U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,694,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
yes it does and u people know it. people who smile in your face and talk behind your back. i d rather for u to just be real and say u dont like me, for petes sake and i dont have time to stand in line while you conversate with the customer i am standing behind. move on and do your job.
So technically; me saying your dumb as hell is more nicer than me saying Bless your heart?

This whole "talk behind your back" crap is getting old. That type of behavior isn't only special to the southern region. Everyone does this; even you.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Why don't all these northerners just start a "South Bashing" forum so the rest of us don't have to put up with this trivial, middle school-level name calling.
Although I don't agree with JerseyGal I feel the "bashing" comes from both sides, so I don't know why people want to act all innocent. I'm not a Northerner or a Southerner, where I'm from is in between the North and the South so I consider myself a "Middler", I like to move at a slow pace and take it easy like a Southerner but just like a Northerner I'm not taking no crap lol.

JerseyGal would you rather someone have a pleasant conversation (that doesn't involve you) on a line or have someone curse you out for standing around on a line?

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,713,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Ok....another stereotyping South bashing thread......I haven't seen one of these in about....oh...a minute or two.
Exactly Granny Sue.

I wish you could put these Northern whippersnappers over your knee and teach 'em a lesson!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:19 PM

147 posts, read 289,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Ok....another stereotyping South bashing thread......I haven't seen one of these in about....oh...a minute or two.
Absolutely! I honestly think that, from now on, if I see "The South" in a thread title I will just skip it.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:38 PM

730 posts, read 2,017,741 times
I agree with OP- in part. While it is NOT ok to be rude, it IS respectful to be efficient. No one should assume that a person has all the time in the world to make small talk. I see a difference in the level of small talk in the North vs. here (south).Some of this difference may be accounted for in sheer population difference. In NYC for instance, there is no choice but to be effecient in lines, etc due to the large amount of people waiting. I have even seen them skip customers who were still thinking about what to order and move on and come back to them. While here where the population is low, if some one in a service job simply does their job and moves on to the next person without converstation- they would call the employee rude. My Grandma thinks effecient cashiers who don't ask how her day, grandkids& dog are are "snippy". However- this theory could apply to cities/rural areas as much as it does North/South.

A far as "talking behind the back". I think thats universal.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:49 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I agree with OP- in part. While it is NOT ok to be rude, it IS respectful to be efficient. No one should assume that a person has all the time in the world to make small talk. I see a difference in the level of small talk in the North vs. here (south).Some of this difference may be accounted for in sheer population difference. In NYC for instance, there is no choice but to be effecient in lines, etc due to the large amount of people waiting. I have even seen them skip customers who were still thinking about what to order and move on and come back to them. While here where the population is low, if some one in a service job simply does their job and moves on to the next person without converstation- they would call the employee rude. My Grandma thinks effecient cashiers who don't ask how her day, grandkids& dog are are "snippy". However- this theory could apply to cities/rural areas as much as it does North/South.

A far as "talking behind the back". I think thats universal.
True but I think small conversations are good because it breaks the ice between the employee and the customer. If efficiancy and small talk were applied together, things like social unrest and uneasyness wouldnt be problems.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,825 posts, read 33,229,869 times
I'm not convinced there was a topic in the OP, and open-ended threads tend to meander into trouble. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or