Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,176 times

Advertisements

I want to move and start a new life with my son to Henderson Nevada from Ft. Bliss Texas. I am Asian but US citizen. I'm 30 yrs. old, looking for a place to live, work and send my son to school nearby our place to be. Is there anyone here can suggest what i need to do? i don't have job yet, Am I b elligible for un employment while i'm looking for a job or finish my school? I only have certificate of completion in Phlebotomy which i want to pursue more and obtained my licensed. Please, anyone can help me? i only have 6-8 mos from now to find a place after my divorce very soon. Thank you in advance for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 05:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyseekingmore View Post
I am a single mom with three small children who is considering a move to another state with no family or friends. I moved to Columbus, Ohio about three years ago from San Diego, California after my husband died so that I could be closer to my sister. Well, after living in Ohio after three years, I realize that this isn't my cup of tea. I want to start over some place else and don't want to limit myself to just where family and friends are located. I've lived overseas and a few other places and know that I don't want to live in Ohio for the long term. Money and finding a job isn't an issue because even in death, my husband is still the breadwinner and I haven't worked in 7 years. I'm open to any place too. Currently, I don't rely on my sister too much to look after the kids, but having that security is nice (just in case). However, is this enough to stay in a place that I'm not happy? My children are in a great Christian school and that's the only thing that holds me back. The issue is...Am I nuts for wanting to do this solo? Are there any other single parents that have already gone (or are going) through this?

Thanks
You really have to stop thinking about what YOU want and consider what is best for the children. It is ALWAYS better to have some extended family around. Children cannot be loved by family too much. They need that for their development. Being in the middle of nowhere with no family does not for a secure, happy childhood make. I am very sorry for your loss and feel terrible that your family does not have the benefit of having a father present, but having and Uncle or Grandfather can make that loss less traumatic for a child, ESPECIALLY if one of your children is male and needs a father figure to teach him how to be a man.

Instead of moving "someplace" to start over, I would move CLOSER to as many family members as possible, even if it wasn't my "cup of tea". It's really not about you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhaenate_0410 View Post
I want to move and start a new life with my son to Henderson Nevada from Ft. Bliss Texas. I am Asian but US citizen. I'm 30 yrs. old, looking for a place to live, work and send my son to school nearby our place to be. Is there anyone here can suggest what i need to do? i don't have job yet, Am I b elligible for un employment while i'm looking for a job or finish my school? I only have certificate of completion in Phlebotomy which i want to pursue more and obtained my licensed. Please, anyone can help me? i only have 6-8 mos from now to find a place after my divorce very soon. Thank you in advance for the reply.
You are only eligible for unemployment if you have recently been employed and lost your job. Unemployment is not merely because you aren't working. There may be services you can avail yourself of in Nevada, but you must investigate that before you move to a state with no place to live and no income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You really have to stop thinking about what YOU want and consider what is best for the children. It is ALWAYS better to have some extended family around. Children cannot be loved by family too much. They need that for their development. Being in the middle of nowhere with no family does not for a secure, happy childhood make. I am very sorry for your loss and feel terrible that your family does not have the benefit of having a father present, but having and Uncle or Grandfather can make that loss less traumatic for a child, ESPECIALLY if one of your children is male and needs a father figure to teach him how to be a man.

Instead of moving "someplace" to start over, I would move CLOSER to as many family members as possible, even if it wasn't my "cup of tea". It's really not about you.

20yrsinBranson
The original question was asked in 2009!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

The original question was asked in 2009!
Well, save me from having to wade through the responses, what did she do?

Also, the title of this thread caught my eye, no doubt, it will catch other people's eyes as well. Maybe my stellar advice will help someone else out.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-14-2013, 06:19 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, save me from having to wade through the responses, what did she do?

Also, the title of this thread caught my eye, no doubt, it will catch other people's eyes as well. Maybe my stellar advice will help someone else out.

