U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:55 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,963,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
However, the metro area population of Omaha is 849,517 while the metro area population of Camden is 5,827,962
That's a horrible excuse.
Philadelphia alone is still worst than all of the Omaha metropolitan area in terms of crime. Camden is a disaster, I don't even think philly natives or any other Philly suburb dare to hang around there, so bringing up the metro area is useless.

I've been to the best part of Camden, the waterfront around the aquarium/university and that's literally the only decent area in the whole city.
We also drove around north Camden to see if it's as bad as they say... I've never seen so many rowdy looking people walking around rundown/half abandoned residential neighborhoods. They were all probably just taking a brisk walk
I even saw a sign say on a local mini store "You break the window, I break your neck. 24/7 surveillance cameras"... lovely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:16 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,746,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Philadelphia alone is still worst than all of the Omaha metropolitan area in terms of crime. Camden is a disaster, I don't even think philly natives or any other Philly suburb dare to hang around there, so bringing up the metro area is useless.

I've been to the best part of Camden, the waterfront around the aquarium/university and that's literally the only decent area in the whole city.
We also drove around north Camden to see if it's as bad as they say... I've never seen so many rowdy looking people walking around rundown/half abandoned residential neighborhoods. They were all probably just taking a brisk walk
I even saw a sign say on a local mini store "You break the window, I break your neck. 24/7 surveillance cameras"... lovely
Who is making excuses. I think the city is doing alot especially on the waterfront and around Rutgers, the building of luxury apartments alone is impressive.There has been a 40% drop in the murder rate. I think that is a big deal. But to compare an urban area like Camden to Omaha is ridiculous, especially from an NJ resident.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20091230_Camden_murders_down_40__in_2009__leading_ N_J__decline.html (broken link)

Old 05-02-2010, 05:32 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,274,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

Your right especially when you consider that Camden has been consistantly either the most dangerous city or near the top of the list for most dangerous cities for years. Occasionally I am forced to venture into Camden because I get involved in chemical clean up projects in Camden and its a war zone pure and simple. Yes they have spent some money on waterfront projects but they may as well as just tossed it into the Delaware River as waterfront attractions are not going to entice people to move and live in the most dangerous city in the entire US and expose their family to the ever present danger that resides there. I don't blame the people that live there but I do blame the corrupt elected individuals that continually fail to do the "right thing" to help the city. Aside from being the most dangerous city the plight of Camden and its downfall is typical or many of New Jerseys citys.....they represent a huge drain on the States financial resources and give nothing back in return other than providing yet another continuing black eye for this state. I'm glad I don't have to live in a hotbed of crime like Camden or anywhere near it.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:32 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,192,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Your right especially when you consider that Camden has been consistantly either the most dangerous city or near the top of the list for most dangerous cities for years. Occasionally I am forced to venture into Camden because I get involved in chemical clean up projects in Camden and its a war zone pure and simple. Yes they have spent some money on waterfront projects but they may as well as just tossed it into the Delaware River as waterfront attractions are not going to entice people to move and live in the most dangerous city in the entire US and expose their family to the ever present danger that resides there. I don't blame the people that live there but I do blame the corrupt elected individuals that continually fail to do the "right thing" to help the city. Aside from being the most dangerous city the plight of Camden and its downfall is typical or many of New Jerseys citys.....they represent a huge drain on the States financial resources and give nothing back in return other than providing yet another continuing black eye for this state. I'm glad I don't have to live in a hotbed of crime like Camden or anywhere near it.
100% agreed.

Those who take a city like Camden and focus on "luxury apartments", are being disingenuous, unhelpful, and are doing a complete and utter disservice to readers of this forum, folks living in the Philadelphia metro, whether in PA or NJ, and really, Camden itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or