U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,315,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
And most of them are married by the time they are 21. Usually to their High School Sweetheart
False, I am 29 and the only out of my friends to be married. It's not like that in St Louis CITY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,167,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

False? What's false, my opinion?

As far as there being more to Minnesota than the Twin Cities, that's a laugh since 80% of the state lives in the metro area.

Yeah, but the majority of single women in LA means nothing to me. It's not about quanity, it's quality. I'll take a few thousand Scandanavian hunnies over a couple million Moderator cut: see comment from Moderator cut: see comment Mexico.

Still, my social experiment trumps that of the one you showed... I'll go out in MPLS and have NO problem seeing AND getting to know some ladies.. In LA you see TONS of women, but it's nearly impossible to get to know any, simply because they are so damn fake it's not even funny.

And yes, there is a lot more than the Twin Cities in Minnesota. It's a state that is blue, but is misleading because outstate generally seems to be red, along with Rochester and Central Minnesota.

Last edited by Bo; 01-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Insulting people from another country could be viewed as racist.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,147,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Minnesota has more conservative areas than is often given credit. They were one of a few Northern states to have counties that trended Republican in the 2008 Election. They also have Michelle Bachman.

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

So it's largely true, but you might be overlooking a tiny bit. For example Duluth is in a pretty "Blue" county as well. I think it's in a county that's more consistently Democratic than the twin cities. Rochester looks to be a bit of a "swing" area.
According to that link you provided, Wisconsin had the most blue counties of any Midwestern state in the last presidential election. In fact, Wisconsin was the state with the most blue counties outside of the New England states and Hawaii.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Quote:
According to that link you provided, Wisconsin had the most blue counties of any Midwestern state in the last presidential election. In fact, Wisconsin was the state with the most blue counties outside of the New England states and Hawaii.
Yeah. Minnesota has went for the Democratic candidate more consistently than almost any state, but Wisconsin probably is more liberal.

Although looking it up Gallup seems to place Minnesota as having more self-identified liberals and less self-identified Republicans.

Political Ideology: "Conservative" Label Prevails in the South
Political Party Affiliation: 30 States Blue, 4 Red in 2009 So Far

Their "Cook Partisan Voting Index" look about the same. I guess Duluth and the Twin Cities have a big impact.

Cook Partisan Voting Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Huh? Olympia Snow, Susan Collins, and Judd Gregg are all Republicans Senators from New England.
This still makes it less mixed than other regions as those three are the only Republican representation from New England in either House so far as I know. Louisiana has two Democratic Congressman and a Democratic Senator. Idaho and Utah both have Democratic members of the House of Representatives.

Still New Hampshire and Maine are somewhat mixed. New England, at present, is the closest region to not being mixed though at least by voting pattern. The only county in New England to be won by McCain was Piscataquis County, Maine.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Still New Hampshire and Maine are somewhat mixed. New England, at present, is the closest region to not being mixed though at least by voting pattern. The only county in New England to be won by McCain was Piscataquis County, Maine.
It was pretty much a Democratic sweep in all of New England in the past election. Piscataquis County holds no weight considering less than 1% of Maine's poulace lives there. Piscataquis County is an old-fashioned area that values independence, rugged individualism, less government, and few regulations. That is why they went red. Social wedge issues do not hold much weight in that area as it is not socially conservative.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:58 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,591,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
And most of them are married by the time they are 21. Usually to their High School Sweetheart
Yeah I am in my upper 20's and not married either along with a lot of others living in STL City.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:04 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
i said "most", maybe I should have said "Many"

Just a trend I notice around here. Just observation and not necessarily fact.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It was pretty much a Democratic sweep in all of New England in the past election. Piscataquis County holds no weight considering less than 1% of Maine's poulace lives there. Piscataquis County is an old-fashioned area that values independence, rugged individualism, less government, and few regulations. That is why they went red. Social wedge issues do not hold much weight in that area as it is not socially conservative.
That being said on reflection it could have been partly due to 2008 being "the perfect storm" against Republicans. A bad economy, a candidate whose campaign dealt with it in a foolish way, and a very unpopular Republican President. Also New England Republicans at least have the image of being "business-oriented secularist" Republicans, which did not fit the image either Palin or McCain was going for.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,865,018 times
I'm sure that this has already been stated, so I'll just make due with reiterating that the Midwest, and Midwestern cities are large and varied places, and to attribute one 'culture' to all of them would be a mistake. I think that the only thing they all have in common is miserable winter weather. But midwestern cities even approach that in different ways. In Chicago, where I am from, we kvetch and moan like we are dying each winter, yet are efficient in moving the snow, and act as if surviving such is some sort of badge of honor. In Minneapolis, where my friend is from, they take on a bit more of the stereotypical Scandinavian stoicism and go about there business without nearly as much kvetching as us Chicagoans. In Bloomington, Indiana they just stare at the snow, scratch their heads, and then inexplicably pour sand on it thinking that somehow that will help, and then wonder why it doesn't melt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.