U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:46 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,121,777 times

Advertisements

I think this thread and its' initiator prove otherwise.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM

444 posts, read 1,030,049 times
For real. Here the north goes stereotyping again and they tell us in the south not to stereotype. Guess we live in a world of hypocrites.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:28 AM

444 posts, read 1,030,049 times
BTW if you come down here we treat you as you treat us. So if you are mean to us, we are mean back. Same would go if a southerner went north.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,103,313 times
I'm from New England and while I've never lived down south, I've visited there often over the years. Never had a bit of trouble with the people. And when people from the south moved to my hometown in Connecticut when I was in school, I got along quite well with most of them. Midwesterners? That's another matter...

I suspect the OP has found life in the south to be different, has griped about it more than once, and some of the local people are probably taking exception to the opinions.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM

434 posts, read 1,013,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
yes it does and u people know it. people who smile in your face and talk behind your back.
Hmmmm....this scenario can happen virtually anywhere, but usually seems to be associated with the Midwest / Great Lakes, not the South. I'll admit that as a lifelong Midwest / Great Lakes resident that the stereotype can be true (I have been guilty of this LOL).

Quote:
i d rather for u to just be real and say u dont like me, for petes sake and i dont have time to stand in line while you conversate with the customer i am standing behind. move on and do your job.
This, however, happens everywhere; not just the South.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:49 AM

56,308 posts, read 54,748,439 times
Quote:
yes it does and u people know it. people who smile in your face and talk behind your back. i d rather for u to just be real and say u dont like me, for petes sake and i dont have time to stand in line while you conversate with the customer i am standing behind. move on and do your job.
Almost everywhere is a slower pace than New Jersey. They are NOT going to speed up for us, so we have to just get used to their pace and slow down. I always find it frustrating at first, especially when shopping, but after a week I find myself slowing down, too. Then it takes about week back home to get back into the swing of reality.

Even in the Poconos, only an hour and a half away, I was zipping through the mall wondering if somebody put Quaaludes in the water up there, because everyone else was just strolling along as if they had all the time in the world to spend at the mall.

I don't know about the "talk behind the back" part as I haven't spent enough time in the south to get that deep into social customs, but I'm pretty sure such people exist in Jersey, too.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,793,196 times
Quote:
yes it does and u people know it. people who smile in your face and talk behind your back. i d rather for u to just be real and say u dont like me, for petes sake and i dont have time to stand in line while you conversate with the customer i am standing behind. move on and do your job.
I don't like you. Satisfied?

Maybe you're giving them something to talk behind your back about. Try talking nicely to the cashier as a human and the talk behind your back might get nicer.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
You are saying people from the South are mean, yet you get mad when strangers have conversations with each other. Doesn't make much sense to me.
Of course, that wasn't what the OP was saying at all. She was referring to trying to get out of a store expeditiously. Up here, that's what's expected. You go to a store and when it's time to pay, the salesperson is expected to MOVE and get your transaction completed as quickly as possible. Delaying the transaction and dissing the customer by having a conversation with someone else (especially the person BEHIND you on line!) instead of focusing on completing your transaction is considered very rude and unprofessional.

I have experienced this same thing in other parts of the country, and it's just a difference--it's not important apparently to consider the customer's time as a priority, and all the complaining in the world isn't going to change everyone else's ways. The out-of-towner has to adjust to the slowness and lack of professionalism, otherwise you're just beating your head against a wall.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course, that wasn't what the OP was saying at all. She was referring to trying to get out of a store expeditiously. Up here, that's what's expected. You go to a store and when it's time to pay, the salesperson is expected to MOVE and get your transaction completed as quickly as possible. Delaying the transaction and dissing the customer by having a conversation with someone else (especially the person BEHIND you on line!) instead of focusing on completing your transaction is considered very rude and unprofessional.

I have experienced this same thing in other parts of the country, and it's just a difference--it's not important apparently to consider the customer's time as a priority, and all the complaining in the world isn't going to change everyone else's ways. The out-of-towner has to adjust to the slowness and lack of professionalism, otherwise you're just beating your head against a wall.
This is not to say it's OK to be rude to the salesperson, of course.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 AM

374 posts, read 685,685 times
Why don't all these northerners just start a "South Bashing" forum so the rest of us don't have to put up with this trivial, middle school-level name calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or