U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 PM

369 posts, read 1,838,044 times

Advertisements

Long story short (some of you may remember):

I'm a 24 year old electrician. Born and raised in Boston Massachusetts. I moved to Phoenix in 2008. AZ has been good to us, but we are looking to get out of here in late 2010. We can't afford to move back home, plus there is not enough work going on.

I visited Denver in October and thought it was great. I just figured I'd give a few other cities a look before making up my mind. Another city of interest is Pittsburgh. Overall I think Denver is the better city of the 2 (never been to Pittsburgh btw, so take that with a grain of salt), but there a couple of advantages Pittsburgh has (for me) over Denver. The cost of living versus what my salary would be in Pittsburgh can't be beat. Also, it's a days drive from home, family, and friends.

I called IBEW local 68 (Denver) today and they told me they have a ton of work in Denver to keep the boys busy for the next 4 or 5 years. If that is true, that is a huge benefit to me as Pittsburgh is starting to slow down a little bit in the work department. Another good thing about Colorado is, my New Hampshire electrical license will reciprocate to Colorado. In other words, I wouldn't have to retest in Colorado, which is a huge plus for me.

One thing that scares me about Pittsburgh is the weather. A lot of people seem to think its pretty dreary. I understand Denver weather is pretty crazy, but it seems like Denver wins hands down vs Pittsburgh. Weather isn't everything, but I'd prefer to see the sun more often than not.

Anyways, I guess it all comes down to affordability. My goal is to rent a nice single family house (for My girl, myself, and our two 20 lb dogs), in a nice area, with a fenced grassy back yard for the dogs, not to far from the city for around $1000 a month. According to my own research, that may be very difficult to achieve in Denver. Pittsburgh on the other hand, it could be done fairly easily..

Where ever we end up, I'm sure we will make the best of it. I guess I'm just looking for someone to sell me one way or the other. Has anyone here ever lived in both cities? Would anyone like to chime in on this matter?

One more thing, another advantage Denver has over Pittsburgh is.... It would be a lot easier and cheaper for us to move to Denver than Pittsburgh.

I'm honestly torn right down the middle. I'm excited at the thought of living in both cities. I'm not quite sure what to do. The good news is, I have some time to think about it!

-Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 10:45 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,029,768 times
go with the job. You are only 24 its a time to move around and find out what you like.

Having lived n Both Cities, I personally I prefer Pittsburgh but I would not feel uncomfortable with Denver. Make sure you live in a relatively urban or rural area in either city. The suburbs are for both cities kind of suck.

The first thing immediately noticed about Denver was that compared to the East Coast, there was a lack of trees.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
go with the job. You are only 24 its a time to move around and find out what you like.

Having lived n Both Cities, I personally I prefer Pittsburgh but I would not feel uncomfortable with Denver. Make sure you live in a relatively urban or rural area in either city. The suburbs are for both cities kind of suck.

The first thing immediately noticed about Denver was that compared to the East Coast, there was a lack of trees.

What makes you prefer the 'burgh ?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM

More of an east coast city, more diverse cultures, nature is easier to get to. The Trees.

Denver is on the plains. The Rockies are a backdrop and at least 45 minutes to get anywhere.

That being said, either city would be a good choice.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
More of an east coast city, more diverse cultures, nature is easier to get to. The Trees.

Denver is on the plains. The Rockies are a backdrop and at least 45 minutes to get anywhere.

That being said, either city would be a good choice.

Yea, the more I look into both cities.. The more I want to move to both of them.. The bad air quality of Pittsburgh has me worried. I know Denver isn't known for great air quality, but atleast they are out of the top 15 worst air qualities.

Also, I think the lack of sunny days would drive me nuts!! I thought Boston was dreary.. but if you look at the #'s, Boston is a lot more sunnier than Pittsburgh...

But then you gotta look at how cheap it is in Pittsburgh.. I'd be closer to family.. Trees, rivers, lakes.. Man I miss the east!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:42 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,444,268 times
Go with Pittsburgh! Its scenery is nice, there is tons to do, youre A LOT closer to civilization, etc. Pittsburgh's weather might be a bit cloudier in winter, but overall temps are decently mild, probably very comparable to Denver. And you get a lot less snow in Pittsburgh and for less months than Denver. Denver has had several big snowstorms already, and will continue to get them all the way into May sometimes. Locals will tell you that the snow doesnt stick around long (which is true), but who the frick really wants snow by the ton in April and May?!?!?! Thats just depressing, more so than a cloudy day if you ask me!

Old 11-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Go with Pittsburgh! Its scenery is nice, there is tons to do, youre A LOT closer to civilization, etc. Pittsburgh's weather might be a bit cloudier in winter, but overall temps are decently mild, probably very comparable to Denver. And you get a lot less snow in Pittsburgh and for less months than Denver. Denver has had several big snowstorms already, and will continue to get them all the way into May sometimes. Locals will tell you that the snow doesnt stick around long (which is true), but who the frick really wants snow by the ton in April and May?!?!?! Thats just depressing, more so than a cloudy day if you ask me!

Hey Steve-o .. Thanks for the input.. I enjoy your work over on the phx board.. I always get a chuckle.. We think alike..

Thats a good point about Denver.. I'm not that fond of snow... I'm also not a fan of cloudy rainy days.. But i'll take either over Phoenix.. I guess I have to pick my poisen..

Maybe I'll flip a coin

Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,444,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Hey Steve-o .. Thanks for the input.. I enjoy your work over on the phx board.. I always get a chuckle.. We think alike..

Thats a good point about Denver.. I'm not that fond of snow... I'm also not a fan of cloudy rainy days.. But i'll take either over Phoenix.. I guess I have to pick my poisen..

Maybe I'll flip a coin
You really cant go wrong with either, but I think Pittsburgh is more interesting, has nice scenery, too, and is closer to civilization. Have you ever headed out of Denver in any direction? Might as well be on Mars.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:26 PM

the air is fine in both cities.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You really cant go wrong with either, but I think Pittsburgh is more interesting, has nice scenery, too, and is closer to civilization. Have you ever headed out of Denver in any direction? Might as well be on Mars.
It does get kind of bleak outside of Denver especially going east, but if you drive just a few miles outside of Pittsburgh, you may as well be in Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.