U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:12 PM

1,147 posts, read 3,032,123 times

Advertisements

This is a little outside the box, but Venice CA sounds perfect. Not humid or hot like Austin but even more Bohemian vibe, part of a big city (LA) with tons to do but still a long way from downtown and it has its own mini-small town downtown. It was my perfect place to hang out on weekends when I was living in Covina in my late 20's. Also, an amazing beach that you've seen many times on TV with it's huge boardwalk and all the cyclers, skaters, unicyclers (no joke), break dancers, etc etc etc. I would have lived there myself if I didn't have young children.

Do it now while your still young and childless. A little bit sketchy crime-wise and qual. of elementary schools. Other downside possibly is that your $1200/m will get you a decent apt, esp. since the real estate bust, but it won't get you a house anywhere within 50 miles. You might just accept that though and enjoy the great lifestyle. Some people get real lucky in LA if they have the right skills and translate them to the movie/entertainment industry - say construction guys becoming set-designers or office managers becoming casting directors, etc - and you'll be making more money than you ever thought you could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,591,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae87 View Post
Wow, I am not fast enough for this site! So far, my mind is really working on Austin. I've been to parts of Texas before - and not the 'cool' spots, and found people to be pretty friendly and helpful. In my first hour there, I did see a handwritten sign that said "Property protected by Smith and Wesson... And he don't miss." Heheh.

Pittsburgh, I wouldn't live there. I don't know why, just doesn't feel like my place. No offense anyone

SoCal- I really like it there, but I do find it pretty costly. I lived in Los Angeles (East Hollywood) and had a great apartment but it wasn't cheap. We're hoping to buy in the not too distant future, so we're taking into consideration places where we could potential stick around and buy a house (not a condo). Sadly, we don't have 800 grand for a 1 bedroom :-D

This is awesome, by the way... All sorts of cities on the east coast I never thought of! I only mention tattoos because in some areas, I know it is really hard to find decent jobs with visible tattoos, and other places, you can work ANYWHERE and no one will bat an eyelash
Seriously I hope you gave St Louis a good look. I think that if you were to do some research and maybe even pay a visit you would be surprised by what it has to offer. Tower Grove South would be a great fit for you. Let us know what you decide.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,591,185 times
And if you cant make it to STL. Take a look at the video provided in the link below. Click on the picture and you should be able to watch it. It gives you an idea of what the city looks like as well as the vibe.

Saint Louis Urban Workshop: SuperHD Video Highlights Gateway Cup, Tour of Missouri Cycling Races in St. Louis (http://www.stlurbanworkshop.com/2009/11/superhd-video-highlights-gateway-cup.html - broken link)

Old 11-25-2009, 06:47 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
This is a little outside the box, but Venice CA sounds perfect. Not humid or hot like Austin but even more Bohemian vibe, part of a big city (LA) with tons to do but still a long way from downtown and it has its own mini-small town downtown. It was my perfect place to hang out on weekends when I was living in Covina in my late 20's. Also, an amazing beach that you've seen many times on TV with it's huge boardwalk and all the cyclers, skaters, unicyclers (no joke), break dancers, etc etc etc. I would have lived there myself if I didn't have young children.

Do it now while your still young and childless. A little bit sketchy crime-wise and qual. of elementary schools. Other downside possibly is that your $1200/m will get you a decent apt, esp. since the real estate bust, but it won't get you a house anywhere within 50 miles. You might just accept that though and enjoy the great lifestyle. Some people get real lucky in LA if they have the right skills and translate them to the movie/entertainment industry - say construction guys becoming set-designers or office managers becoming casting directors, etc - and you'll be making more money than you ever thought you could.

Venice definitely has the vibe, but can be expensive.

Have you considered living on a boat?

When my boat was slipped in Marina Del Rey, there were a considerable number of live-aboards. I also know that there are houseboat rentals which rent for considerably less than studio apartments. Some Wilmington marinas also allow liveaboards.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM

