U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
305 posts, read 364,178 times
Reputation: 111

Advertisements

Perhaps you shop at a little grocery store instead of Walmart, or you take the bus or train instead of driving a car. Maybe its that you care about poor people, or did graffiti as a kid. Perhaps you just vote democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,509,953 times
Reputation: 1678
I go to four different stores to do my bi-weekly grocery/produce shopping. I don't even know where the closest Walmart to here is, to be honest with you. Also, I walk and take the subway everywhere - I hail a taxi or call a car service a few times per month, but never drive myself - I don't have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times
Reputation: 1819
Well, it took me an hour and 15 minutes to go 18 miles today. I also take the train and subway sometimes and have the typical NY accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,668 posts, read 74,663,884 times
Reputation: 48192
pants down and a 9mm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
927 posts, read 1,912,765 times
Reputation: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I go to four different stores to do my bi-weekly grocery/produce shopping. I don't even know where the closest Walmart to here is, to be honest with you. Also, I walk and take the subway everywhere - I hail a taxi or call a car service a few times per month, but never drive myself - I don't have a car.
I cosign this when I lived in NYC...different markets have different things you like! One for produce, another for flowers, another for that special sparkling natural juice you like, lol. And it required full-scale planning to find most big-box stores.

Oh yeah, and I carried my own lunch tote that said "live organic" that I carried with me on subway rides along with a copy of the Wall Street Journal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Reputation: 66605
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Perhaps you shop at a little grocery store instead of Walmart, or you take the bus or train instead of driving a car. Maybe its that you care about poor people, or did graffiti as a kid. Perhaps you just vote democrat.
Keep walking across the street even though the light's against me and cars are coming, gauging that I have enough time to do so and yet not running to get out of the way.

Or hold my hand up to the bus turning the corner as I'm crossing the street and say, "HEY, I'm WALKING here."

And say hello occasionally to the crazy babbling schizophrenic on the park bench as I pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I cosign this when I lived in NYC...different markets have different things you like! One for produce, another for flowers, another for that special sparkling natural juice you like, lol. And it required full-scale planning to find most big-box stores.

I don't think that's really particular to cities. Well, maybe not the NYC metro area. I don't know if people do it in other metro areas. I just moved to Long Island, about 15 miles outside the city. The supermarkets are really close together, so I go to different stores for different things. Maybe it's not as easy in other areas where the stores are further apart? Don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,165 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Reputation: 66605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Keep walking across the street even though the light's against me and cars are coming, gauging that I have enough time to do so and yet not running to get out of the way.

Or hold my hand up to the bus turning the corner as I'm crossing the street and say, "HEY, I'm WALKING here."
I commute by train. Two trains, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
 
6,046 posts, read 10,056,780 times
Reputation: 2334
I don't have a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: Bike to Surf!
3,080 posts, read 9,946,733 times
Reputation: 2978
Biked 15 miles to work. Didn't drive for weeks at a time. Partied 'till 9AM.

Ugh, don't remind me that I don't live there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top