U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,732,057 times

Advertisements

I just hand them a bottle of beer to cut out the middleman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 03:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,275,085 times
I feel bad for homeless people; but really only the ones who just happened that way due to life circumstances beyond their control. I know that if someone is homeless, they can't get a job since they have no permanent residence. It's those who have a place to live and don't even bother to look for work and just beg for money.

People beg on the subways a lot. You can't always trust those people, but you can usually tell who really does need the money. That's when I do give out some change. I remember last year around the holidays, there was this guy who mentioned to the homeless person that there's a food pantry at the next couple stops. I don't know why these people don't just go to a food pantry to get food. I would never want to beg for food.

There are way fewer homeless people on the streets nowadays though. I remember in the late 80s when I was a kid in NYC; I saw bums all over the place.

I was in Times Square a while ago and saw this bum holding a cardboard sign that said "Need money for hookers and beer." lol people were laughing and giving him money because of how honest he was.

I recently saw a bum on the subway whose shoes were all torn and his feet were sticking out, and he stunk. That's an obvious sign that he really did need the money for basic needs.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,740,505 times
I usually only give money to kids or handicap (not the ones of crutches or sitting in a wheelchair, but people with missing legs or arms). I once tired to buy this kid (he was like 11) a meal at McDonald's and told him he could get whatever he wanted, but he was like "No, I just want 5 dollars!" and I told him no and he said "F**k you" and walked off.

During the Katrina era; it was bad in Texas. Lots of people would come to the gas stations and ask people for "gas" money and tell stories about how they got like a million kids need to feed them and ****. It was usually lies because they'd pull that same stuff all the time.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM

56,436 posts, read 54,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I feel the same way. I used to give if the person was handicapped or was older but I came to realize that a lot of these "beggars" know all the tricks. Safe bet that most are scammers. All people are doing is supporting their drinking/drug habit.
There used to be a guy that stood at the bottom of the escalators down to PATH at the World Trade Center who I think must've robbed a surgical supply store. He had a whiplash collar and a pair of crutches and would stand there holding out his coffee can. One day around 3 p.m. I went down to the newsstand down there because there were long lines for Lotto on the Concourse. He was busy screwing together his crutches.

Then I saw him on other streets every so often and he had a wheelchair.

There was a blind woman, too, with the red-tipped white cane. We all saw her merrily walking down the street from time to time, cane tucked under her arm, apparently able to see quite well.

Give to the shelters and food pantries.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,422,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Neither do I. If the right thing to do is supply a city with crime and addiction, as well as more urban ills, than i must be extremely confused
On top of many homeless being mentally ill some have physical addictions. If they need alcohol or drugs to get through the night than far be it for me to deny them that. No one knows what that person has gone through. The way homeless are treated in urban society is pretty sad.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:17 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,197,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
On top of many homeless being mentally ill some have physical addictions. If they need alcohol or drugs to get through the night than far be it for me to deny them that. No one knows what that person has gone through. The way homeless are treated in urban society is pretty sad.
Dude, are you kidding me? You're taking the phrase bleeding heart to a new level.

If a homeless moocher needs half a bottle of Smirnoff and some pills to get him through the night it doesn't concern me in the least, but it will be a cold day in Hades before I fork over one penny of my hard-earned cash to support the crumb's habits.

Nothing's ever anyone's fault anymore. If someone's a drug addict, they must "need" it to get through their day and we would be ignorant by judging him/her. I'm sure it will sound just as logical when you or someone you love falls victim to a violent crime. Sound alarmist? Perhaps, but try rationalizing the plight of the downtrodden man when your wife or daughter suffers an attack.

Christ, when will people put down their granola and wake the hell up.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:25 PM

777 posts, read 1,124,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
I just hand them a bottle of beer to cut out the middleman.
Ha ha! Great idea.

It would be fun to buy a bottle of moderately priced bourbon and share it with a couple of homeless guy sitting in the park watching the world go by. I'd probably get arrested, lose my job over the debacle, and end up homeless myself. Maybe I'll just give them the bottle instead of sharing. Like you said.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 PM

11,888 posts, read 10,422,571 times
Obviously there are exceptions but you can usually tell when someone is in desperate need. My point was that I don't know how that person ended up the way they did and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in their shoes. Homelessness is a viscious cycle that is very hard to break out of. If that person needs something to escape from their lives for a while than I don't have a problem with it.
Shelters are not options for some homeless. Have you been in one? The conditions are more dangerous than the streets. There are countless stories of violence and rape that go unreported. Until our society finds a proper way to deal with the problem than I see no problem giving money to homeless.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,341,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Are you trying to say i simply brush them off? I said earlier that i give them actual food as opposed to money. Feeding their addictions does no good, at all. If they are mentally ill, which most homeless people are, drugs and alcohol will do them no good.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,305,893 times
There was this guy who'd haunt Hyde Pk in Sydney. He'd go up to someone and say "Excuse me, I just have to say, you look incredibly cool".
I fell for it the first time, and said "Gee, thanks". (I'm never enthusiastic at my private time being interrupted when I'm trying to have lunch).
He then said "Would you like a million dollars?".
I said "no, not really."
He said "Well, if you dont need it, can you spare a few dollars for me?".

I gave him a buck that one time, but he's asked me at least five times since then. (Complete with the whole routine described above). I just say "you've asked me that already" and he's most apologetic, leaving straight away.

One time someone asked my DH for money to make a phone call, he offered them the use of his cell...(not that wise, they could've stolen it). Strangely enough, they swore at him and stalked off.

I just ignore pan-handlers now, otherwise I'd never get to work or home again. I also dont see why I should give someone my money b/c theyre sitting there holding out their hand. Theres plenty of work on the farm if they'd like to earn some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or