Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times

Advertisements

Buy them food instead. You would be suprised how many will refuse it. In addition, you would also be suprised about some of the criminal records of some of these seemingly harmless beggar types. If you want to help them, but them food or give to a homeless shelter. DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY. Many use the money on drugs which just perpetrates the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
One time this guy came up to my car at the gas station and he told me this elborate story about how his car broke down and how he didn't have any money on him at the moment, he showed me identification and he told me his address, blah blah blah. He said he needed $13, so I thought "hmm, he took all this time to tell me that stuff, so it must be legit" So I gave him the money. Well a week later, the same guy came up to me and told me the same story, asking for $13. Needless to say, I dont give money to strangers anymore, but I used to do it all the time. Don't be fooled people! Donate to charity

Old 11-25-2009, 12:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
I never give to the homeless.

Funny story about this. I was in Washington D.C. several years ago in early spring, and over the course of two days, I was approached by the same beggar, an overweight black woman, with the same line "Help I have five kids!", three times. Needless to say I exercised restraint, but looking back on it now, I wish I had just said what I was thinking: "Close your damn legs!".

Now certain charities, such as those dedicated to scientific research, I have no problem giving to as long as I can afford/budget it in.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
In addition, you would also be suprised about some of the criminal records of some of these seemingly harmless beggar types.
And you might be surprised to know that a large portion of these people are mentally ill and need help from a broken system that has failed them.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,342,023 times
I'll slip them a buck or two on ocassion.

I really don't care if they buy crack with it, at least I know I did the right thing.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
And you might be surprised to know that a large portion of these people are mentally ill and need help from a broken system that has failed them.
Many are mentally ill as well, but why does a system "fail" anyone. Their families failed them by failing to provide adequate help. There is no system responsible for these people- there are individuals.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post

I really don't care if they buy crack with it, at least I know I did the right thing.
Feeding a crack habit when that is the very thing that is keeping on the streets and leading to their early demise is the right thing? Not to mention the blight that their addiction causes to downtowns. Sorry, but I don't follow your logic.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:57 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Neither do I. If the right thing to do is supply a city with crime and addiction, as well as more urban ills, than i must be extremely confused

Old 11-25-2009, 01:10 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post

It's this ridiculous mentality that perpetuates the problem.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,453 times
I don't usually give to the homeless because you never know which ones are really in need, and which ones make more money than you and me. I only give when I get the feeling someone really needs the help.

My dad had a lady walk up to him and ask for gas money to get back to her family in New Orleans so he gave her the benefit of the doubt and $20, well, 2 or 3 days later the same lady walked up to him at the same gas station with the same story. He said "You don't remember me do you?" She looked puzzled and he said "You already got me a couple days ago".

My wife and I were in Chattanooga getting gas and a guy walks by and says "Mr. Chrysler, buy me a beer", to which I replied "Nope" and he says "Why not?" so I told him "Because I said so". Not the way to get anything from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.