U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2009, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 6,887,325 times
Reputation: 1701

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Recognition of same-sex unions in Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wisconsin grants same-sex domestic partnerships and Minnesota doesn't. At least to me, that proves Wisconsin is the more progressive state.

Transgendered people only make up 0.25-1.0% of the total U.S. population. No offense, but why should we be expected to bend over backwards for such a small segment of our population? A much larger segment of the population is left handed, 7.0-10.0% to be exact, should we pass legislation protecting left handed individuals too?
So tyranny of the majority is fine? It's okay to discriminate against people?


This is why I live in Oregon, not back east. I'll take latte-sippers any day, thank you.

But yes, as a lefty, I think we should protect left-handed people too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,397,936 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Recognition of same-sex unions in Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wisconsin grants same-sex domestic partnerships and Minnesota doesn't. At least to me, that proves Wisconsin is the more progressive state.

Transgendered people only make up 0.25-1.0% of the total U.S. population. No offense, but why should we be expected to bend over backwards for such a small segment of our population? A much larger segment of the population is left handed, 7.0-10.0% to be exact, should we pass legislation protecting left handed individuals too?
Comparing transgendered people with being left or right handed is not even remotely logical. It's actually very insulting to transgendered people to say that. Maybe we should ostracize the people who lized in Grand Junction, Colorado because, hey, they only make up less than .00017% of the population!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,149,388 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Comparing transgendered people with being left or right handed is not even remotely logical. It's actually very insulting to transgendered people to say that. Maybe we should ostracize the people who lized in Grand Junction, Colorado because, hey, they only make up less than .00017% of the population!
How exactly is it insulting to transgendered people to compare them to left handed people? It's not like you can help if you're left handed, just like you can't help if you're transgendered. It's the way you were born.

I used left handed people as an example of a group that only comprises a very small segment of the population. Like I said, there are far more people who are left handed in this world than there are people who are transgendered, yet there are no laws specifically protecting lefties from discrimination.

I'm actually against all hate crime legislation. Why should the LGBT community get special protections? Where's the hate crime statute protecting homeless people, who are victimized at much higher rates than LGBT people? Giving somebody a harsher sentence because race, religion, or sexual orientation was a motivating factor in their crime is essentially punishing them for their thoughts. And I believe people should be punished for their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
 
Location: MN
3,798 posts, read 8,169,979 times
Reputation: 1809
bump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,247 times
Reputation: 13
Wisconsin wins, hands down!!! I will give credit where due, Minnesota has a couple of nice places. Twin Cities, the Northshore and Boundary Waters are all great, but not much more than that. The rest is mostly scuzzy looking towns and flatlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
Reputation: 3232
And Wisconsin doesn't have its share of scuzzy looking towns?

Minnesota also has far more nice small towns, as well as mountains (Iron Range) and rolling hills throughout the state.

Minnesota > Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: MN
3,798 posts, read 8,169,979 times
Reputation: 1809
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.cornell View Post
Wisconsin wins, hands down!!! I will give credit where due, Minnesota has a couple of nice places. Twin Cities, the Northshore and Boundary Waters are all great, but not much more than that. The rest is mostly scuzzy looking towns and flatlands.

scuzzy? Ha, have you ever been to Superior, WI? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Reputation: 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
And Wisconsin doesn't have its share of scuzzy looking towns?

Minnesota also has far more nice small towns, as well as mountains (Iron Range) and rolling hills throughout the state.

Minnesota > Wisconsin
I don't know about any mountains on the Iron Range, but there are a couple of high spots along the North Shore they call mountains. I've climbed a couple of them without realizing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,072,419 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
And Wisconsin doesn't have its share of scuzzy looking towns?

Minnesota also has far more nice small towns, as well as mountains (Iron Range) and rolling hills throughout the state.

Minnesota > Wisconsin
I'm originally from Minnesota, and I completely disagree with your assessment. EVERY state has scuzzy looking towns, including Minnesota. As far as which state has better towns, Wisconsin completely wins.

Outside of the Twin Cities metro, there really isn't a lot to Minnesota. Wisconsin is a smaller state, with a bigger population. There are many more cities of size in Wisconsin than Minnesota, and, overall, Wisconsin is prettier as well. I know these are just our opinions, and I'm not biased, as I'm originally from Minnesota. I'm just stating what I believe to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
 
Location: MN
3,798 posts, read 8,169,979 times
Reputation: 1809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I'm originally from Minnesota, and I completely disagree with your assessment. EVERY state has scuzzy looking towns, including Minnesota. As far as which state has better towns, Wisconsin completely wins.

Outside of the Twin Cities metro, there really isn't a lot to Minnesota. Wisconsin is a smaller state, with a bigger population. There are many more cities of size in Wisconsin than Minnesota, and, overall, Wisconsin is prettier as well. I know these are just our opinions, and I'm not biased, as I'm originally from Minnesota. I'm just stating what I believe to be true.

I know it's your opinion too, but that's a big problem.

The SE Corner of the state - Winona, Red Wing, etc, is beautifu with the bluffs and hills and what not. I don't think I need to mention Brainerd Lakes area and Alexandria Lakes Area, Boundary Waters and the North Shore (Arrowhead).

I do agree that much of Western MN, SW, and NW Minnesota is a little on the boring side in terms of big cities, topography and wildlife.

I really do think WI's geography and topography is better than MN's tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top