U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 02:21 PM

154 posts, read 135,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I guess those of us who live here and have almost immediate access to the lake care. I never said it belonged to Wisconsin, but it does form the entire eastern border, therefore, many can utilize and enjoy it. This is my opinion - I like that it's here. It's better to have it to enjoy than not to have it. I don't know who included what in the total water square mileage measurements for either state, and you most likely aren't the definitive source either. It doesn't really matter when all is said and done. I choose Wisconsin, and it's partly because of Lake Michigan, and I do like the proximity to Chicago.
That is fine if you care if you have immediate access to the lake and that its closer to chicago and etc, but that has nothing to do with whether or not one state has more area covered by water or which state has more lakes. You seem to be going way off topic when dealing with which state has more lakes and more surface area covered by water. You are right I'm not the definitive source that is why I posted two links in a previous post, one from each state's government website which deals with how many lakes named and unnamed, how much surface area etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,505,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
The point is, even with the entire eastern borde for Wisconsin being Lake Michigan, Minnesota still has far more total shoreline. Minnesota wins!

And if proximity to Chicago was so important, why not just move to Illinois?

Minnesota has better large cities.
Wisconsin has better small cities.
Minnesota has better small towns.

I'll take some Northern Minnesota towns like Thief River Falls, Warroad, Roseau, Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Virginia, Hibbing, and Two Harbours over any small town in the rest of the country.
How can Minnesota have 'better 'large cities' than Wisconsin if each has only one 'large' city? I'm just sayin........

Old 11-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Status: "no sound ever comes from the gates of Eden" (set 20 days ago)

9,899 posts, read 7,518,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiifanboy94 View Post
MN cities are better. Duluth>Superior, Twin Cities>Milwaukee. I have noticed that Wisconsin's cities tend to be junkier and the people are not as friendly.
Yeah! And Wisconsin has been proven to be ickier and the people I can see on the other side of the river look really small.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:08 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,882,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Yeah! And Wisconsin has been proven to be ickier and the people I can see on the other side of the river look really small.
Nice!!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,242,764 times
Quote:
What does Minnesota win?
Having more shoreline.

Quote:
Home to Tim Pawlenty
T-Paw 2012!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:23 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,175,295 times
What's readily apparent is that these two states have more which makes them similar than dissimilar. The culture of Wisconsin is not much, if any, different from Minnesota. Both are cold, northern states with German/Scandinavian, Catholic/Lutheran backgrounds, large amounts of agricultural land,one major urban area, similar voting habits and a goodly number of lakes and rivers.

The odds are great that if you enjoy one of them , you'll probably like the other, too.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 AM

21 posts, read 1,190 times
A roommate back in college was from Wisconsin. Great guy and holy cow could the guy put away the beer!
One of his sayings was something like "Why is it always so windy in Wisconsin?"

Because Minnesota s uc ks and Illinois blows.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:47 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,242,764 times
^LMAO!!!

Heard this one numerous times at Madison.

In my opinion, these are the two best states in the country and I wouln't live anywhere else.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM

6,774 posts, read 11,466,847 times
Here is an easy fight, Minnesota/Wisconsin vs IL aka Flatland..lol.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:55 PM

2,787 posts, read 2,459,165 times
Wisconsin all the way...Madison is one of my all time favorite cities... Milwaukee has major league sports and is large enough to draw big name concerts, and the fact that Wisc. is close to Chicago makes it an easy pick for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.