U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2013, 03:06 PM
 
350 posts, read 609,839 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
So the British Americans started to identify themselves as purely, well just American somewhere along the line, more so than the German Americans.
I'm not sure what you hope to achieve with your question, "do you think every American knows all their ancestry". Whatever confusion or lack of knowledge that may exist in the British Americans, should not be unique and only afflict them. It should afflict most ethnicities equally, at least those who have immigrated around the same time. 1980 wasn't long ago enough from now to cause a confusion effect on just one group of Americans and not the German Americans.
Well believe it or not but Americans of British descent don't feel British since the colonial area. When the Germans came they were a minority group and they spoke another language so they settled into neighbourhoods like Germantown. British folks were the largest in the colonial era, they already spoke English, they weren't persecuted because they had a different culture so they didn't have to claim and be pride of their ethnicity like the Irish or Italians. That's why it was easier for them to assimilate. Names like Hamilton, Williams or Lewis are of British origin but people don't necessary make the connection and they think those names are American, we can't blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I also have doubts about your hypothesis. Everybody I know is quite definitive about their ancestry. They can confidently say they are predominantly a mixture of so-and-on ancestries on each side. Another likely cause of the German Americans surpassing British Americans in reported numbers could be that the German Americans simply outpaced other groups in reproduction during that period.
If you have five different origins or more you're not gonna name it all, some people just say the ones whom they feel closest. It's not necessarily a lack of knowledge but if your ancestors came in the 16th or 17th century it's difficult to find informations about that. If there was a baby boom only in the German American community I think we would know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,342 posts, read 10,342,725 times
Reputation: 5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
German is the largest reported ancestry. Do you think that every Americans know exactly all their ancestry ?

In 1980, English was the largest ancestry with almost 50 million (German slightly behind) and there was 61 million British Americans (far more than in Britain). There are many reasons why the number is down nowadays, I could tell you if you want. The main reason is that Americans of British ancestry consider themselves of American ethnicity (20 million in the last census). We can see that in the South where it's the common answer but also a few in the lower Midwest, northern New England and the West.

Something else to ponder is that many Americans are part German and part English, or part German and part Irish, etc. etc. There is so much mixing, but many, many Americans have some English or British blood, even African Americans. I'm part Irish and English (Catholic Irish to boot), and my family harbors no animosity whatsoever towards Britian. We love the place, and Scotland as well.

And no, I can honestly say Germany has much far less influence in the US, at least the part I reside in. And this is regardless of what ancestry Americans are. I know quite a few German Americans myself and they rarely bring up Germany, unless they are first or second generation (my former boss and a friend of mine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Florida
22,433 posts, read 9,526,701 times
Reputation: 18305
Love the Brits. I married one. Enough Brits live in Florida for Publix to have a British food section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 AM
 
Location: USA
26 posts, read 26,968 times
Reputation: 20
Default MSsingle

I like that the British people are serious minded as a culture. Not saying that Americans are not, but some of us do tend to lean towards half-grown behaviors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,157 posts, read 36,355,190 times
Reputation: 63941
Love British history, British culture, British humor, and even British food! LOL And I'm looking forward to visiting England again next year (went this year as well). I don't know any Americans who dislike the British or feel particularly negative toward the UK, regardless of their ancestral history.

By the way, I am the consummate American mutt - English, Scottish, Irish, French, Jewish, Native American, and German ancestry. That's just what I know of. My husband and I just sent off our 23andme DNA tests so we'll see just how accurate "family lore" is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,568 posts, read 17,788,959 times
Reputation: 30960
I disagree that American English speaking Blacks or other races do not have an affinity for Britain. At least to a degree.

I think, however, that it is less pronounced due to the fact that anglophilia, in contrast with day-to-day cultural affinity, is largely a middle-class phenomenon. As Black Americans enter the ranks (and subculture) of the middle-class, you may see more overt appreciation of Britishism.

To say that White Americans like the British because they are White is very dubious at best and it doesn't explain our ambvalence about other European ethnicities who are just as 'White'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
45,157 posts, read 36,355,190 times
Reputation: 63941
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I disagree that American English speaking Blacks or other races do not have an affinity for Britain. At least to a degree.

I think, however, that it is less pronounced due to the fact that anglophilia, in contrast with day-to-day cultural affinity, is largely a middle-class phenomenon. As Black Americans enter the ranks (and subculture) of the middle-class, you may see more overt appreciation of Britishism.

To say that White Americans like the British because they are White is very dubious at best and it doesn't explain our ambvalence about other European ethnicities who are just as 'White'.
I know quite a few AAs who enjoy British television and movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,992 posts, read 42,080,368 times
Reputation: 14811
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know any Americans who dislike the British or feel particularly negative toward the UK, regardless of their ancestral history.
Some older Irish-Americans dislike the British. Then there's a current congressman from Long Island who called the IRA "the legitimate voice of occupied Northern Ireland" back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 PM
 
73 posts, read 86,451 times
Reputation: 33
I absolutely hate the stereotypical British who populate things like the comments section on your newspapers/media, the British government, and many message boards online. I have a lot of love for the country and especially for the normal people and immigrants there though.

I think the UK would be a much better country if it stopped living in denial about its past while trying to point the finger at the US all the time. All of Europe would be really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2015, 03:06 PM
 
1,068 posts, read 739,641 times
Reputation: 1025
Irish Americans are American, not Irish, never been there, and are gob****es
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top