U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,791,732 times

Advertisements

Most Americans will be very friendly towards modern-day British people. I, a mostly Irish descended American, never knew any anti-British sentiment except from the old geezers who believed the IRA were a good bunch of chaps. Nobody really took them seriously when they spoke like that, though quite a few in the old folks' home had a disdain for fighting alongside the British back in WWII. That mentality died/is dying with their generation. I still think the British Empire got what it deserved and was one of the most horrific establishments the world had ever seen, but that is old history. The modern, cool, hip Britain of today is at best seen as a strong ally and cousin, and at worst just a bunch of funky ultra "liberals".

Me personally, don't find British any different from other peoples and take everyone as individuals. I do resent some folks from Britain still holding the Irish stereotypes that they're always drunk / are stupid / are crappy footballers, but most British people I've met aren't like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 PM

11,556 posts, read 13,618,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
We like your accents

Personally, I like British slang and sayings. You all sound so much more civilized when you curse.
Agreed.

Love the Brits. I have a British friend in an online game and she speaks English but I can never understad her. lol She wasn't online for a while because she needed to buy a new lead for her laptop. I was like "wtf is a lead?". Oh it's a power cord. Crazy Brits... speaking English and I can't understand 'em. lol
It's a hood! Not a bonnet! lol

Love Brits in Ohio.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:02 PM

112 posts, read 126,413 times
This made me laugh............

Old 09-28-2013, 12:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,685,459 times
Certainly yes I like the Brits. We Americans and Brits are tied together in history and language in a way no one else is except for the Canadians. Got no problems with ya.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:47 PM

649 posts, read 981,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Certainly yes I like the Brits. We Americans and Brits are tied together in history and language in a way no one else is except for the Canadians. Got no problems with ya.
Actually, why is this the case if it's even true? The biggest ancestry in the US is German. Not Brit.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM

But we speak English, not German. There's no real proof that there are more Germans than Brits in the US. I know the Midwest is more German than British, but what about the South, areas of the Rockies, New England, etc.? Brits also comprise the Scots and Welch and Scots-Irish and there are a great deal of those people here. Not to lessen the German population of the US (I'm more than just a little German myself), but British Isles may be more in number over here than German.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
But we speak English, not German. There's no real proof that there are more Germans than Brits in the US. I know the Midwest is more German than British, but what about the South, areas of the Rockies, New England, etc.? Brits also comprise the Scots and Welch and Scots-Irish and there are a great deal of those people here. Not to lessen the German population of the US (I'm more than just a little German myself), but British Isles may be more in number over here than German.
Official statistics published by the government show that German is the largest ancestry nationally.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Interesting note about language. Americans today speak English despite being a melting pot of citizens of probably the biggest array of ancestries in the world because of who it was that colonized the US.

Actually it's not about the language at all. The affinity you feel is racial.

African Americans speak English. So do Asian Americans. Some speak and write English better than White Americans like this dude http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Chin and this dude http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell and this woman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxine_Hong_Kingston countless many more..

Do African Americans and Asian Americans feel any affinity or "special bond" to the Brits? They do not. Something for you to ponder.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-28-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 01:36 PM

As I said, when you add all the people from the British Isles, you get more Americans of British decent than anybody else including German.

You are making this a racial thing by saying the AA's and Asian Americans don't feel a kinship to the British. Why should they? They are not British nor do they have any common history except maybe imperialist colonies. But the whites do and for now comprise a majority of Americans albeit a shrinking one.

I'm not going to go flaming on about how we are so diverse over here (as they are in Britain as well) saying things like we don't relate because there is no British connection to America.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
As I said, when you add all the people from the British Isles, you get more Americans of British decent than anybody else including German.

You are making this a racial thing by saying the AA's and Asian Americans don't feel a kinship to the British. Why should they? They are not British nor do they have any common history except maybe imperialist colonies. But the whites do and for now comprise a majority of Americans albeit a shrinking one.

I'm not going to go flaming on about how we are so diverse over here (as they are in Britain as well) saying things like we don't relate because there is no British connection to America.
Like those Americans I named, you are not British too. I guess sometimes you forget.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-28-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.