U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 PM

606 posts, read 1,158,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Where did you find that? I'm not saying it's not possible, I just would like to read it. Also, doesn't some of Minnesota's water sq mileage include Lake Superior? I guess it makes sense to include Lake Michigan - after all, it is the whole eastern border - pretty cool!
I did the math. The great lakes states' borders don't end at the shoreline. Wisconsin has nearly half of Lake Michigan considered part of the state, and a large portion of Lake Superior.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 PM

159 posts, read 208,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Wisconsin does have more lakes

False! I must defend my state!

Wisconsin professes to have 15,081 lakes.

(http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/fhp/lakes/Lakes1a.pdf (broken link))
However, 9,037 of these lakes are unnamed and average only roughly four acres in size, leaving only 6044 that are large enough to be named.

In contrast, Minnesota has 11,842 named lakes larger than ten acres.

(Lakes, rivers & wetlands: Minnesota Facts & Figures: Minnesota DNR)
When including unnamed lakes over ten acres the number is 15,291. Various estimates propose that if Minnesota were to lower its cut-off threshold to five acres the number could approach or exceed 20,000 lakes.

In addition, when considering the surface area of each of the states five largest lakes (great lakes excluded), Wisconsin's largest cover 204,105 acres whereas Minnesota's top five total 896,387. Furthermore, the surface area of Minnesota's largest eight lakes is greater than all 15,081 lakes in Wisconsin. Minnesota also possesses more shoreline than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Where did you find that? I'm not saying it's not possible, I just would like to read it. Also, doesn't some of Minnesota's water sq mileage include Lake Superior? I guess it makes sense to include Lake Michigan - after all, it is the whole eastern border - pretty cool!
Yes but if you subtract and do the same for wisconsin with superior and michigan, then minnesota has more water sq mileage.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:12 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noliving View Post
Yes but if you subtract and do the same for wisconsin with superior and michigan, then minnesota has more water sq mileage.
You can't beat the Lake Michigan shoreline and access. Lake Michigan should be counted, as it's there for all to enjoy. If you don't believe it should be counted, it doesn't negate the fact that it comprises the whole eastern border.

Last edited by NowInWI; 11-27-2009 at 07:42 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
You can't beat the Lake Michigan shoreline and access. Lake Michigan should be counted, as it's there for all to enjoy. If you don't believe it should be counted, it doesn't negate the fact that it comprises the whole eastern border.
No not really because the lake isn't inside of wisconsin, it borders it just like how lake superior isn't in minnesota it borders it. It doesn't make sense to claim that more of wisconsin is covered by water then minnesota because of the fact that it borders a great lake or two great lakes. That is why we didn't include lake superior when it came to minnesota total area covered by water.

Who cares about its shoreline or access, the argument about which state has more areas covered by water is about lakes that actually are entirely in a state not bordering it, not about how cool it's shoreline looks or access to it. Who cares if its the whole eastern border, lake michigan is not entirely inside of wisconsin.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noliving View Post
No not really because the lake isn't inside of wisconsin, it borders it just like how lake superior isn't in minnesota it borders it. It doesn't make sense to claim that more of wisconsin is covered by water then minnesota because of the fact that it borders a great lake or two great lakes. That is why we didn't include lake superior when it came to minnesota total area covered by water.

Who cares about its shoreline or access, the argument about which state has more areas covered by water is about lakes that actually are entirely in a state not bordering it, not about how cool it's shoreline looks or access to it. Who cares if its the whole eastern border, lake michigan is not entirely inside of wisconsin.
I guess those of us who live here and have almost immediate access to the lake care. I never said it belonged to Wisconsin, but it does form the entire eastern border, therefore, many can utilize and enjoy it. This is my opinion - I like that it's here. It's better to have it to enjoy than not to have it. I don't know who included what in the total water square mileage measurements for either state, and you most likely aren't the definitive source either. It doesn't really matter when all is said and done. I choose Wisconsin, and it's partly because of Lake Michigan, and I do like the proximity to Chicago.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,984,315 times
The point is, even with the entire eastern borde for Wisconsin being Lake Michigan, Minnesota still has far more total shoreline. Minnesota wins!

And if proximity to Chicago was so important, why not just move to Illinois?

Minnesota has better large cities.
Wisconsin has better small cities.
Minnesota has better small towns.

I'll take some Northern Minnesota towns like Thief River Falls, Warroad, Roseau, Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Virginia, Hibbing, and Two Harbours over any small town in the rest of the country.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:09 PM

787 posts, read 1,468,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiifanboy94 View Post
MN rocks over Wisconsin. More variety in landscape and home to Tim Pawlenty!

*shudders*

Old 11-27-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
The point is, even with the entire eastern borde for Wisconsin being Lake Michigan, Minnesota still has far more total shoreline. Minnesota wins!

And if proximity to Chicago was so important, why not just move to Illinois?

Minnesota has better large cities.
Wisconsin has better small cities.
Minnesota has better small towns.

I'll take some Northern Minnesota towns like Thief River Falls, Warroad, Roseau, Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Virginia, Hibbing, and Two Harbours over any small town in the rest of the country.
You forgot to state that this is your opinion. What does Minnesota win?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiifanboy94 View Post
MN cities are better. Duluth>Superior, Twin Cities>Milwaukee. I have noticed that Wisconsin's cities tend to be junkier and the people are not as friendly.

I don't know about Superior or Duluth - I don't care for either. Wisconsin has more cities of size than Minnesota does. Junky and not as friendly?? Typical Minnesota resident bashing Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.