989 posts, read 1,930,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I apologize for any off-baseness of my comment. It sounded like you were complaining from the standpoint of a working musician. I don't really understand what people are missing here. If people want their corporate top 40 crap, they have the P-G pavillion. Station Square has started having concerts again. So has Sandcastle. I saw X at the Rex. Mission of Burma, one of the best bands in American music history, played at the Club Cafe of all places. Hip band du jour (or was that two years ago?) The Decemberists played at Heinz Hall (or was it the Byham?) This city is crawling with venues. The "music industry" is dying (thankfully) and I'm not sure that can be pinned on Pittsburgh. The few (hipsterish) twenty-somethings I know love it here and I honestly can't keep up with all they have to do. Having lived (and played music for pay) in Seattle, they don't have any more (or better) venues than we do. They might have more well-known bands, but hype dies hard.
Oh no, we're 100% cool. It's a forum on the net, people are meant to argue and take things the wrong way, haha. I like to say it like this: "Austin is my favorite 'new' city, Pittsburgh is my favorite 'old' city". I really love both to death and don't know if I would consider being anywhere other than those two general areas. I'm so hard on Pittsburgh because it seems to me as if it's been on the cusp for the last 10 years, yet it hasn't been able to break out. It's more of a "potential" type of thing where the city has endless possibilities but not much of an approach. Within the next 10 years, Pittsburgh will either continue to tread water like it's been and keep slowly dipping in population...or it'll emerge as a sort of small scale "it" city with small gains in both population and overall development. You don't know how badly I would like to see Pittsburgh hit stride and have a small boom. It needs something to tilt it in favor of modern development as opposed to being in perpetual "new vs old limbo" as it's been over the past two decades. It stands to be one of the few cities out there that would be able to offer both history and modern living if it would only deliver on its 15 year long "we're a city that's about to emerge" projections. We're light years from struggling rust belt cities like Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo, but we still haven't really crept out of that era and all of its negative aspects just yet...very close, but not quite.

Agreed about the industry falling apart...best thing that could have happened.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:02 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,195,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Oh no, we're 100% cool. It's a forum on the net, people are meant to argue and take things the wrong way, haha. I like to say it like this: "Austin is my favorite 'new' city, Pittsburgh is my favorite 'old' city". I really love both to death and don't know if I would consider being anywhere other than those two general areas. I'm so hard on Pittsburgh because it seems to me as if it's been on the cusp for the last 10 years, yet it hasn't been able to break out. It's more of a "potential" type of thing where the city has endless possibilities but not much of an approach. Within the next 10 years, Pittsburgh will either continue to tread water like it's been and keep slowly dipping in population...or it'll emerge as a sort of small scale "it" city with small gains in both population and overall development. You don't know how badly I would like to see Pittsburgh hit stride and have a small boom. It needs something to tilt it in favor of modern development as opposed to being in perpetual "new vs old limbo" as it's been over the past two decades. It stands to be one of the few cities out there that would be able to offer both history and modern living if it would only deliver on its 15 year long "we're a city that's about to emerge" projections. We're light years from struggling rust belt cities like Cleveland, Detroit, and Buffalo, but we still haven't really crept out of that era and all of its negative aspects just yet...very close, but not quite.

Agreed about the industry falling apart...best thing that could have happened.

Seattle was that way for years, too. All it took was a couple of mediocre to decent bands to explode and suddenly they were an "it" city, which they're still trading on, in my opinion. While I didn't live there during the "cusp" years, I knew plenty of people who did. It was a blue-collar city that kept getting voted "most livable" and didn't have much more than that going for it, besides all the things that got it voted most livable. Suddenly, seemingly overnight, it was on everybody's radar.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 17,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post

I love a lot of the areas around LA, Venice included. The thing that puts me off about SoCal is really the prices, and I've looked at Venice for costs before but haven't found much in our range. I might not be looking in the right spot though-- when I lived for a bit in LA, I got my apartment through someone I knew. Any suggestions of good places to look?

Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Gas and Home/Apartments are what is expensive in LA/Southern California.

Food and beverage prices are the same if not cheaper than many parts of the country (Beer and wine are much cheaper in CA than they are in MO).

Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae87 View Post
Wow, I am not fast enough for this site! So far, my mind is really working on Austin. I've been to parts of Texas before - and not the 'cool' spots, and found people to be pretty friendly and helpful. In my first hour there, I did see a handwritten sign that said "Property protected by Smith and Wesson... And he don't miss." Heheh.
lol! yeah you do have a few gun crazed people in Texas but the tend to stay out of Austin and the other big cities. Texans are very friendly. That's something that everyone says when they come here.

Quote:
This is awesome, by the way... All sorts of cities on the east coast I never thought of! I only mention tattoos because in some areas, I know it is really hard to find decent jobs with visible tattoos, and other places, you can work ANYWHERE and no one will bat an eyelash
Although I don't have tattoos myself, I don't see why it would be a problem in Austin. It's a pretty corky hipster town and not to mention there are tattoo parlors allover downtown and South Congress. I wouldn't think it would be a problem in Venice Beach or Baltimore as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,211,152 times
Live and let live works both ways...just as you would want to be respected for your views, you have to be tolerent of the Smith and Wesson crowd...Keep Austin wierd is the battle cry, but by no way is Austin a little bastion of Hipness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or