U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:06 AM

5,680 posts, read 7,507,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
If you consider Portland, you might also consider right over the border into Washington. They have no state taxes in WA.

Oh, and New Mexico and Arizona rank 4th and 8th in "most dangerous states." They've actually improved since last year though.

Perhaps, and crime (like murders) typically involves a victim who is also involved in crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 12:01 PM

577 posts, read 1,144,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekwriter View Post
I've been to many states in the U.S., but I've yet to really find a place I'd call "home." Maybe that's because I'm pretty picky (unfortunately). I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me figure out what places I should be considering. I did the Find Your Spot website thing, and the best sounding places it recommended to me were Walla Walla, WA and Silver Springs, NM, but I'm still not convinced, particularly since I've not visited either.

Anyway, I thought I might list what I'm looking for in a place and see what gets said. I'm hoping to compile a list of places to visit over the next little while. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who gives advice/suggestions!

PLACES
- Regions I'd like to look at: Northwest, Midwest, Southwest. I've lived most of my life in the southeast, don't enjoy the northeast and probably can rule out California, because of its crazy taxation.

- I've lived in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Texas, New Mexico, and Melbourne, Australia. Of those places, NM and Melbourne were my favorites, but I'm maybe looking for a change of pace, thus my interest in the northwest. I loved Melbourne, but things were expensive and not too lively, so I returned to the States. Melbourne was also plagued with a Seattle-esque, constant drizzle, despite its only getting 25-inches of rain annually.

SAFETY
- I'm a young (23), single female, or will be once my divorce is finalized. (What can I say? Starter marriage? ) I want to feel safe. I'm not easily scared; I'm gutsy. I did move overseas, by myself, when I was just out of high school, but I'd still prefer "safe" places over "unsafe" ones, for obvious reasons. The Kung Fu is not strong in me.

WEATHER / CLIMATE
- Relatively dry. Less than 40 inches of rain a year. Occasional heavy rain, even a rainy month, is all well and good, I just must not be subjected to a CONSTANT DRIZZLE. It depresses me. Las Vegas was maybe a little too dry... It made my throat feel like sandpaper.

- 280+ "clear" days a year. I'm flexible with this, a little, but I do need sunshine. I am mildly affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder--not to the point that I have to seek help, but to the point that I sleep way more than I'd like on extremely cloudy, rainy days.

- Hot, hot summers are okay. (I've lived in record-breaking Aussie summers without aircon.) Constantly below-freezing winters: not so much. Snow is all right, even nice, but I don't want it to last for months and months. I'm no snow bunny.

ECONOMY
- Though it limits my options to only a few states, I'd like to live in a place where there's no state income tax. However, if there's a place that fits my other needs, that has a fairly livable tax rate, please say so. I mean, I have looked at AZ before, so it's not out of the question.

- I work primarily in the tech industry as a self-employed web designer. I can't think of any place these days where that couldn't make me money, particularly since I can contract with places from around the world, but it might still be worth mentioning.

ENTERTAINMENT
- I dabble in all sorts of arts, from writing and visual art, to music. Living in an artsy town might be nice, but it's by no means a requirement.

POPULATION
- I don't want to live IN a city or inner suburbs. Places with a population of 35,000 to 150,000 are ideal. I love nature and a mid-size town "feel." Driving in cities scares the hell out of me, so if I did end up in a city again, I really would like some public transportation options. In the U.S., I realize that pretty well limits me to New York and Chicago, neither of which I wish to live in.

- I travel internationally about once a year, so I should probably be only an hour or so outside of a state airport hub.

POLITICS
- Must be a fairly socially liberal area, or at least a fence-sitting area. I have progressive social beliefs (fiscally less so) and don't think I could tolerate living in a wholly conservative place--again. I'm probably most closely aligned with Libertarianism, but I'm a bit more liberal than that.

- It may be too much to ask, but...not too much religion? I'm agnostic/atheistic, and I'd rather not be around all the Bible-banging (no offense to anyone!). That being said, I'm living in Texas now, and I'm from a fundie family, soo...clearly I can put up with it, to some degree. This wish is one of the reasons I'm looking at the northwest...

Thanks again, everyone.
You sound like fitting perfectly in/around Portland Oregon except for the weather part.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:10 PM

577 posts, read 1,144,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
If you consider Portland, you might also consider right over the border into Washington. They have no state taxes in WA.

Oh, and New Mexico and Arizona rank 4th and 8th in "most dangerous states." They've actually improved since last year though.

Right... The cities like Vancouver, Camas, Washougal in WA just across the river from Portland Oregon.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 AM

234 posts, read 625,312 times
AZ or NM are nice.

Have you considered central Oregon? On the west side of the cascade range there is high desert, absolutely beautiful country. Not many jobs, but plenty of nice people and LOW CRIME! There are plenty of people who are your age out there too. Especially in Bend, Oregon.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 AM

234 posts, read 625,312 times
Ah crap, I meant to say EAST side of the Cascades. Sorry!

Stay away from western Oregon if you hate rain!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM

4,070 posts, read 9,184,373 times
From your post I say stay away from Washington and Oregon coasts at least. I feel the same about the constant drizzle and grey skies...SAD is real and you need the sun! I live in AZ but have lived in the NW and couldn't get out fast enough. I would take NE winters over the NW ones just to avoid the cloud and constant rain.

I LOVE the SW but don't expect everyone to. The trade offs here work best for me. My suggestion is look at the bad things about an area and decide if you can put up with them....if so, you've found your place.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,113 times
I would agree on Bend Oregon. Also Colorado has the best weather IMHO . I just went skiing it was 18 degrees and only a sweatshirt . Airports are not the best in Southwest Colorado though.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM

2,106 posts, read 2,717,511 times
The first thing that came to mind is Heaven..I don't think there is a perfect place here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or