U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/ cities do you feel with move up in point value in the future?
Chicago move to 12 point 16 19.28%
Los Angeles move to 12 point 11 13.25%
San Francisco move to 10 point 13 15.66%
Boston move to 7 point 12 14.46%
Dallas move to 7 point 19 22.89%
Houston move to 7 point 25 30.12%
Washington D.C. move to 7 point 19 22.89%
Atlanta move to 5 point 19 22.89%
Miami move to 5 point 12 14.46%
Minneapolis move to 5 point 8 9.64%
Philidelphia move to 4 point 12 14.46%
Cleveland move to 3 point 2 2.41%
Detroit move to 3 point 3 3.61%
Pittsburgh move to 3 point 11 13.25%
Seattle move to 3 point 17 20.48%
Baltimore move to 2 point 5 6.02%
Columbus move to 2 point 5 6.02%
Kansas City move to 2 point 5 6.02%
Richmond move to 2 point 0 0%
Some new cities will be added to the list (please explain) 11 13.25%
All the cities will stay the same in point value 2 2.41%
Some cities will fall to a lower point value 11 13.25%
Some cities will fall off the list entirely 9 10.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:08 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times

Advertisements

We all know the GaWC as the defintive list of the world's most significant cities. Here's the official list as of 2007:

A. ALPHA WORLD CITIES (full service world cities)
12: London, New York, Paris, Tokyo

10: Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore

B. BETA WORLD CITIES (major world cities)
9: San Francisco, Sydney, Toronto, Zurich

8: Brussels, Madrid, Mexico City, Sao Paulo

7: Moscow, Seoul

C. GAMMA WORLD CITIES (minor world cities)
6: Amsterdam, Boston, Caracas, Dallas, Düsseldorf, Geneva, Houston, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Melbourne, Osaka, Prague, Santiago, Taipei, Washington D.C.

5: Bangkok, Beijing, Montreal, Rome, Stockholm, Warsaw

4: Atlanta, Barcelona, Berlin, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Copenhagen, Hamburg, Istanbul, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Miami, Minneapolis, Munich, Shanghai

D. EVIDENCE OF WORLD CITY FORMATION
3: Athens, Auckland, Dublin, Helsinki, Luxembourg, Lyon, Mumbai, New Delhi, Philadelphia, Rio de Janeiro, Tel Aviv, Vienna

2: Abu Dhabi, Almaty, Birmingham, Bogota, Bratislava, Brisbane, Bucharest, Cairo, Cleveland, Cologne, Detroit, Dubai, Ho Chi Minh City, Kiev, Lima, Lisbon, Manchester, Montevideo, Oslo, Riyadh, Rotterdam, Seattle, Stuttgart, The Hague, Vancouver

1: Adelaide, Antwerp, Arhus, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bologna, Brasilia, Calgary, Cape Town, Colombo, Columbus, Dresden, Edinburgh, Genoa, Glasgow, Gothenburg, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Kansas City, Leeds, Lille, Marseille, Richmond, St Petersburg, Tashkent, Tehran, Tijuana, Turin, Utrecht, Wellington

Which city/ cities do you believe has the potential to move up a notch in the next 20-30 years?

For the sake of arguement I'm only going to include US world cities in the poll but feel free to discuss all the cities. So here would be the list of US world cities:

12: New York City
10: Chicago, Los Angeles
9: San Francisco
8:
7:
6: Boston, Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C.
5:
4: Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis
3: Philidelphia
2: Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Seattle
1: Baltimore, Columbus, Kansas City, Richmond

Which do you feel are the most likely to move up in "value" in the future (say 20-30 years)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Washington, Houston, and Atlanta.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
For the sake of arguement I'm only going to include US world cities in the poll but feel free to discuss all the cities. So here would be the list of US world cities:

12: New York City
10: Chicago, Los Angeles
9: San Francisco
8:
7:
6: Boston, Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C.
5:
4: Atlanta, Miami, Minneapolis
3: Philidelphia
2: Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Seattle
1: Baltimore, Columbus, Kansas City, Richmond

Which do you feel are the most likely to move up in "value" in the future (say 20-30 years)?
Columbus: If present growth rates continue, as it is now the 15th-largest city in the nation with over 700,000 residents in the city proper. New cultural amenities will continue to develop to cater to this growing population, which almost seems out-of-character for an older Ohio city.

