Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 PM

279 posts, read 759,799 times

Advertisements

Walk or take a train or cabs when running errands. Shop at a bunch of small specialty stores (no idea where the nearest Walmart is either).

Look down at all the tourists who come into the city and go to the TGI Friday's near my home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think that's really particular to cities. Well, maybe not the NYC metro area. I don't know if people do it in other metro areas. I just moved to Long Island, about 15 miles outside the city. The supermarkets are really close together, so I go to different stores for different things. Maybe it's not as easy in other areas where the stores are further apart? Don't know.
I believe the difference is here in the south; we usually shop at your more typical mainstream grocery stores (Wegman's, Whole Food, Publix, HEB, Krogers,etc). These stores usually have everything from produce, meat, packaged food, and more. Saves us the trips of shopping at different places.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,668,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I believe the difference is here in the south; we usually shop at your more typical mainstream grocery stores (Wegman's, Whole Food, Publix, HEB, Krogers,etc). These stores usually have everything from produce, meat, packaged food, and more. Saves us the trips of shopping at different places.
We have full-service grocery stores here, too. The difference is that the smaller stores often specialize in certain products and offer better selection.

For example:
-I go to a small store 2 blocks away to buy fresh produce (lowest prices around) and cheese (their cheese selection is great) twice per week.
-I go to the butcher shop 7 blocks away a few times per month to buy fresh meat (excellent selection and they will custom cut it for you).
-I go to the chain grocery store 2 blocks away once a week to buy things like eggs, yogurt, mustard/sauces/dressings.
-I go to the Middle Eastern/French market a block away to buy fresh bread, olive oil, fresh food from the counter, chocolate, nuts, and olives.
-I go to Trader Joe's a block away to buy pizza dough, dried fruit, frozen crabcakes and fish filets, and pre-packaged Indian food.

If the weather is nice, I enjoy the act of walking to all of the different stores and buying a few things at each.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Shop often and in small quantities, and at a variety of different stores.
Walk my groceries home, as I don't have a car (or a license).
Take the bus/train or walk to get places.
Have neighbors from all over the world.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Perhaps you shop at a little grocery store instead of Walmart, or you take the bus or train instead of driving a car. Maybe its that you care about poor people, or did graffiti as a kid. Perhaps you just vote democrat.

I guess I dont do anything urbanite then

Old 11-26-2009, 07:06 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
We have full-service grocery stores here, too. The difference is that the smaller stores often specialize in certain products and offer better selection.

For example:
-I go to a small store 2 blocks away to buy fresh produce (lowest prices around) and cheese (their cheese selection is great) twice per week.
-I go to the butcher shop 7 blocks away a few times per month to buy fresh meat (excellent selection and they will custom cut it for you).
-I go to the chain grocery store 2 blocks away once a week to buy things like eggs, yogurt, mustard/sauces/dressings.
-I go to the Middle Eastern/French market a block away to buy fresh bread, olive oil, fresh food from the counter, chocolate, nuts, and olives.
-I go to Trader Joe's a block away to buy pizza dough, dried fruit, frozen crabcakes and fish filets, and pre-packaged Indian food.

If the weather is nice, I enjoy the act of walking to all of the different stores and buying a few things at each.

I go to Uncle Gusieppe's to get italian specialities No store can beat that store in fresh quality italian.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post

For example:

That's the keyword in your post. I might like NYC if it was warmer. But I could never justify living there with the winters.

Las Cruces might not have as much as NYC, but I can pretty much guarantee a walk in nice weather at any time of year.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
Walk or take a train or cabs when running errands. Shop at a bunch of small specialty stores (no idea where the nearest Walmart is either).

Look down at all the tourists who come into the city and go to the TGI Friday's near my home
Depending on where exactly you live, probably 95th and Western.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Perhaps you shop at a little grocery store instead of Walmart, or you take the bus or train instead of driving a car. Maybe its that you care about poor people, or did graffiti as a kid. Perhaps you just vote democrat.
Let's see, I shope at little stores and Walmart, used to take the bus when the car was in the shop. I care about poor people and rich people and those in between. never did graffiti. And would never vote democrat. Maybe I am not urban enough...LOL

But, on the same hand, how about, knowing how to run, jump and cover when someone starts lighting up the block? Used to hearing "what you got on my 40"? being used to the cops taking 45-60 minutes to show up when called? knowing which guys on the block sell which drugs? When the hypes walk past and ask you if so in so is up and around yet, so they can get their early morning fix?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Buy groceries for 1-2 days at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.