U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
Reputation: 1869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
You are not British too. I guess sometimes you forget.
Run that by me again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM
 
649 posts, read 982,347 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
As I said, when you add all the people from the British Isles, you get more Americans of British decent than anybody else including German.

You are making this a racial thing by saying the AA's and Asian Americans don't feel a kinship to the British. Why should they? They are not British nor do they have any common history except maybe imperialist colonies. But the whites do and for now comprise a majority of Americans albeit a shrinking one.

I'm not going to go flaming on about how we are so diverse over here (as they are in Britain as well) saying things like we don't relate because there is no British connection to America.
I'm not making it what it isn't. I proved that it's a racial thing for people like you in a crystal clear moment in perfect clarity bummer

My analogy is brilliant because it's so easy to understand in its starkness and obviousness. We have fellow Americans who speak English at a much higher level than average nationally. Do they feel anything about the Brits? Why would you crap on earlier about "but we Americans speak English not German" blah blah blah...You got my point! I am glad. Why don't you just admit you love your race and get it over with instead of dressing it up in fancy cloaks of "language"?

You also sound very embittered and fearful about the shrinkage of your race in America, something I'm not surprised about.

Do all whites feel kinship to the Brits?! Lol speak for yourself.

Actually your statement is hilarious. Now I'm editing cos I'm that curious and I had to come back and ASK. WHY would Whites be assumed to feel anything for the Brits?

You are so funny!!!

WHY the hell would an Irish guy in Dublin or a German in Munich feel anything for the Brits? Or a Czech person in Prague or a Czech-American in Missouri? Say you love your race and get it over with

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-28-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 01:53 PM
 
649 posts, read 982,347 times
Reputation: 372
You are wrong.
Race and ethnicity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Census shows Americans of British ancestry (English, Scottsh, and I'll be generous and throw in Scot-Irish for you) add up to 8.7 + 1.7 + 1.5.. Is 11.9 per cent.

German is the largest ancestry. Maybe you want to fact check before assuming too much about uhhh anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
Reputation: 1869
British is not a race. So I do like the British, so what? Does that make me evil? And worse than that, I'm from the South. Oooh, double evil.

The OPs original post was about whether or not Americans liked the British? I know many don't,especially the Irish. But so many do. I don't hear any real negativity. We have some political differences and always will- the gun thing for example.

I think you fail to see that the common language is a big factor between the British and Americans. England is the "mother" country so to speak. We can communicate with them better than anyone else except the Canadians (and Australians and New Zealanders, etc.) Communication means a lot in this day and time in the world.

If you don't like the British, that's your right as an American. So be it. Just let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:24 PM
 
649 posts, read 982,347 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
British is not a race. So I do like the British, so what? Does that make me evil? And worse than that, I'm from the South. Oooh, double evil.

The OPs original post was about whether or not Americans liked the British? I know many don't,especially the Irish. But so many do. I don't hear any real negativity. We have some political differences and always will- the gun thing for example.

I think you fail to see that the common language is a big factor between the British and Americans. England is the "mother" country so to speak. We can communicate with them better than anyone else except the Canadians (and Australians and New Zealanders, etc.) Communication means a lot in this day and time in the world.

If you don't like the British, that's your right as an American. So be it. Just let it go.
I don't dislike them. In fact, I love (to visit) London (as a tourist) though that's the only part of the UK I have been.

I chimed in when you said there is no greater country with a kinship to the US than the Brits. I did know quite vividly that German is the biggest ancestry. There is a shared history with the Brits insofar as colonization is involved.

Actually I know many Americans who feel a distance from the Brits more so than to any other country, both English and non English speaking. There is a reason America chose to separate from its colonial master, and willingly sacrificed tens of thousands of lives for the cause.

Immigrants first fled the "old country" because of social factors that infringed on their rights to happiness based on social class and religion in the first place.

There's actually a fundamental and very real social dichotomy in values and mentality between the US and countries that are the source of her immigrants, and this applies even to contemporary time (now), any country that is the source of most of our immigrants would qualify for this description. The first country-source of immigration wouldn't be an exception, and in fact, is starker than any because it was from the struggles of that that the Constitution was founded and birthed.

Now Canada is a different story. Those guys stuck with them to the end with dogged loyalty. Oh those Canadians love em Brits and still have the queen on their notes and still go gaga for her descendants on that little island till today...lol

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-28-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,689,095 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I don't dislike them. In fact, I love London though that's the only part of the UK I have visited.

I chimed in when you said there is no greater country with a kinship to the US than the Brits. I did know quite vividly that German is the biggest ancestry. There is a shared history with the Brits insofar as colonization is involved.

Actually I know many Americans who feel a distance from the Brits more so than to any other country, both English and non English speaking. There is a reason America chose to separate from its colonial master, and willingly sacrificed tens of thousands of lives for the cause.

Immigrants first fled the "old country" because of social factors that infringed on their rights to happiness based on social class and religion in the first place.

