U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you like and why?
Kentucky 4 11.43%
Tennessee 10 28.57%
Mississippi 4 11.43%
Alabama 6 17.14%
Georgia 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,192,067 times

Advertisements

Scotslass, I would say that western Tennessee has a bit of a Mississippi-esque feel. Particularly Memphis; I've heard people say that they tend to associate the history of Memphis and the music scene in western Tennessee with the culture of the Mississippi Delta. Alabama's culture is similar, but I would say is also quite different from MS, as it has the Gulf Shores and the connection with the beaches of northern Florida. This is atypical of a Deep South state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I guess TN, since it has 4 seasons more than the other states. It's also a little less backwards than the other states, lol.
Can you make one post without that insufferable tone of condescending snobbishness? It's extremely immature and quite telling when one dedicates half their postings to making smug, backhanded comments about other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 PM

56,064 posts, read 54,565,498 times
I've only been to Georgia, as a teenager, and what I remember most is stopping at a fruit stand and getting the best peaches I've ever had in my life. This was years ago, and I still remember those peaches. The only other time I was in Georgia was at the Hartsfield/Atlanta airport waiting to switch flights.

Everyone I've ever met who has been to Tennessee says it is one of the most beautiful places they've ever seen, so I would like to visit there. On the list after that would be Kentucky. I'd like to see the horse country.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Tennessee, it's my adopted home state! East Tennessee is absolutely gorgeous and has pretty much anything I could ever want, except it's a little lacking in the golden, sandy beaches department.

Kentucky would probably be next, since the bits of it I'm familiar with are quite a lot like TN.

Next would be Alabama. Lived there and enjoyed it for the most part. The charm of downtown Mobile with the moss dripping live oaks along the streets, to Dauphin Island beaches, to the hills and lakes of northern Alabama.

Haven't seen enough of Georgia to know for sure, but I have family there and they say it's a lot like Alabama, so I guess it would be next on the list for me.

Mississippi would be last on my list. I like the beaches along the coast, but other than that I haven't seen anywhere in Mississippi that I really care for, and the scenery leaves me a little flat.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,860,415 times
I'd say Alabama, I used to drive up US 431 around Eufala every morning and it was breathtaking beautiful with the fog rising off the lakes at daybreak.

Tennessee I lived in for awhile, really pretty there, nice people, but I just felt landlocked after awhile, it wasn't for me.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,862,446 times
Having lived in the NE corner of Alabama and since only one other voted for it so far, that fine beautiful state received my vote... While I like some parts of Mississippi, can't say that it'd be in top 20 states to choose. Kentucky, that is a different story - bluegrass, horses, flowing water, people, etc. make that a very good state. However, for me, anywhere w/in ~150 mile radius of Chattanooga, that is awesome gorgeous scenic area, with wonderful people, food, culture, and weather - and that area includes then more than just one of these states on your poll .

Old 11-26-2009, 12:36 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,165,015 times
Tennessee, but mostly only because I have family there and have had the chance to get to know it better than the other states listed.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,050,459 times
Georgia is my favorite out of the states listed. But Tennessee is close behind. Then Mississippi. Alabama after that. Kentucky would be my least favorite. I could see myself living in any of these states, but would prefer Georgia, Tennessee, or Mississippi. Alabama would be one of my top choices if they changed some stuff (not going into detail).

Old 11-26-2009, 01:03 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,290,403 times
I also like MS because when I visited it was very open, lots of land to hunt on. I like being close to a big town though like Tupelo, low cost of living there too.

I have friends that are moving to Bloomington, IN. They said it was a great place to live.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM

597 posts, read 1,885,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I guess TN, since it has 4 seasons more than the other states. It's also a little less backwards than the other states, lol.
And I suppose such comments make senior members a little less rude than others? Guess not.

For the record, your back handed "compliment" to my state was not much appreciated. I certainly hope that was a mere slip. If so, ok, I can buy that. It just struck me very, very wrong. One should choose one's words more carefully.

BTW, what part of heaven are you from?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:44 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,290,403 times
I know MS gets the worst name out there, is it as bad as many make it out to be? Is it just as good as AL and the rest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.