Pittsburgh: I think it will ascend a notch towards the latter part of that 30-year timeframe as the population decline it has seen for decades starts to reverse and the intellectual base in the city continues to grow.

Seattle: Assuming the massive 9.0 earthquake doesn't hit during this 30-year timeframe, I also think it will rise one more notch like Pittsburgh as the population continues to grow and become even more literate than it already is.

Philadelphia: I'd guess that the city's massive crime issues will be under control over the next 20-30 years, at which point the city can capitalize upon its inexpensive cost-of-living (in relation to the rest of the BosWash Corridor) and grow again in population, boosting it up one notch.

Atlanta: This is an "iffy" one. I personally think that as residents tire of sprawling themselves further and further and further out away from the urban core of the city that the population density of Atlanta will boom again, but as of right now it's still too premature to determine whether enough people will become fed-up with the hellish commutes to be inspired to move closer to the city proper or if better mass transit options will be implemented over the course of the next 20-30 years to permit urban sprawl to continue its outward expansion.

Minneapolis: Similar to Atlanta, the Twin Cities have a MASSIVE urban sprawl problem that is causing their core cities to stagnate and tempers to flare among overstressed suburban commuters on gridlocked freeways. There is likewise a wonderful opportunity present to encourage more people to consider living in the city limits of Minneapolis and St. Paul themselves, as each city has some very liveable urban neighborhoods.

Dallas: With one of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas of the country, Dallas may be poised to gain a spot by the end of that 30-year timeframe, assuming that severe droughts associated with global warming don't cause people to move back north out of fear of a lack of potable water in North Texas. The same drought issues could be related to both Las Vegas and Phoenix as well, even though they're not included on the list.

Houston: This city just exemplifies the old phrase "Everything is BIGGER in Texas." I believe Houston (or Jacksonville) is the U.S. city with the largest land area within its limits, and Houston can annex its suburbs if it wishes to eventually overtake Chicago as the nation's third-largest city and rise up a few notches. As referenced with Dallas, two very realistic threats facing Houston and that can stunt its population growth are potential water shortages (which can be rectified through desalinization of Gulf water) and a major hurricane (imagine if a Category 5 were to slam into Galveston and then on into Houston!)

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-15-2007 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 PM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Norfolk or Newport News may overtake NYC as the biggest port traffic area in the US. That has to be important somehow.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 PM

Great breakdown Scranton.

I agree with Atlanta and Minneapolis. Both have a HUGE issue with sprawl and I can't forsee either finding a solution to it.

I personally believe Dallas and Houston have the best chance of gaining position over the years. Both cities have a huge downtown and both have very important domestic and global companies and impact.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Great breakdown Scranton.

I agree with Atlanta and Minneapolis. Both have a HUGE issue with sprawl and I can't forsee either finding a solution to it.

I personally believe Dallas and Houston have the best chance of gaining position over the years. Both cities have a huge downtown and both have very important domestic and global companies and impact.
Thanks. As an aside, I know "Vasinger" will kill me for this one, but what the heck is a small city like Richmond, VA doing on this list while other larger cities, like Phoenix (6th-largest in our nation and soon to overtake Philly to become 5th-largest) are not?

Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 PM

Also, I realize I portrayed a very, very hypothetical "Doomsday" type of image for places like Seattle with the earthquake and Houston with the hurricane, but just look at what happened to New Orleans over the course of just a few days. That city might have been poised to be at level 12 for this ranking, but one ticked-off chick named Katrina came through and decimated it to the point of no recovery. The same could happen to Seattle when that fault below downtown finally shakes, rattles, and rolls, as well as in Houston if Katrina Junior slams into it and turns those glass-paned skyscrapers into little shards of death on helpless pedestrians below! No offense to you, Speedy, but I also think that Phoenix will have MAJOR drought problems in 50 years if more aquifers aren't located to service the rapidly-expanding population. The Colorado River can only supply so much potable water before Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas bleed it dry. Do you know of any long-range plans in Arizona to handle that situation or are they going to take Scranton's approach of "we'll wait and see and THEN react." LOL!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,148,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Norfolk or Newport News may overtake NYC as the biggest port traffic area in the US. That has to be important somehow.
If you're talking about seaports, Los Angeles/Long Beach is the busiest port area BY FAR in the U.S. New York/New Jersey is #1 on the East Coast, but FAR behind LA/LB. Second on the East Coast (but FAR FAR FAR behind NY/NJ is Charleston. I think Norfolk/Newport News is slightly behind them.

From the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (2003)...

Rank by value Port name U.S. maritime trade Exports Imports
1 Port of Los Angeles, CA 122,051 16,865 105,186
2 Port of New York and New Jersey 101,176 24,303 76,873
3 Port of Long Beach, CA 95,863 17,163 78,700
4 Port of Houston, TX 49,893 21,439 28,454
5 Port of Charleston, SC 39,375 13,374 26,000
6 Port of Norfolk Harbor, VA 29,495 11,026 18,469
7 Port of Tacoma, WA 26,332 5,203 21,129
8 Port of Baltimore, MD 25,956 5,686 20,270
9 Port of Oakland, CA 25,144 7,762 17,382
10 Port of Seattle, WA 23,078 5,688 17,390

If you look at a rank by weight, Norfolk ranks 13th.

But as to which cities I think will move up, I think overall, U.S. and European cities will decline in importance over the next few decades. How many Chinese cities can you name?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
No offense to you, Speedy, but I also think that Phoenix will have MAJOR drought problems in 50 years if more aquifers aren't located to service the rapidly-expanding population. The Colorado River can only supply so much potable water before Phoenix, Tucson, and Las Vegas bleed it dry. Do you know of any long-range plans in Arizona to handle that situation or are they going to take Scranton's approach of "we'll wait and see and THEN react." LOL!
None taken. I've read different articles but I think they're "pretending" that it'll never happen. They don't want to face the reality that in the coming years, the whole southwest will face a water crisis and will be very unprepared to deal with it.

Thank God I won't have to deal with it though, I'll be in Dallas.

I agree when I saw Richmond and Kansas City I thought "What the Hell?". But Phoenix really has no industry. It's a beautiful place to live, great place to raise a family, but just doesn't have all the components that make a city a "world city". But I still think that it should be included at SOME level.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post

Houston: This city just exemplifies the old phrase "Everything is BIGGER in Texas." I believe Houston (or Jacksonville) is the U.S. city with the largest land area within its limits, and Houston can annex its suburbs if it wishes to eventually overtake Chicago as the nation's third-largest city and rise up a few notches. As referenced with Dallas, two very realistic threats facing Houston and that can stunt its population growth are potential water shortages (which can be rectified through desalinization of Gulf water) and a major hurricane (imagine if a Category 5 were to slam into Galveston and then on into Houston!)
Well the city doesn't annex its suburbs in order to attain a larger population. That's cheating, lol. And even if a C5 hurricane hit the coast, yes Galveston would be severely damaged, but a large part of Houston is far enough inland to be left pretty much untouched.

What I think everybody needs to understand is that in 20 years (2027) it will be almost 30 years since the last list was made. It would be the same length of time from 1962 to 1990 (Even though we're no longer in the transitional years). More than just quite a bit will have changed. I see Atlanta moving up to the number 5 or 6 spot, Houston, a potential 7 or 8 (and for a city that is just much bigger than San Francisco, in every sense of the word, it shouldn't be all that hard for it to join them), and Washington at a number 8 or 9 spot, hmm?

And we all love Chicago, but there is no way it will reach the number 12 spot. Not unless they add a 13 place. Beautiful city, but we're lying to ourselves when we say that Chicago is just as internationally important as New York. I highly doubt that there will ever be more than one American city in the top place, but Los Angeles would get it before Chi-town would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or