20yrsinBranson
Lol, not me. I have enough to do to keep up with current queries. But, I'm pretty certain the OP figured it all out. Poster #31 could use some help though.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:33 AM

10 posts, read 67,326 times
Update: Wow, so many responses! This post slipped my mind. I apologize for responding years later. Well, I moved to Suwanee, Georgia (closer to family, but still in a different state..they're in Tennessee). Unfortunately, I compromised on my decision to relocate here. It's a great place to live but just not my first choice. I would have loved to spend time overseas again and expose my children to different cultures, but I took the safe route.

I'm happy to see others considering such a bold move. I hope that everyone will be able to find their piece of happiness.

Last edited by mommyseekingmore; 06-15-2013 at 02:44 AM..

Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
And best wishes that you will find the opportunity to travel... so you can experience the places you love, at least as much as you can!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
I am a single mom with three small children who is considering a move to another state with no family or friends. I moved to Columbus, Ohio about three years ago from San Diego, California after my husband died so that I could be closer to my sister. Well, after living in Ohio after three years, I realize that this isn't my cup of tea. I want to start over some place else and don't want to limit myself to just where family and friends are located. I've lived overseas and a few other places and know that I don't want to live in Ohio for the long term. Money and finding a job isn't an issue because even in death, my husband is still the breadwinner and I haven't worked in 7 years. I'm open to any place too. Currently, I don't rely on my sister too much to look after the kids, but having that security is nice (just in case). However, is this enough to stay in a place that I'm not happy? My children are in a great Christian school and that's the only thing that holds me back. The issue is...Am I nuts for wanting to do this solo? Are there any other single parents that have already gone (or are going) through this?

Thanks

When you say "Ohio is not your cup of tea" what part of it? The weather? That's the part that is a little hard to take - in the middle of February.

Yes I have felt this way before. I lived in PA for three years and I tried to be enthusiastic and look for the positive aspects of the place - but the people were to closed towards outsiders.

You are fortunate that money is not a constraint. Blessed, really.

If you give me more of an idea of what you are looking for, perhaps I could help you better.

I really love North Eastern Ohio! I enjoy four seasons, and this part of Ohio has a nice New England vibe - since it was settled by people from Connecticut. Being madly in love with my church doesn't hurt.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 PM

39 posts, read 152,606 times
Quote:

Thanks

Your not crazy about 6 years ago I left everything I knew. Friends and family. I have been in FL for about six years and I am ready for a change. I too have been wondering if I am crazy for wanting this and if I was capable of moving again and starting fresh. I have felt this way for two years it has only been my love for a man that has held me here. But I see no commitment is going to be made on his behalf. I am tired of wasting my life here in hopes of something more. I have an adventurers soul and really feel its time to move on completely. In doing so I wish to move out west as I have never experience life out that way. I say go for it. You never know till you try it. You should never let fear hold you back. great things can come of new experiences. I wish you the best of luck in finding what is best for you and your children!!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,849 times
I am a single mother that my oldest daughter just wrnt off to college and now its just my 9yr old and I...and I am looking for change and been wanting to do this for a very long time, but was scared to go somewhere away firom my comfort zone and friends and family. However, Im over that so I want and need a chanfe asap..California had been somewhere I always dreamed of living just because I the profession I going in to and career choice that Im working towards now and a junior in Temple University majoring in Comm Sudies broadcasting which I plan to move once I graduate with my son. M nervous and wish I could pick up and move now butvi dont have the finances. .but I have faith that God will help me and set the way I just have to have confidence and faith and do thebwork and make the move! So I kow how you feel..however your in a better position bc you have the finances..so all I can say is go for it but most importantly consider the children by researching and pick wisely based on the school district or education being the best if that helps bc if I dont have to pay for private school for my son to have the best education why not chose a stae or area with the best public school system I hope that helps but your not the only single parent in the same shoes...I pray that you and the kids find your way and happiness whatever yoi chose!!
Niema
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.