U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best?
Wisconsin 36 46.15%
Minnesota 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,176,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Obviously I voted for Wisconsin. I chose Wisconsin because it has a more diverse landscape and more medium-small sized metros scattered throughout the state. All of Minnesota seems to revolve around the Twin Cities metro, as they not only serve as the major metro for all of Minnesota, but also for the Dakotas and western Wisconsin.

Milwaukee, OTOH, only functions as the major city for the Southeastern Wisconsin region, not the entire state of Wisconsin. Most people outside of the Greater Milwaukee area, and even some within it (I'm looking at you Waukesha County), absolutely hate Milwaukee or at the very least don't go out of their way to come here. People in places like Rhinelander and Wausau rarely, if ever, venture down here for ball games, concerts, or other cultural activities. I think the people "Up North" probably say to themselves that if they're going to drive 2-3 hours to get to Milwaukee, they might as well drive an extra hour and just go to Chicago instead. If you want to get technical, Milwaukee is actually Wisconsin's 3rd largest metropolitan area, with Chicago and the Twin Cities being larger and also overlapping with the state of Wisconsin. Much the same way NYC and Philly are New Jersey's largest metropolitan areas.

In addition to the large metros of Milwaukee and Madison, Wisconsin is dotted with numerous medium-small metros like Appleton-Fox Valley, Oshkosh, Fond Du Lac, Green Bay, Manitowoc-Two Rivers, Sheboygan, West Bend, Port Washington, Janesville-Beloit, LaCrosse, Eau Claire-Chippewa Falls, Wausau, and Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids. It gives the state a more established feeling than much of Minnesota beyond the Twin Cities.

I agree, that's what I always thought was weird about the Two States...

MKE is bigger than MPLS...But the MPLS metro is bigger than any Metro in WI--not counting Chicago/TC

But.. WI has bigger-smaller cities than MN...

MN is pretty much the Twin Cities, Rochester, Duluth, Mankato, St. Cloud, Brainerd Lakes and Fargo-Moorhead.

WI has Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay, all of which are bigger metros than anything in MN outside the TC>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,061,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Wrong, look at the list.

Minneapolis - 387,000

St. Paul- 287,000 Not a suburb, it's own city with it's own history.
Rochester-105,000 2 hours way and not a suburb.
Bloomington-86,000 Biggest Suburb
Duluth-86,000 Not a suburb
Brooklyn Park-71,000
Plymouth- 70,000
Eagan-66,000
St. Cloud-65,000 Not a suburb, exurb at best.
Coon Rapids-63,000

Milwaukee - 605,000

Milwaukee's largest suburbs that are actually suburbs.
Kenosha 97,000 - exurb
Racine 82,000
West Allis 65,000
Waukesha 70,000
Wauwatosa 50,000

If the Twin Cities claim St.Cloud(65K) as a suburb then Milwaukee should be able to claim Kenosha(97K) as a suburb. Point being the Twin Cities have big suburbs but so does Milwaukee and the difference between the Twin Cities largest suburbs and Milwaukee largest suburbs is splitting hairs.
The Twin Cities just have a lot more suburbs not a lot more big suburbs.
Huh? I think you missed MY point: The OP's list of MN's biggest "cities" contains many suburbs. The OP's list of WI's biggest cities contains no suburbs. I didn't point this out to irritate anyone, it is just an observation.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 AM

152 posts, read 276,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
LOL.

Duluth is extremely hilly and Superior is very "run down" and the lesser of the two...
Yeah, the two cities have a huge difference in topography; Duluth is hilly and rocky, Superior is built in a swamp and quite flat.

But anyways I like MN better because we don't have all the pokey Joe drivers and horizontal stoplights. And WI cops are notorious for handing out tickets.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,585,065 times
I think it is too close to call; at least IMHO.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,985,773 times
Minnesota has better high school hockey. By far...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,985,773 times
Quote:
Where did you come up with this figure?

Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Wisconsin has many lakes of varied size; the state contains 11,188 square miles (28,980 km2) of water, more than all but three other states (Alaska, Michigan and Florida)."

If Alaska, Michigan, and Florida each has more shoreline than Wisconsin, then how can Minnesota possibly have more shoreline than California, Florida, and Hawaii combined?
Because the majority of the water in Wisconsin, as we've established, is in the middle of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior and thus does not contribute to the shoreline. Same with Michigan. Minnesota, however, has much more small, medium, and large size lakes entirely within the state that contribute to the shoreline. If you were going by coastline (meaning only on large bodies of water like the great lakes, oceans, seas, etc), then yes Wisconsin would have more. But just straight-up coastline, MN has the most.

Quote:
What about Superior, the city directly across the port from Duluth?
ummm... obviously you have never been to Superior...

Quote:
After all, you guys twice elected Pawlenty.
You better believe it! T-Paw for President in 2012. Now that's change I can believe in!

Old 12-03-2009, 05:39 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,586,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Minnesota has better high school hockey. By far...
Just so they can go play College for Wisconsin

Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,891,813 times
Minnesoooota just seems to be so much more progressive than Wisconsin (though Madison intrigues me). And it's wilder.

Lakes shmakes and metro size shmetro shmize. I give the nod to MN.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 6,063 times
I'd go with Wisconsin. Great small cities and towns and even some really nice bigger ones like Madison (very underrated), Green Bay (football mecca!) and also the nice sized metro of Milwaukee (great food, culture, beer, festivals). I love Minnie/St Paul alot and have been there numerous times. I think Minneapolis looks nicer than many cities in America. But outside of that, Minnesota seems isolated and boring. Also in SE Wisconsin you are in good proximity to "Wisconsin's largest strip mall" to the south (Chicago!)

Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,153,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Because the majority of the water in Wisconsin, as we've established, is in the middle of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior and thus does not contribute to the shoreline. Same with Michigan. Minnesota, however, has much more small, medium, and large size lakes entirely within the state that contribute to the shoreline. If you were going by coastline (meaning only on large bodies of water like the great lakes, oceans, seas, etc), then yes Wisconsin would have more. But just straight-up coastline, MN has the most.
This is complete gibberish. How do the Great Lakes not contribute to the amount of shoreline in the state of Wisconsin? I guess that means Florida and Alaska can't count the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans as part of their shorelines either.

Minnesota claiming it has the most shoreline of any state is a very misleading statement, it's like Nebraska claiming to have the most miles of rivers. Because there are conditions under which that statement may be true, but for the most part it's not reflected in reality. The majority of rivers that run through Nebraska are tiny streams, so having the most tiny streams isn't nearly as impressive as being on a major river like the Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, or Wisconsin. Just like if we're going solely off of inland freshwater lakes, then Minnesota probably does have the most. However, here in reality, thousands of Wisconsin residents live right on or near the shores of both Lake Michigan and Lake Superior, while even more enjoy the lakes through activities like camping, boating, fishing, and swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.