U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times

Advertisements

I think I saw a Peanuts comic from the sixties that joked about them starting Christmas in September.

Generally speaking Thanksgiving isn't particularly profitable or significant to sales/marketing so it's pretty common for them to start the Christmas stuff immediately after Halloween. Although in some cases they start it even before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 AM

34,705 posts, read 33,718,482 times
I was at a festival on the weekend of October 9. I was in a short sleeved shirt, people were listening to music performed outdoors, having barbecue, ices, ice cream and lemonade. Santa Claus showed up.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,768 times
Christmas...one giant retail machine.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,097,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Crosby View Post
Christmas...one giant retail machine.
That's all it has become. I can't believe that people have lights on their homes lit before November here in Missouri. And displays out weeks before Thanksgiving. What a shame to commercialize it in this manner.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,971,236 times
I noticed the same thing.
A couple days after Halloween I saw hallmark, the mall, and some neighborhood main streets decorating for Christmas. (I even recall seeing Christmas commercials the day after Halloween)

I mean damn, it is the most wonderful time of year, but why drag it out!?

I say the Christmas feel should start right after Thanksgiving so that the affect doesn't seem so generic and awkward.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,394,180 times
YES!

I've heard multiple people commenting how Christmas started really early this year. It seems by November 10th or so the radio stations, stores, etc. were FULL OUT Christmas.

I almost fell over when I was walking through a Lowes store and saw all the Christmas stuff being put up on the shelves.....in MID SEPTEMBER.

It use to be things would flow from Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and then the day after Thanksgiving was the huge "kickoff" to Christmas with the shopping, stores, etc.

Now I think we're so commercial, and Thanksgiving isn't a money-maker - so they've just glossed over the whole thing and went straight to Christmas.

It's allllll about the money.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 6,504,147 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's felt this way. People always say that the Christmas season starts earlier every year, but it seems like Thanksgiving was just completely skipped over this year. IMO, making the season longer just makes everything seem even more shallow.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,114,362 times
It has started earlier this year here too, I started seeing Christmas commercials before Halloween. I even recall seeing a "Summer-Themed" Christmas commercial in July.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,247,389 times
People are not alone in their observations of an early Christmas and the Christmas music to go along with it. Here lies the answer. The sponsors need money (as most of us do) and are trying to earn more of it this year than last. So the sponsors go to their respected radio stations and order them to play Christmas music, hoping people will get in the spirit and go shopping. The radio stations will certainly not say NO to their sponsors. Its all a marketing ploy for the sponsors.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,841,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
People are not alone in their observations of an early Christmas and the Christmas music to go along with it. Here lies the answer. The sponsors need money (as most of us do) and are trying to earn more of it this year than last. So the sponsors go to their respected radio stations and order them to play Christmas music, hoping people will get in the spirit and go shopping. The radio stations will certainly not say NO to their sponsors. Its all a marketing ploy for the sponsors.
Well, as someone who programs radio stations, I can say that is not true. It really works in reverse of what you are describing. Radio stations that program all Christmas (24/7) tend to get better ratings. So advertisers tend to buy these stations for their adverstising. There is no "demand" by advertisers, but there is a reaction to these stations gaining additional listeners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or