There's actually a fundamental and very real social dichotomy in values and mentality between the US and countries that are the source of her immigrants, and this applies even to contemporary time (now), any country that is the source of most of our immigrants would qualify for this description. The first country-source of immigrant wouldn't be an exception, and in fact, is starker than any because it was from the struggles of that that the Constitution was founded and birthed.

Now Canada is a different story. Those guys stuck with them to the end. All the way till like what? The late 20th century? Lol
I know the Midwest and other areas of the country have predominate German populations. Not my experience since I am from the South. I can only comment from my perspective as to how people I know feel. To be real, the subject never really comes up in everyday conversation. As I don't really hear any negativity such as "The British should get out of Ireland" then I can only take it as approval of the British.

I do know that the ethnic groupings in the US are changing; more Hispanic and Asian as time goes on. British has become more Middle Eastern over time (and Asian as well). The likelihood that we won't know each other one day is looming (the US and British). It's all in the passage of time into history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 PM
 
350 posts, read 608,171 times
Reputation: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Official statistics published by the government show that German is the largest ancestry nationally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Actually, why is this the case if it's even true? The biggest ancestry in the US is German. Not Brit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
You are wrong.
Race and ethnicity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Census shows Americans of British ancestry (English, Scottsh, and I'll be generous and throw in Scot-Irish for you) add up to 8.7 + 1.7 + 1.5.. Is 11.9 per cent.

German is the largest ancestry. Maybe you want to fact check before assuming too much about uhhh anything?

German is the largest reported ancestry. Do you think that every Americans know exactly all their ancestry ?

In 1980, English was the largest ancestry with almost 50 million (German slightly behind) and there was 61 million British Americans (far more than in Britain). There are many reasons why the number is down nowadays, I could tell you if you want. The main reason is that Americans of British ancestry consider themselves of American ethnicity (20 million in the last census). We can see that in the South where it's the common answer but also a few in the lower Midwest, northern New England and the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2013, 05:22 PM
 
12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Reputation: 17601
I definitely think that the UK is our closest ally. We share an interesting and close history with one another, and even despite the worst times in our shared history, overall we are very close countries. We have an interesting and slightly unusual dynamic, mostly stemmed from history.

I like the British. I love their accents (they sound so much better when they speak than we do when we speak IMO - I could hear a Brit talk forever honestly ) and every one I have run into has been very nice, and most have nothing but nice things to say about us as well. I think most Americans either like the British, or simply have nothing bad to say about them. If you were to ask the average American his or her genuine opinion on the Brits, I'm sure it would be something good rather than something bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM
 
112 posts, read 126,536 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Like those Americans I named, you are not British too. I guess sometimes you forget.
Well I bloody well like him anyway!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2013, 12:19 PM
 
649 posts, read 982,347 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
German is the largest reported ancestry. Do you think that every Americans know exactly all their ancestry ?

In 1980, English was the largest ancestry with almost 50 million (German slightly behind) and there was 61 million British Americans (far more than in Britain). There are many reasons why the number is down nowadays, I could tell you if you want. The main reason is that Americans of British ancestry consider themselves of American ethnicity (20 million in the last census). We can see that in the South where it's the common answer but also a few in the lower Midwest, northern New England and the West.
So the British Americans started to identify themselves as purely, well just American somewhere along the line, more so than the German Americans.
I'm not sure what you hope to achieve with your question, "do you think every American knows all their ancestry". Whatever confusion or lack of knowledge that may exist in the British Americans, should not be unique and only afflict them. It should afflict most ethnicities equally, at least those who have immigrated around the same time. 1980 wasn't long ago enough from now to cause a confusion effect on just one group of Americans and not the German Americans.

I also have doubts about your hypothesis. Everybody I know is quite definitive about their ancestry. They can confidently say they are predominantly a mixture of so-and-on ancestries on each side. Another likely cause of the German Americans surpassing British Americans in reported numbers could be that the German Americans simply outpaced other groups in reproduction during that period.

In any case, what's the purpose of the thread OP? It's a strange question to ask in the first place.

Americans do not in particular loathe or especially love British tourists. Americans welcome British tourists just as much as German, French, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, Norwegian, Canadian, Australian, Korean tourists. Why would you expect otherwise? Or were you hoping to hear that you'll get some kind of special treatment or be coddled in some way above other tourists? If so, then the answer is no. Americans afflicted with euro-sitis exist in great numbers, but they aren't the majority.

Also there should be no doubt that America is a highly tourist-friendly place for all. Why would you even pose such a question? According to the Huffington Post and Forbes, among all countries America receives the 2nd highest number of tourists in the world after France #1 and before China #3 (additional trivia: tourism is one of the few economic sectors we have registering an annual surplus receipt. We get lots more foreigners rushing to visit our attractions than our people going out visiting others). So to even have questions on how you'd be received as a traveler unless you were asking about some special coddling is baffling. It's not like you were puzzled or worried about going to a place like say, Iran or Saudi Arabia (Saudi does not even issue tourist visa, foreigners can only enter for business) as a leisure traveler.

Last edited by sadgirl80; 09-29-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top