U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where should every American spend a year of their life?
New York City 32 46.38%
Los Angeles 3 4.35%
The Deep South 11 15.94%
A very small rural town. 23 33.33%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
Reputation: 7280

Advertisements

The Deep south; well I'd say more just the south. Lots of different areas that offer different feels. South Florida is some-what similar to NYC and also the beaches, Austin for a west coast feel, A small southern town or maybe even Atlanta for southern feel, and maybe even north Texas for a midwest feel. I'd even through in the DMV for the NE feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 AM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,779,253 times
Reputation: 3268
I chose a small rural town for several reasons.

One is the historical link. This once is what all America was. It wasn't that long ago that the majority of Americans still lived in small rural towns. I think it would help people understand their roots, origin, what have you. Put them maybe a little closer to the setting or situations that developed people into the people that largely made this country what it is.

Secondly, many if not most Americans have lost all connection with what allows them the ability to live the way we do. There is little understanding or knowledge of what it takes to put food on the table. It doesn't magically appear in the aisles of the grocery store and despite commercials to the contrary, our food is not made by green giants, elves living in trees or happy cows (well maybe they're happy up until the last moment when there is a dawning realization...).

Thirdly, with the majority of Americans living in urban areas, there is a condescension and rudeness towards small rural towns along with the people that inhabit them. Hicks. Rubes. Fly-over country. Red states. Redneck. Ignorant. Hillbilly. This might help a large portion of the population see that people living in smaller rural areas are just that...people. Of all kinds, stripes, colors and opinions and aren't to be automatically discounted just because of where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Reputation: 11136
If we are going after the "real America", I guess one has to spend a year with Sarah Palin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
South Florida is some-what similar to NYC and also the beaches
What??? No...You've never been to NY, you can't compare the 2, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 AM
 
486 posts, read 915,228 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I chose a small rural town for several reasons.

One is the historical link. This once is what all America was. It wasn't that long ago that the majority of Americans still lived in small rural towns. I think it would help people understand their roots, origin, what have you. Put them maybe a little closer to the setting or situations that developed people into the people that largely made this country what it is.

Secondly, many if not most Americans have lost all connection with what allows them the ability to live the way we do. There is little understanding or knowledge of what it takes to put food on the table. It doesn't magically appear in the aisles of the grocery store and despite commercials to the contrary, our food is not made by green giants, elves living in trees or happy cows (well maybe they're happy up until the last moment when there is a dawning realization...).

Thirdly, with the majority of Americans living in urban areas, there is a condescension and rudeness towards small rural towns along with the people that inhabit them. Hicks. Rubes. Fly-over country. Red states. Redneck. Ignorant. Hillbilly. This might help a large portion of the population see that people living in smaller rural areas are just that...people. Of all kinds, stripes, colors and opinions and aren't to be automatically discounted just because of where they live.
I agree...we're all people. You may want to relay that to the rural-types who have many negative things to say about city people. I see more negativity of rural people toward city-dwellers on here than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What??? No...You've never been to NY, you can't compare the 2, lol.
Your right; On that remark I was just basing off what I've heard about the two being compared. I've been to South Florida though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 10:35 AM
 
Location: a swanky suburb in my fancy pants
3,391 posts, read 7,559,210 times
Reputation: 1584
I'll say the rural south. Certainly not NYC, which has little in common with the U.S. Since they say most Americans live in suburbs most of us already know the California lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 10:57 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times
Reputation: 2334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What??? No...You've never been to NY, you can't compare the 2, lol.
There's a reason why they call South Florida the 6th borough of NYC. And yes, I've been to NYC and South Florida. Naples is on the Gulf Coast where a lot of Midwesterners live, so that might be why Naples doesn't feel like NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times
Reputation: 2334
I chose the Deep South. The reason is because there are cities in the South but you don't have to travel very far outside the city to see rural areas. That way, you can see a lot of what America has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Between here and there
159 posts, read 551,680 times
Reputation: 85
What an odd question. The "American experience" is all across the country. America is all 50 states, rural and urban, and if you're anywhere in America, you're experiencing it. My American experience has been of the Midwest and the Pacific Northwest, mostly urban. Someone else's American experience is southern and rural, yet another person's is suburban and eastern, and so on. Without all these different places, America wouldn't be America.

I do think that traveling across the country and visiting as many parts of it as possible is a good idea for anyone who has the means to do so, because no one place is exactly like all the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top