U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,547,454 times

Advertisements

Personally I think Spanish is just as beautiful of a language as French. Spanish is by far more useful than French in the US unless you live in parts of Maine, Vermont, or Louisiana. But that really doesn't matter that much because as long as you speak English, you really don't need to know another language to live in the US. I would just pick the language you like better and plan to use in your travels. One thing that I will say about Spanish is that knowing that language made it a lot easier for me to understand people in Italy and Brazil than French would have, since Spanish shares enough similarities to Italian and Portuguese to be able to somewhat understand people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 04:07 PM

4,469 posts, read 8,476,027 times
I would say Spanish, Hispanic people are the largest minority in the US. They even surpassed the amount of African American people in the US.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,686,830 times
no way i'd choose french over spanish. this is america, we're talking about. you can't go anywhere without hearing spanish at least one time a day and 99.999% of the signs are in english and spanish. you can go months/years in some areas without hearing anyone speak french.

spanish is the logical choice.

its inevitable that spanish will become widely spoken (by english only ppl) in the future because its a necessity. anybody struggling to get a job now in the banks can tell you that you can't get entry level positions without being fluent in spanish.

hispanics will be the majority soon as well. who is speaking french in america like that, tho? i mean in comparison to the amount of spanish speakers here?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:47 PM

594 posts, read 955,128 times
OK, French might not be useful in USA... it is the second world language after english taught in world and spoken by more countries than spanish

Old 12-07-2009, 11:22 AM

5,890 posts, read 14,114,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Once you learn one Romance language it's much easier to learn the next one. I originally studied French in High School and then went back to study Spanish later on. I will occasionally confuse words between the two languages, but my knowledge of French helped me in understanding French. Spanish is very useful because, more so than French, it's has a lot of close similarities to Italian and Portuguese--I have Italian friends who say they can understand most spoken Spanish while Portuguese shares a lot of the same vocabulary with Spanish. And if you wish to do any traveling in Latin America or much of Southern Europe, knowledge of Spanish is incredibly advantageous.

But French is a beautiful language as well. But I've found it much more difficult then Spanish, especially some of the more difficult pronunciations.
Exactly! I started out learning Latin. From there it was fairly easy to learn Spanish. I've never studued the other Romance languages, but can usually decipher the main idea in written French, Italian, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or