U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,345,970 times

Advertisements

My husband heard somewhere that the taxes are high in CO. Does anyone know if this is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,514 times
Along with Walla Walla I found Silver City, NM, Carlsbad, NM, Truth or Consequences, NM and Bisbee, AZ. The demographics of the areas are all very similar. Another great location, although higher cost of living, is Golden, CO. Like Walla Walla, it's a college town (Colorado School of Mines), small, unique yet 30 minutes from Denver (far enough). Good luck.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:51 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,612,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm pretty sure your criteria described exists in Gainesville, Florida.

There aren't any state taxes in Florida, Gainesville has a very low cost of living, it's not a dangerous place to live in terms of crime, there is plenty of sunshine (224 days), it's a liberal college town (University of Florida) with good cultural event accessibility, the population is around 115,000, Gainesville is very walkable in the center core and there is a good public transit system because of the university's presence, it's within an hour and a half or so of Orlando's international airport and bible-thumping is typically not audible.
Gainsville sounds great, but isn't it very humid in the summer with trillions of mosquitoes and other insects?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,486,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Except when the messiah Tim Tebow tells the entire city to paint scripture verses on their faces.
Tebow didn't have anything to do with it, the fans did it themselves as a tribute.

Most fans just wore face paint, very few put bible verses in it.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:28 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,492,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Gainsville sounds great, but isn't it very humid in the summer with trillions of mosquitoes and other insects?

Yes it is very humid. Just about any place in Fla you will deal with lots of bugs.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,246,571 times
There is no 'perfect' place to live. You are wasting your time wondering.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,322 times
Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone.

Fort Collins sounds all right, but it does seem like it gets really cold and lots of snow (57 inches). Colorado looks like it has <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Colorado#State_taxes">some sort of flat state tax</a>, which sounds awesome.

Still interested in knowing about Oregon for some reason. Corvallis sounds pretty good. Eugene seems like it might be too far away from a major airport hub. Can anyone tell me much about Portland? I was looking at the Portland forum, and it sounds really good, particularly with the train line. Would the outskirts of Portland somewhat fit my wants? If so, which suburbs or outskirt towns?

On a side note, no FL for me. Too humid and prone to disaster...

@krock1dk, did you fail to notice that I put perfect in quotes? You're wasting my time by not giving me any recommendations! :P Please take jaded personality elsewhere.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:14 PM

5,230 posts, read 11,677,164 times
If you consider Portland, you might also consider right over the border into Washington. They have no state taxes in WA.

Oh, and New Mexico and Arizona rank 4th and 8th in "most dangerous states." They've actually improved since last year though.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,612,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
If you consider Portland, you might also consider right over the border into Washington. They have no state taxes in WA.

Oh, and New Mexico and Arizona rank 4th and 8th in "most dangerous states." They've actually improved since last year though.

I wonder why the URL for the most dangerous states shows up when I do a reply to your post, but not in the actual post as it appears in the forum.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,172 times
you might want to consider Eugene, OR. not too crowded and it is safe and convenient. my boyfriend used to live there but he had since moved to England to continue his study. but don't know much about the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or