U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,141,407 times

Advertisements

Only place I've personally seen them is in Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:08 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,113,036 times
Indianapolis has residential alleys in much of the original city limits; though some are in pretty significant disrepair. Some alleys, such as in the Fall Creek Place neighborhood, are freshly paved.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:34 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,430,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
My reasoning was that alleys take up a lot of room, so by their very nature reduce the density of housing in a given area.

But maybe alleys are more common in areas with mid-rise and high-rise residential areas?
Maybe it depends on the size of the block and the lots. Alleys allow houses and buildings to be fairly close to each other, as there's no driveway cutting into the space. I suppose the alley space could cut into the lot size and mean a smaller core yard.

In Minneapolis the alley neighborhoods range from all single family homes to all apartment buildings, with many of the blocks being a mix of single family homes, duplexes, and mid-rise apartment buildings.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:43 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,692,794 times
The oldest neighborhoods in Shreveport have alleys; many had garages located behind the houses and one turned into a very short driveway from the alleys. The NHs built in the 20s and 30s did away with those; having driveways which were in the front from the streets.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:09 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,845,592 times
This is in Norfolk, Va. Photo taken by XgrendelX.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:24 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,971,236 times
Alley's are mostly found where the population density is lower?
False.

Alleys are mostly found where population density is high...

Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,878,294 times
Alleys in Dallas are so the garages can be on the back of the house. Cars drive down the alleys so they are at least the width of a car. Garbage cans are on the alleys, so the trash trucks go down the alleys. It makes the front of the houses look better.

Used to be the cheapest houses had the front entry garages. Once you hit a certain price point you had an alley and rear entry garages.

Then with all the new cheap McMansions coming in, they got rid of the alleys and went back to front entry.

Newcomers who move to Dallas oftentimes hate neighborhoods with alleys because they say they can't keep up with the comings and goings of their neighbors. (or as they call it - they can't get to know their neighbors). That makes no sense to me. I have an alley and I know all my neighbors. I just don't get to see their every move.

Newcomers also say the alley takes up too much of the back yard and they want the driveway in the front yard. On the other hand, alley lovers like the fact cars aren't parked on the front yard on the driveways making the neighborhood looks trashy. (And in Dallas single family subdivisions, the houses are lined up on small lots with about 10 feet between the houses.)

The above picture of an alley isn't what I am talking about at all. Cars need to get down them.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:44 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
We had alleys all over my hometown. Love riding through them on my bike with my friends as a kid; best times getting chased by dogs!

Old 11-21-2009, 02:31 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,060,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
This is in Norfolk, Va. Photo taken by XgrendelX.
This isn't an alley, in my estimation, it's an alleyway. Alleys are wide enough for motor vehicles to drive thru.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:40 PM

4,475 posts, read 7,299,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Alley's are mostly found where the population density is lower?
False.

Alleys are mostly found where population density is high...
This isn't always true. The area I mentioned earlier, the Ardsley Park neighborhood of Savannah has alleys and that area is low density.

I suppose most of the time though, alleys are found in higher density areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or