaving the state where I lived most of my life.

I wish I had an attachment to a hometown but I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.