U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,564,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Minnesoooota just seems to be so much more progressive than Wisconsin
Seems? so you have no proof? what qualifies as more progressive? is there a progressive meter that I am not aware of. Tell me what things or areas MN is progressing more than Wisconsin and how do you know this.

People have been claiming their city or another city is more progressive than the next guy's city but in fact they have no evidence but are reacting purely on emotion or preconceived notions and having 100 people on CDF tell you that an area is progressive is not evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,127 times
Quote:
Just so they can go play College for Wisconsin
Fine with me - I went to Madison. Go Badgers!

Quote:
This is complete gibberish. How do the Great Lakes not contribute to the amount of shoreline in the state of Wisconsin? I guess that means Florida and Alaska can't count the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans as part of their shorelines either.

Minnesota claiming it has the most shoreline of any state is a very misleading statement, it's like Nebraska claiming to have the most miles of rivers. Because there are conditions under which that statement may be true, but for the most part it's not reflected in reality. The majority of rivers that run through Nebraska are tiny streams, so having the most tiny streams isn't nearly as impressive as being on a major river like the Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, or Wisconsin. Just like if we're going solely off of inland freshwater lakes, then Minnesota probably does have the most. However, here in reality, thousands of Wisconsin residents live right on or near the shores of both Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, while even more enjoy the lakes through activities like camping, boating, fishing, and swimming.
Obviously I am including the shorelines of the Great lakes. What I am saying is that when you include the shorelines of the oceans, great lakes, and interior lakes, Minnesota still has more shoreline than any other state in the country. If you take away interior lakes, then obviously Minnesota doesn't. That's what I am trying to point out.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,167,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Fine with me - I went to Madison. Go Badgers!

Obviously I am including the shorelines of the Great lakes. What I am saying is that when you include the shorelines of the oceans, great lakes, and interior lakes, Minnesota still has more shoreline than any other state in the country. If you take away interior lakes, then obviously Minnesota doesn't. That's what I am trying to point out.

Kind of like my cousin from California who says that I shouldn't say I live on the 'north shore' because it's not an ocean(I live on Lake Superior). Well, 20 ft waves, blue water on the horizon for as far as you can see, I guess it's not a shore, right? Also he says that there are no such thing as 'beaches' unless you're on the ocean.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,147,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Mind supporting your statement with some type of link to substantiate it?

Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Wisconsin has many lakes of varied size; the state contains 11,188 square miles (28,980 km2) of water, more than all but three other states (Alaska, Michigan and Florida)."

Old 12-06-2009, 01:15 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,167,201 times
WIKI references mean ZILCH.ZERO.ZIP. NADA

Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,070,388 times
This site has the actual number - Wikipedia is right.

Land and Water Area of States, 2000 — Infoplease.com

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,885,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Seems? so you have no proof? what qualifies as more progressive? is there a progressive meter that I am not aware of. Tell me what things or areas MN is progressing more than Wisconsin and how do you know this.

People have been claiming their city or another city is more progressive than the next guy's city but in fact they have no evidence but are reacting purely on emotion or preconceived notions and having 100 people on CDF tell you that an area is progressive is not evidence.
Thanks for quickly judging me without giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Alright, so let's just look at, for example, LGBT rights in MN versus WI. In Minnesota, LGBT people are protected under hate crimes legislation, anti-discrimination laws concern both public and private employers towards both sexual orientation and gender identity. Safe schools laws exist in MN to protect LGBT children and same-sex couples may jointly adopt. There also is no constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage, only a statute passed by the legislature, and repealing it has been considered if I'm not mistaken.

Now let's look at WI. They have a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage or anything resembling it (civil unions, domestic partnerships, etc), though they do still have some sort of limited reciprocal benefits arrangements available. Discrimination based on gender identity is perfectly legal, and there is no hate crimes protection for people based on gender identity, and no safe schools laws for gender identity. They do have these protections for sexual orientation, and WI was the first state to enact such legislation. Finally, it is unclear whether gay couples may jointly adopt in the state.

Protecting people based on their gender identity is making progress towards a more tolerant society. Minnesota has got that, and Wisconsin hasn't. All in all, MN seems (in this regard anyway) to be more progressive than WI. It's no CA, OR, or MA, but it's something anyway.

So that's a start.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,147,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Thanks for quickly judging me without giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Alright, so let's just look at, for example, LGBT rights in MN versus WI. In Minnesota, LGBT people are protected under hate crimes legislation, anti-discrimination laws concern both public and private employers towards both sexual orientation and gender identity. Safe schools laws exist in MN to protect LGBT children and same-sex couples may jointly adopt. There also is no constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage, only a statute passed by the legislature, and repealing it has been considered if I'm not mistaken.

Now let's look at WI. They have a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage or anything resembling it (civil unions, domestic partnerships, etc), though they do still have some sort of limited reciprocal benefits arrangements available. Discrimination based on gender identity is perfectly legal, and there is no hate crimes protection for people based on gender identity, and no safe schools laws for gender identity. They do have these protections for sexual orientation, and WI was the first state to enact such legislation. Finally, it is unclear whether gay couples may jointly adopt in the state.

Protecting people based on their gender identity is making progress towards a more tolerant society. Minnesota has got that, and Wisconsin hasn't. All in all, MN seems (in this regard anyway) to be more progressive than WI. It's no CA, OR, or MA, but it's something anyway.

So that's a start.

Recognition of same-sex unions in Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wisconsin grants same-sex domestic partnerships and Minnesota doesn't. At least to me, that proves Wisconsin is the more progressive state.

Transgendered people only make up 0.25-1.0% of the total U.S. population. No offense, but why should we be expected to bend over backwards for such a small segment of our population? A much larger segment of the population is left handed, 7.0-10.0% to be exact, should we pass legislation protecting left handed individuals too?

Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,564,734 times
I guess gay laws is how we measure "progressiveness", how weird is it that we just replaced the word liberal with progressive.

Ah look at us we are so inclusive we tolerate everything we must be the most progressive place in America. Everyone else is just a bible thumping conservative stuck in the 50's.

- The typical San Fransisco latte liberal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5rQM...eature=related

Old 12-10-2009, 03:50 PM

914 posts, read 1,661,367 times
Thanks for the video Milwaukee City. Very fun and very true. As most of us know being a good progressive is more about feeling good about yourself than anything else. The best example of this is the current Copenhagen Climate Conference. 1200 private limos and 140 private jets. They ran out of limos in Denmark and had to import them from Germany and France. Take a guess how many electric cars at the conference? The answer - 5. What a bunch of hypocrites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.