U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM

216 posts, read 414,131 times

Advertisements

Since wer'e talking about schools and relocation and income there are some factors in favor of moving while the kids are still in high school.

In my case I moved down from Minnesota to Florida. I dropped the state income tax burden and heating costs. But the big one is college expenses. If your'e not in a protected class, you have to fund it, borrow it, or get a scholarship. U of Minn tuition for residents was 17k a year, multiply that by three kids and by 4 years each and it becomes real money at least to me.

My kids did well in school but not good enough by midwest standards to get a scholarship.
However, there were many southern states where they would get scholarships if they were residents, and by that, I mean living in the state for a year, so they spend their senior year there.
A big difference in cost. I chose Florida and the Bright Futures Program cost me only a few hundred a year. I have one kid who now has 2 BS degrees and she could have paid for it working part time if I didn't pay it. The other thing for girls is make sure they get into sports. Title 9 requires the same number of athletic scholarships go to females, gives them another edge, as if they need any since most colleges are majority female, many of them 3/4's or more.

BTW when I say sports, a girl just has to go out for anything, softball, badminton, she shows up and she's on the team, no competition, anything to get a varsity letter. The colleges are creating sports programs for females just so they can keep giving out scholarships to the male athletes and with a high ACT score she can get scholarships anywhere.

Last edited by grayrunner; 08-08-2013 at 07:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:57 PM

10 posts, read 53,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayrunner View Post
Since wer'e talking about schools and relocation and income there are some factors in favor of moving while the kids are still in high school.

In my case I moved down from Minnesota to Florida. I dropped the state income tax burden and heating costs. But the big one is college expenses. If your'e not in a protected class, you have to fund it, borrow it, or get a scholarship. U of Minn tuition for residents was 17k a year, multiply that by three kids and by 4 years each and it becomes real money at least to me.

My kids did well in school but not good enough by midwest standards to get a scholarship.
However, there were many southern states where they would get scholarships if they were residents, and by that, I mean living in the state for a year, so they spend their senior year there.
A big difference in cost. I chose Florida and the Bright Futures Program cost me only a few hundred a year. I have one kid who now has 2 BS degrees and she could have paid for it working part time if I didn't pay it. The other thing for girls is make sure they get into sports. Title 9 requires the same number of athletic scholarships go to females, gives them another edge, as if they need any since most colleges are majority female, many of them 3/4's or more.

BTW when I say sports, a girl just has to go out for anything, softball, badminton, she shows up and she's on the team, no competition, anything to get a varsity letter. The colleges are creating sports programs for females just so they can keep giving out scholarships to the male athletes and with a high ACT score she can get scholarships anywhere.
This is good information to consider for parents of college bound kids....thanks for sharing. I have not been overly concerned with college tuition because my children are eligible for educational survivor benefits through the military. I've also set aside enough money to pay for all of their additional education expenses if they decide to get another degree.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You really have to stop thinking about what YOU want and consider what is best for the children. It is ALWAYS better to have some extended family around. Children cannot be loved by family too much. They need that for their development. Being in the middle of nowhere with no family does not for a secure, happy childhood make. I am very sorry for your loss and feel terrible that your family does not have the benefit of having a father present, but having and Uncle or Grandfather can make that loss less traumatic for a child, ESPECIALLY if one of your children is male and needs a father figure to teach him how to be a man.

Instead of moving "someplace" to start over, I would move CLOSER to as many family members as possible, even if it wasn't my "cup of tea". It's really not about you.

20yrsinBranson
I know that this was not just about me and what I want. This is the reason I asked the question several years ago. I wanted to get advice and as much information before I made a decision because children were involved. As for having an uncle or grandfather present, unfortunately, that is not an option.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When you say "Ohio is not your cup of tea" what part of it? The weather? That's the part that is a little hard to take - in the middle of February.

Yes I have felt this way before. I lived in PA for three years and I tried to be enthusiastic and look for the positive aspects of the place - but the people were to closed towards outsiders.

You are fortunate that money is not a constraint. Blessed, really.

If you give me more of an idea of what you are looking for, perhaps I could help you better.

I really love North Eastern Ohio! I enjoy four seasons, and this part of Ohio has a nice New England vibe - since it was settled by people from Connecticut. Being madly in love with my church doesn't hurt.
I was living in Worthington, OH (outside of Columbus). I didn't like the weather and I found it to be very boring...a little hard to make friends too. I have since moved to Suwanee, GA and like it much better. The weather is nice, there's a lot to do and the people are very friendly. The only thing the kids and I miss in Ohio are the amazing amusements parks....really the best in the world.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdreamsofasinglemoma View Post
I am a single mother that my oldest daughter just wrnt off to college and now its just my 9yr old and I...and I am looking for change and been wanting to do this for a very long time, but was scared to go somewhere away firom my comfort zone and friends and family. However, Im over that so I want and need a chanfe asap..California had been somewhere I always dreamed of living just because I the profession I going in to and career choice that Im working towards now and a junior in Temple University majoring in Comm Sudies broadcasting which I plan to move once I graduate with my son. M nervous and wish I could pick up and move now butvi dont have the finances. .but I have faith that God will help me and set the way I just have to have confidence and faith and do thebwork and make the move! So I kow how you feel..however your in a better position bc you have the finances..so all I can say is go for it but most importantly consider the children by researching and pick wisely based on the school district or education being the best if that helps bc if I dont have to pay for private school for my son to have the best education why not chose a stae or area with the best public school system I hope that helps but your not the only single parent in the same shoes...I pray that you and the kids find your way and happiness whatever yoi chose!!
Niema
Thank you and I hope you find what you're looking for as well. Please provide an update when your status changes.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:11 PM

5 posts, read 6,038 times
I don't know if anyone has ever heard of singleparentsrelocate.com but this has been the best resource by far that I have found. It really helped me with my move.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,733 times
I'm new to this reaching out for support from people I don't know. and I totally feel for mommyseekingmore but after hearing how Hopes attack her for reaching out I'm not sure no more. but I have to say something. I lost my husband 7yrs ago and I was 6mo pregnant with a 2yr old left to raise them alone and when he stopped breathing the big girl pants came on and I'm sure it did for the woman who is reaching out for help not judgment. and for Hope news flash if mommy isn't happy kids really wont be happy. every one handles loss different and I don't know if you have loss a mate in the middle of rising a family (it don't sound like it by your statements) but until you do don't judge. and even then don't we are all in this world together trying to make it the best way we can. don't take someone's else's hurt to get your 5 minutes of fame off their pain. oh yeah stability comes from their mom not where they live.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 870 times
Am a single mother of three girls two 14 and a two year old I live in Louisiana were there is little help for single mothers and I currently lost my job and haven't been able to find another one I want to move back to New Mexico were I have land I've inherited and I feel I have a better chance of making something outta my self there but I have nothing no car no money saved up I lived check to check if there are any suggestions please let me know I am so unhappy here and see that my depression is getting worse cuz I can't find work and my sister is getting tried of me living here even tho my fs put food in the house and basically am her maid am ready to get back to a state that has better help for single mothers

Old 02-02-2017, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 839 times
i am a single mom i have been thinking about moving to a different state i'm researching what could be my best fit right now my son is two ears old and i was thinking that if i wanted to change how our lives are going i should start now while he so young but would it be worth moving away from familiar surroundings, family. i don't really have a social life i work and take care of my son while living with my mom but i feel like i'm holding myself back from potentially being happy im trying to determine if i should just move away so i can be more self sufficient

Old 02-03-2017, 11:39 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,392,734 times
Raleigh, NC great school system. Moderate climate, close to mountains and beach. Plenty of other families, and arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or