U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
6 posts, read 14,216 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

We have lived in Cleveland, Ohio and are looking to relocate. The cities we are looking at: Charleston, Greenville, Ashville and Jacksonville, FL. Schools are most important followed close by weather. We can do private and my husband can work anywhere. We want a community that accepts newcommers but still has a sense of family.

If you could live anywhere, where would you go?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
1,418 posts, read 6,386,602 times
Reputation: 635
I'd choose Greenville or the southern part of Asheville.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Lakewood, CO
353 posts, read 378,941 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbeatpro View Post
We have lived in Cleveland, Ohio and are looking to relocate. The cities we are looking at: Charleston, Greenville, Ashville and Jacksonville, FL. Schools are most important followed close by weather. We can do private and my husband can work anywhere. We want a community that accepts newcommers but still has a sense of family.

If you could live anywhere, where would you go?
Ashville is iffy, don't know about Charleston--though I never imagined it to be terribly kid-friendly, and I think Greenville would be adequate. If you really want a good kids' town--choose Denver. Colorado has one of the country's highest birth rates and family life is huge here. This really is kid-town USA. Louisville, KY isn't bad, either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,027 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Reputation: 33083
There are 11 states that have higher birth rates than Colorado: Alaska, Arizona, California, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas, and Utah. New Mexico's birth rate is the same as Colorado. Birth rate refers to the number of births per 1000 people.

Fertility rate refers to the number of births per 1000 women of childbearing age: 15-44. The above states, plus Hawaii and Oklahoma have higher fertility rates than Colorado. Colorado is in the great middle ground as far as both birth rates and fertility rates. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763849.html

So yes, Colorado is a great place to raise a family for many reasons, but it doesn't have one of the highest birth rates in the nation. BTW, the highest birth rate in the nation is in Utah, which has a birth rate about 50% higher than Colorado (21.2% to 14.9%)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Lakewood, CO
353 posts, read 378,941 times
Reputation: 50
Colorado is actually eighth in birth rate rankings. Nevada is just a little lower and Nebraska is way down the list. Colorado is a nudge ahead of Arizona. I think an area that is big on child-bearing and family life--like Utah or Colorado--is inherently better for kids. There's obviously a big value on family in Colorado to have such a high interest in big families.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 09:23 PM
 
Location: IN
20,863 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Reputation: 13305
Post Additional Kansas info

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
There are 11 states that have higher birth rates than Colorado: Alaska, Arizona, California, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas, and Utah. New Mexico's birth rate is the same as Colorado. Birth rate refers to the number of births per 1000 people.

Fertility rate refers to the number of births per 1000 women of childbearing age: 15-44. The above states, plus Hawaii and Oklahoma have higher fertility rates than Colorado. Colorado is in the great middle ground as far as both birth rates and fertility rates. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763849.html

So yes, Colorado is a great place to raise a family for many reasons, but it doesn't have one of the highest birth rates in the nation. BTW, the highest birth rate in the nation is in Utah, which has a birth rate about 50% higher than Colorado (21.2% to 14.9%)
The only reason that Kansas has higher percentages is because of a couple of meat packing counties in western Kansas. Those counties have a large immigrant hispanic population with extremely high birth rates. These would include Seward, Finney, and Ford. Geary County has high numbers because of the Fort Riley military base. Sedgewick County (Wichita) also has a higher percentage of the population under 5 .If you took these 5 counties out of the 105 in the state that skew the equation Kansas would be similar to the rest of the country. Also the plains states like Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota lose a lot of their younger populations to other states because of the continuing exodus out of the rural plains. The rural counties still have large concentrations of elderly as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 09:25 PM
 
Location: IN
20,863 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Reputation: 13305
Smile Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Colorado is actually eighth in birth rate rankings. Nevada is just a little lower and Nebraska is way down the list. Colorado is a nudge ahead of Arizona. I think an area that is big on child-bearing and family life--like Utah or Colorado--is inherently better for kids. There's obviously a big value on family in Colorado to have such a high interest in big families.
Or it could just be all those family friendly conservatives that are influenced by an extremely high number of sunny days that Colorado and other western states experience
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,027 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Reputation: 33083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Colorado is actually eighth in birth rate rankings. Nevada is just a little lower and Nebraska is way down the list. Colorado is a nudge ahead of Arizona. I think an area that is big on child-bearing and family life--like Utah or Colorado--is inherently better for kids. There's obviously a big value on family in Colorado to have such a high interest in big families.
You must be using a different set of statistics than I found.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top