U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,046,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yeah, Highway 61 is awesome. Pure beauty. You don't even feel like you're in MN or WI during that drive. Even Bob Dylan Liked it.
Oh God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God said, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run.”
Well, Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, "Out on Highway 61.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,321,803 times
I chose Wisconsin. I prefer Milwaukee to the twin cities. Though i love St. Paul. I also tend to prefer Wisconsin's Hilly landscape and also its defined culture.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,564,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
The Iron Range in Northeastern MN.

Ha, Yeah, I was going to say .... "North to Minneapolis from Iowa" is probably the worst drive in MN, LOL
Yeah, that's like going to California, driving through the Central Valley along Highway 5, and then saying "California is so overrated! Nothing but pancake flat farms. Ohio is so much more scenic than CA."

You drove through the LEAST interesting part of Minnesota by far. You missed the best of Minnesota doing that drive, just like you would miss the best of CA if you drove through the Central Valley.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:27 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,148,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Yeah, that's like going to California, driving through the Central Valley along Highway 5, and then saying "California is so overrated! Nothing but pancake flat farms. Ohio is so much more scenic than CA."

You drove through the LEAST interesting part of Minnesota by far. You missed the best of Minnesota doing that drive, just like you would miss the best of CA if you drove through the Central Valley.
That's the difference between the 2 states, WI doesn't really have any long stretches of uninteresting landscape. Our least attractive landscape is probably located in the SE corner of the state, where Milwaukee is, all the way to the IL boder, but because it's so urbanized it doesn't really matter that it's flat. There are beautiful areas located just north of the city in Ozaukee and Washington counties (Kettle Moraine State Forest) and immediately to the west is Lake Country in Waukesha County. Then obviously we have Lake Michigan to our east.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
I have lived in Minnesota, Michigan and now Wisconsin. I drive throughout the entire region for my territory on a regular basis, to include the U.P. I would say that each state has its pros/cons in comparison, it totally depends on what aspects a person is looking for. Landscape wise and beautiful scenery, Northern Michigan has my vote hands down. Best small cities again Michigan. Best big city Minneapolis as a whole. Milwaukee is fun for the occasional night on the town. Wisconsin claims alot of Lake Michigan for beauty, I guess the Michigan side just knows how to take advantage of it by actually building beautiful cities/towns and communities for locals and tourism, beaches and entertainment better than Wisconsin. Minnesota and Michigan have way more attractive women than Wisconsin (guess its all the cheese and beer, which they're proud of). If you want to escape to rustic areas the U.P. of MI and the Iron range Northern MN are beaufiful. Overall, I prefer Minneapolis for the big city in the midwest. Yet the Michigan side of lake Michigan has some of my favorite small town/communities. I like some of the lakes in Waukesha county, WI the best for Wisconsin.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:40 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,314,520 times
Awesome analysis! I'd like to add that Wisconsin does small-mid sized towns very well, and their approach to beer and grilling is favorable by me!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,564,992 times
I also love the desolate feeling of Western Minnesota. It's totally different than Wisconsin or Michigan -- pure Great Plains. Stunningly beautiful.

http:///Users/user/Desktop/2011-02-17 17.00.53.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
MN hands down EASY!

Old 03-11-2011, 10:39 AM

4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
I like Minneapolis better than Milwaukee, but I like Madison much, much better than St. Paul. I like Wisconsin's geography a little better than Minnesota's (but c'mon...this is the Midwest; no state is by any means mountainous). I also like that you can get to Chicago and St. Louis for day trips a lot more quickly from Wisconsin than from Minnesota. I vote for Wisconsin.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:53 AM

10 posts, read 17,452 times
I would have to pick Wisconsin and here's why: I have lived in south-central Wisconsin since 1999 and travel to Minnesota at least 2-3 times every year to see family. Both states have their pros/cons but Wisconsin has far more pros than Minnesota.

1.) Wisconsin has far more spread-out medium sized cities than Minnesota: Madison, Green Bay, Appleton, Wausau, La Crosse, the Dells. Minnesota just has Rochester and Duluth; and Duluth is a whopping 3-hour drive north of the Cities

2.) There is simply more to do in Wisconsin and it's this reason why we're one of the most heavily-visited states in the country each year: Door County, miles of beaches on Lake Michigan, Milwaukee: the City of Festivals and home to the world's largest music festival - Summerfest, 3 professional sporting franchises and one of the best college football and basketball teams in the country - the Badgers, THE WISCONSIN DELLS - The Waterpark Capital of the World, Up North Wisconsin - land of over 15,000 lakes, The House on the Rock, dozens of breweries and micro-breweries, and MUCH much more!

3.) Both states have their unique look, but Wisconsin is more beautiful - we have more rolling hills, Lake Michigan, and a beautiful north woods (although Minnesota's doesn't get run over by Illinois bastards each year)

4.) Minneapolis is too far away from everything. Milwaukee is only an hour drive to Chicago. Also, don't underestimate Milwaukee. I personally like Minneapolis better but Milwaukee has a few things Minneapolis doesn't: a world-renowned art museum, a beautiful, easily accessible lake front with recreational beaches, more historical charm, and more micro-breweries!

5.) No offense Minnesota, but Wisconsin just kicks your butt in football - America's favorite sport. The Packers have the most championships of any team, the largest fan-base but yet they're in the smallest city, and the team doesn't have a single owner... they're owned by the fans. Moreover, when is the last time the Gophers beat the Badgers?

6.) Both states are quite "hick", but Wisconsin is the lesser of the two.

Here are a few reasons why Minnesota has the edge on Wisconsin: better-looking women, a beautiful city (Minneapolis, which, by the way, has beautiful suburbs - Eden Prairie, Wayzata, Apple Valley, etc.), an awesome NHL team, and a much more pristine, tamer, north woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.