U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,017,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
St. Louis:

Midwestern/Southern Culture. Nothing Special. Because of the early french settlement of the area, there is a bit of French idealism: St. Louis has an Empire Mentality without the Empire.

Most of the people here are nice. Proactivity seems to be a problem. Employers are not to kind to outsiders.
St. Louis doesn't feel Southern at all. It's very Midwestern, with a little East Coast feel. People are nice and friendly like Southerners, but they still didn't strike me as Southern. I didn't hear any Southern accents either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 04:43 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,037,494 times
Definitely no east vibe. Very midwestern. A touch of the South (kind of LIke DC is eastern with a touch of the South)

There is a slight southern twang in some areas, and a midwestern nasal accent in others.

The people are nice here. They just have odd diets and strange mannerisms (for a NE/SW coastal person).

Old 11-27-2009, 04:55 PM

787 posts, read 1,470,882 times
Just like anywhere else, there are distinctions between cities in the Midwest. I don't see terribly many similarities between say, Minneapolis and Saint Louis. More with Saint Paul and Saint Louis, but still. Even Minnesota and Missouri are very dissimilar.

@Dinsdale, I can see how you'd say that St. Louis has southern touches (the twang), but I can also see how people could see Eastern influence as well. The architecture of Saint Louis is old, varied, and is reminiscent of cities much further east, especially the brick rowhomes, and there is also a strong Irish/Italian component (in addition to German of course) to the city.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Just like anywhere else, there are distinctions between cities in the Midwest. I don't see terribly many similarities between say, Minneapolis and Saint Louis. More with Saint Paul and Saint Louis, but still. Even Minnesota and Missouri are very dissimilar.

@Dinsdale, I can see how you'd say that St. Louis has southern touches (the twang), but I can also see how people could see Eastern influence as well. The architecture of Saint Louis is old, varied, and is reminiscent of cities much further east, especially the brick rowhomes, and there is also a strong Irish/Italian component (in addition to German of course) to the city.
It is old. if it does have an east coast feel it is from the smaller mill towns alon the fall line. Baltimore may have the closest big city physical resemblance to Saint Louis.

You have to remember that Saint Louis was to the 19th/Early 20th Century is whreLA/SF, Seattle and Vancouver are today - Gateways to the West.

The importance of being a Gateway City mentaility is still here, the reality isn't.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:39 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,229,511 times
Quote:
Dude, you need to get out more. The OP was about midwest culture. From someone that has lived on both coasts, this is a very hard area to get use to. Saint Louis is just another vanilla-flavored midwestern city with a pretty stainless Steel Arch.

The Saint Louis Metro area gets redstate within 15 miles from the city core. The corn-fed bubba mentality is just under the surface even in city dwellers. As your post proves, there is parochial superiority complex that emanates from the residents of the city proper.

I've worked down town, had to take meetings downtown when I was getting my business started spent a lot of time downtown for entertainment. Jeez, my home is less than 30 miles to Arch. What is it with the locals around here that seem to think 30 miles is far?

I used to live in Orange County, Long Island, NYC and LA. 30 miles is nothing. Its a daily bike ride.

i can also tell you that the community of Lake Saint Louis is the closest thing to a beach town that you will find in a land-locked state. There is also a similar laid back beach attitude. There is a reason that LSL was rated as a top 10 place to live.

The bottom line is that the Saint Louis Area is one strange place to live.
Although I find some of your posts regarding St. Louis a little absurd (sorry, i'm not trying to attack you), I do agree with most of your observations. But in all honesty, Lake St. Louis is nothing like St. Louis or it's inner-ring suburbs. So yes it and the rest of the metro symbolize midwest culture pretty well, but St. Louis and its inner-ring suburbs not as much.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
But in all honesty, Lake St. Louis is nothing like St. Louis or it's inner-ring suburbs....
Why do you think I live there? Because it isn't Saint Louis and It doesn't seem like a midwestern town.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 AM

787 posts, read 1,470,882 times
Quote:
Why do you think I live there? Because it isn't Saint Louis and It doesn't seem like a midwestern town.

What does it mean to be "Midwestern," though? Many of your complaints that I've seen about MO could be shared by people from other places in the "Midwest."

Old 11-28-2009, 02:03 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,594,486 times
The city of St Louis has a lot of east coast influence and can feel like an east coast city. It has a lot of culture, diversity, large gay population, and is a dense city. Once you tavel further away from the city and the inner ring burbs it can get very midwest (traditional values...conservative). The city has a decent amount of transplants that have embraced the city and engoy what it has to offer. It also has the largest Bosnian population per capita in the U.S.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
What does it mean to be "Midwestern," though? Many of your complaints that I've seen about MO could be shared by people from other places in the "Midwest."
THIS IS A BROAD STROKE GENERALIZATION. IT DOES NOT REFLECT THE PERSONALITY AND ATTRIBUTES OF AN ENTIRE POPULATION OR REGION.

Along with southerners, they seem to think they own the franchise on Family values.

More churches per capita (Usually with an adult book store, fireworks stand and/or gun shop within 500 yds)

Slower to adapt and embrace to new ideas. Slower to capitalize,complete and maintain projects

Slower to accept transplants into the work force and as friends. (Most of my new friends are also transplants / with similar complaints).

High school pedigrees/relationships are still important 30 years after you graduate.

A few years behind coastal trends of Fashion, Music, Art

Smoking and obesity still a problem. Less concern for overall health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
The city of St Louis has a lot of east coast influence and can feel like an east coast city. It has a lot of culture, diversity, large gay population, and is a dense city. Once you tavel further away from the city and the inner ring burbs it can get very midwest (traditional values...conservative). The city has a decent amount of transplants that have embraced the city and engoy what it has to offer. It also has the largest Bosnian population per capita in the U.S.
I grew up on the east coast. Saint Louis is not an east coast city. Chicago feels like an east coast city.

Westminster, California has the largest population of Vietnamese outside of Vietnam. So what? Its still a crime-ridden hole (with great food).

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 11-28-2009 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM

20,866 posts, read 36,011,334 times
"What kind of culture do Midwest cities have?"

It really depends on whether or not you are referring to the Upper Midwest or Lower Midwest? The two subregions have very little in common at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.