U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,327,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
This is one of those rare state vs. state discussions in which I actually find the choice pretty difficult.

Both would be among my favorite Midwestern states, after Michigan and South Dakota.

Minnesota has Lake Calhoun and as the "Land of 10,000 Lakes", it has some of the most beautiful scenery in the Midwest. Wisconsin also has great natural beauty, supposedly having even more lakes than Minnesota. I would tend to prefer Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the Twin Cities area in general over Milwaukee. Wisconsin has fantastic cheese, milk, and general dairy (blue moon ice cream!) as well as the Wisconsin Dells. But Minnesota has the Vikings, the Mall of America, and a large Swedish/Scandinavian population. The winters in both are horrible.

Hmm...Minnesota, but both contribute a great deal.
I'm surprised by your choice of Lake Calhoun as an example. Beautiful, yes (as are the rest of the lakes in the Grand Rounds system), but remarkable? I'd leave that description to Lake Superior and its surroundings and the bluffs of SE MN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
May I add something to the discussion:

Why do birds fly upside down over Wisconsin? Cause there's nothing there worth sh**ing on.

J/K Born and raised in Minnesota but I actually spent my four years in college at Madison. Great university (Go Badgers!) But still, I'd rather live in Minnesota over Wisconsin any chance I could get.

They only thing Wisky has over us are two things: more hilly terrain (Minnesota is as flat as a pancake throught 90% of it) and a better flagship university.

And no, Wisconsin does not have more lakes. The reason they claim they do is becasue the Wisconsin DNR classifies lakes as a body of water covering over 5 acres while in MN a lake has to be atleast 10 acres. If MN classifed lakes like Wisconsin, we would have over 30,000. As it is, the combined surface area of all lakes in WI (not counting Superior and Michigan) is less than just the top 12 largest lakes in MN combined.
Minnesota is much larger geographically than Wisconsin, but Wisconsin has more people. Outside of the Twin Cities metro, there really aren't any other cities of size. Wisconsin has bigger cities, and the whole eastern half of the state has Lake Michigan. Does Minnesota have anything like Door County (I really don't know)? Also, Wisconsin does have the Chicago advantage. I'm originally from Minnesota, but I choose Wisconsin.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,983,710 times
Lake Calhoun is notable however in that there are practically no similar lakes smack dab in the center of a major city anywhere else in the US.

The two best lakes in the metor area I'd say are Minnetonka and White Bear - those two are unbelievable and if there are any rich people you here of living in the Twin Cities suburbs, chances are they are on one of those two lakes.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Minnesota is much larger geographically than Wisconsin, but Wisconsin has more people. Outside of the Twin Cities metro, there really aren't any other cities of size. Wisconsin has bigger cities, and the whole eastern half of the state has Lake Michigan. Does Minnesota have anything like Door County (I really don't know)? Also, Wisconsin does have the Chicago advantage. I'm originally from Minnesota, but I choose Wisconsin.
The North Shore of Lake Superior is just a scenic and cool as Door County, although much less know and less touristy.

http://atv.mnoutside.com/scripts/moz/north.jpg (broken link)

As for cities of size, Duluth had around a pop of 120,000 a half century ago although this is closer to 75,000 nowadays.

I will hand it to you that Wisconsin has more and better small cites, though.

Minneapolis>Milwaukee
St. Paul>Madison
Duluth>Green Bay

however:

La Crosse, Oshkosh, Appelton, Eau Claire, Wassau, and Sheboygan are greater than anything you'll find similarly in MN.

I wouldn't go around bragging about Janesville, Beloit, Superior, or Racine though. Rochester, Winona, St. Cloud, and Mankato are better than all those although not as good as any of the Wisconsin small cities that I listed above.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
The North Shore of Lake Superior is just a scenic and cool as Door County, although much less know and less touristy. As for cities of size, Duluth had around a pop of 120,000 a half century ago although this is closer to 75,000 nowadays. I will hand it to you that Wisconsin has more and better small cites, though.

Minneapolis>Milwaukee
St. Paul>Madison
Duluth>Green Bay

however:

La Crosse, Oshkosh, Appelton, Eau Claire, Wassau, and Sheboygan are greater than anything you'll find similarly in MN.

I wouldn't go around bragging about Janesville, Beloit, Superior, or Racine though. Rochester, Winona, St. Cloud, and Mankato are better than all those although not as good as any of the Wisconsin small cities that I listed above.
That may be more like Wisconsin's Bayfield area.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The North Shore of Lake Superior is just a scenic and cool as Door County, although much less know and less touristy.

As for cities of size, Duluth had around a pop of 120,000 a half century ago although this is closer to 75,000 nowadays.

I will hand it to you that Wisconsin has more and better small cites, though.

Minneapolis>Milwaukee
St. Paul>Madison
Duluth>Green Bay

however:

Most people will agree with you that Minneapolis is better than Milwaukee, but I prefer Milwaukee. It's much larger and it has Lake Michigan. Nothing in Minneapolis compares to Milwaukee's East Side.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
That may be more like Wisconsin's Bayfield area.
I'd say it is between both. It is more touristy than the Bayfield area with more resorts and stuff, although less so than Door County. The North Shore mainly attracts people from the Twin Cities, while Door County gets people from Milwaukee, Chicago, and around the country.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,244,963 times
Both states are quite alike in climate, outdoor ammenities and culture. But if I had to pick, I would choose Wisconsin. I have relatives there, the schools are really good, its progressive, there's more hills, and parts of Wisconsin are close to Chicago.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,190,393 times
Wisconsin's terrain does make this match a bit closer. Really they are two pretty solid states, among the best in their region, and it's difficult to choose. I think Wisconsin has a more solid tourism base.

Beyond the eternal Vikings/Packers struggle, are Minnesota and Wisconsin rivals?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,286,994 times
So I gave you all a challenge then

I'd love to visit the midwest especially MN and WI, looks very like here especially the architecture - very beautiful indeed

Though is WI bitter cold, colder than Canada in winter with long winters?

P.S Buchanan Street is in Glasgow hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.