U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:33 AM

115 posts, read 269,967 times

Advertisements

Hmm seems kinda strange that she got all these great replies and didn't respond back. Hope she's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,170 times
Im a single mother and ive decided to move to charlotte nc in a few more months.. Ive visited and realize that the pace is more my kinda pace coming from miami fl where i was born and raised. My daugther is 5 and as soon as she graduates from pre-k ill be gearing up. I too am in school and will only have one class to take via virtual college at my local college in miam while in nc. Im not sayin that a degree makes it ok but i would at least like to have something under my belt especially going somewhere i have no family and no friends. This is a chance to do something different. Exeperience a different place. Even if i do have to come back home at least i can say that i was 25 when i did this and i didnt wait til my daugther was 25 to do it.
Go for it if you havent already.
One life to live so ride this bad boy til the wheels fall off with no rearview mirrors to look back!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,928,344 times
I hope and pray you have a JOB lined up.....Pretty rough in Charlotte right now. I would take Miami, over Charlotte anyday.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,341,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyseekingmore View Post
I am a single mom with three small children who is considering a move to another state with no family or friends. I moved to Columbus, Ohio about three years ago from San Diego, California after my husband died so that I could be closer to my sister. Well, after living in Ohio after three years, I realize that this isn't my cup of tea. I want to start over some place else and don't want to limit myself to just where family and friends are located. I've lived overseas and a few other places and know that I don't want to live in Ohio for the long term. Money and finding a job isn't an issue because even in death, my husband is still the breadwinner and I haven't worked in 7 years. I'm open to any place too. Currently, I don't rely on my sister too much to look after the kids, but having that security is nice (just in case). However, is this enough to stay in a place that I'm not happy? My children are in a great Christian school and that's the only thing that holds me back. The issue is...Am I nuts for wanting to do this solo? Are there any other single parents that have already gone (or are going) through this?

Thanks
OMG! I just asked about this in another thread! I want to move my son and I to the Northeast but I have no family and support group up that way. I have been solo before but I didnt have a child either. my pregnancy is what brought me back to my family and hometown. four years later, Im ready to hit the road again with my child but I have no support system at all!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:34 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,341,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Happiness is 90% within yourself and only 10% location.

Sability for your children is the reason you should stay. It doesn't have anything to do with going solo. It has to do with providing stability for your children. Their father has died. They've established themselves in Ohio. Now you want to move them 3 years later. That's not stability. And stability is what children need the most.

Your happiness is irrelevant. You're a mother. Children come first. And, honestly, happiness comes from inside. It has little to do with location. You very well could go somewhere else only to find yourself 'unhappy' and wanting to move three years from now again and again. You shouldn't want to uproot your children.

Put your big girl pants on and learn to find happiness within yourself where you currently live.
there is nothing wrong with what she wants. when my brother and I were little my fathers job had us all over the world. stability starts in the home and the family circle anyway. my brother and I never cried about moving and had a great time at a young age experiencing different cultures and life experiences. we made friends easily wherever we went. to the OP, happiness is within youself and not a location but if you want to move then move. The children, if young, will probably be OK with it and when parents are happy, kids are happy

Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM

43 posts, read 114,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydev View Post
there is nothing wrong with what she wants. when my brother and I were little my fathers job had us all over the world. stability starts in the home and the family circle anyway. my brother and I never cried about moving and had a great time at a young age experiencing different cultures and life experiences. we made friends easily wherever we went. to the OP, happiness is within youself and not a location but if you want to move then move. The children, if young, will probably be OK with it and when parents are happy, kids are happy

AMEN!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM

7,143 posts, read 5,414,598 times
I am also a single mother moving to an area with no friends or family. I will be living in the same state but 3 hours away. I am moving to Charlotte, NC from Fayetteville, NC. I love Charlotte. My family is in Detroit and as we know the job market is not too good right now.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlelady10 View Post
i am also a single mother moving to an area with no friends or family. I will be living in the same state but 3 hours away. I am moving to charlotte, nc from fayetteville, nc. I love charlotte. My family is in detroit and as we know the job market is not too good right now.
fyi - job market sucks in charlotte, nc......get out while you can.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 11,535 times
I am a single Mom living in California and I have a 11 year old son going on 20 lol We are thinking about moving to Ada, Oklahoma where I have some family members still living in the area. I am hoping to move by the end of summer if all goes well. I am an ex-military wife so moving is not a big deal for me at the moment. I have been going thru a lot of junk and getting rid of items that we don't need. The last move was from Texas back to our home town and that was back in 1990. It is getting really expensive to live here and the schools are cutting the electives. It's really sad that the system does not want to teach our children cooking, auto, woodshop and they want to do away with the arts, music and sports. Most class sizes are 36-38 children per teacher with no other help as the state can't afford to pay their salaries. Our taxes just went up and it's hard living on a fixed income. My son is really looking forward to moving as we need a fresh start in life. I just hope we can get it done befor school starts as I don't want to move during the school year. I may be nuts doing this on my own but it's my son's future that I am worried about. I want him to have a good education not one based on budget cuts.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Even in Bakersfield.....I thought at least Bakersfield was immune from all of this "tomfoolery" thats going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or