U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times

Advertisements

St Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 14,651 times
Default Thanks for the info

Sorry it took so long to get back, but my work schedule has been insane. Tennesee sounded real nice when we started looking and we visited there in the beginning of November. Stayed in Franklin and visited Cookeville, Nashville, Mufreesboro, Leipers Fork, and Smyrna. We were disappointed with all but Nashville around 21st and Murfreesboro. Really different places, but both had what seemed to be viable downtowns. Spent as much time as we could walking around the towns and tried to get a feel for the places, talking to locals, visiting shops and restaurants etc. Never got over to Knoxville, and after talking to some contractors who are working in this area and live there, and investigating it on this site and others it sounds real promising.

I admit I hadn't considered the Dallas area. Reading about it makes it seem like it might be what we're looking for. We may take a week and go there this spring. Any suggestions or information on neighborhoods that come close to our dream and where to stay would be appreciated.

FYI, we visited South Carolina this past spring. We saw many things to recommend it but couldn't find a town that had the vibe we found in Tennesee. Part of that may be my girlfriend went to Vanderbilt (a long time ago) and was somewhat familiar with the area. We really did like many things about the state, like the laws and the people we met, and are interested in finding out more. We also visited the Las Vegas area last fall. Great weather but not for us.

Georgia is another place we're thinking of visiting this year and we look forward to any suggestions.

BTW, we would like to keep the house price under $300,000 if possible.

As before, thank you for any help you can give us.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:56 AM

3,956 posts, read 2,821,128 times
I'd recommend Texas (even though I'm not even close to retirement age yet). It's the fourth state I've lived in, and, admittedly, it's been the best one. For someplace warmer, this would be the place. You'd have to deal with summer heat, but if you're escaping the cold, you'd welcome the change. They have many retirement communities scattered throughout the state, and more are planned.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM

211 posts, read 478,103 times
I love the rain and would like to find a place that rains alot but dosent flood. I even like the gray dark days, the dark clouds and the wind.
I have been thinking of Seattle but have heard there are no sunny days there.?
Where can I go? I want to write a book and that kind of weather is perfect for my imagination.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:35 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,823,337 times
san diego, yes it's expensive along the immediate coast. there are nice areas in the san Diego area that are relatively cheap. Trust me, I am not rich by any means and I live in san diego.It gets a little rain in winter and spring. May gray and June gloom occur every year and we get a lot of wind from the desert and off the coast.

Best Of Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or