U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 AM

21,368 posts, read 21,936,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of the main appeals to me is: I'm bored (happens to you no matter what city you live in, even NYC) and where can I go from here to enjoy a different environment without flying there?

76 miles from Milwaukee to Chicago. It' an easy drive from Madison, too.
Ha! Good one! It seems Wisconsin's best quality is that it's easy to leave from and go to Chicago. Great argument.

Last edited by Ghengis; 05-15-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 AM

3,798 posts, read 8,178,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Scuzzy, but fun. Love those generic bars in Superior, it's worth staying there just to pub crawl at night and not worry about getting a DUI. Being a long-time lover of Tijuana (check my user name!) I may be going too far and calling it the Tijuana of the North.

I say, stay overnight at that old landmark hotel in downtown Superior, pub crawl at night, nurse your hangover in Duluth the next day and do some sightseeing, take in Minnesota Point, return to Superior at night and have a blast!

AHHAHA that's funny you say that.. I always tell people that Duluth is like San Diego and Superior is Tijuana

Old 05-15-2010, 02:06 PM

297 posts, read 442,878 times
I drove from the Iowa border to Minneapolis and the out to Wisconsin and then all the way through Wisconsin past Madison to Illinois so I have a pretty good idea of what both states look like. I probably like Wisconsin more because I think it's more scenic than Minnesota. Wisconsin had a lot of hills that I thought were so pretty but my mom didn't think it was anything special. I've been to Minneapolis and Madison and if I had to pick between the two, I would pick Madison although not by much. They were both really nice cities but I'm not really a city person. I like those scooters that everyone in Madison drives around. Haha.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 PM

17,437 posts, read 21,278,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
AHHAHA that's funny you say that.. I always tell people that Duluth is like San Diego and Superior is Tijuana
If Superior had Tijuana's Zona Norte district with some 60 bars all crammed together, along with Hookers inside the bars and lining the sidewalks, Duluth would be a ghost town on Fri. and Sat. nights.

I love "scuzzy" cities and towns. They're rapidly disappearing from the face of the planet. Some day all cities will resemble Singapore; clean, antiseptic, no gum splatters on the sidewallks, can't tell the difference between human beings and androids.

They cleaned NYC up all right, now it's so antiseptic, if you want a little scuzz you need to hop the train out of Penn Central for Newark, or take the subway to the Bronx. No, they didn't stop with cleaning up Manhattan, they cleaned up Harlem, too.

One day? Tourist bureaus from differents states, will include scuzz cities in their brochures, for the tourists, like myself, who have no interest in visiting antiseptic, seen-one-seen-them-all cities.

I grew up in a city that disinfects the entire city every night, Rochester-MN, where the smell of Pine Sol lingers in the air next day. Small wonder I grew to appreciate scuzz cities around the world. Central America here I come!

Old 05-15-2010, 08:08 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,063,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
I drove from the Iowa border to Minneapolis and the out to Wisconsin and then all the way through Wisconsin past Madison to Illinois so I have a pretty good idea of what both states look like. I probably like Wisconsin more because I think it's more scenic than Minnesota. Wisconsin had a lot of hills that I thought were so pretty but my mom didn't think it was anything special. I've been to Minneapolis and Madison and if I had to pick between the two, I would pick Madison although not by much. They were both really nice cities but I'm not really a city person. I like those scooters that everyone in Madison drives around. Haha.
You missed the most scenic parts of MN! I-35 from the IA border to Mpls is essentially Iowa North, and I 94 from Mpls to WI border is essentially suburban sprawl, once you get past St. Paul.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

297 posts, read 442,878 times
Hahah yeah, it was definitely Iowa North. I watched a movie called "North Country" which took place and parts of it were filmed in Minnesota. During the end credits, she's driving and it was beautiful. Was that part filmed in Minnesota, and where exactly in Minnesota was it?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 PM

141 posts, read 239,344 times
For North Country - The parents house is in Hibbing, but the driving seen at the end is on the road between Eveleth and West Eveleth. The hockey scene is also shot in Eveleth at the Hippodrome. I thought it was a terrible movie but I watched it to see if I recognized any local scenes.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 PM

19 posts, read 26,890 times
Yea drive Highway 61 from La Crescent in the SE corner of the state all the way up the Mississippi, through the cities, up to duluth, and then along the north shore in then try and tell me MN is not scenic.

I love WI and MN - the two best states in the country by far.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
Hahah yeah, it was definitely Iowa North. I watched a movie called "North Country" which took place and parts of it were filmed in Minnesota. During the end credits, she's driving and it was beautiful. Was that part filmed in Minnesota, and where exactly in Minnesota was it?

The Iron Range in Northeastern MN.

Ha, Yeah, I was going to say .... "North to Minneapolis from Iowa" is probably the worst drive in MN, LOL

Old 05-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger24 View Post
Yea drive Highway 61 from La Crescent in the SE corner of the state all the way up the Mississippi, through the cities, up to duluth, and then along the north shore in then try and tell me MN is not scenic.

I love WI and MN - the two best states in the country by far.

Yeah, Highway 61 is awesome. Pure beauty. You don't even feel like you're in MN or WI during that drive. Even Bob Dylan Liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.