U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Also New England Republicans at least have the image of being "business-oriented secularist" Republicans, which did not fit the image either Palin or McCain was going for.
Agreed 100%. New England Republicans tend to be more fiscally conservative and want lower taxes on business. They tend to be moderate to even libertarian on social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 02:47 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,117,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
And most of them are married by the time they are 21. Usually to their High School Sweetheart
This is simply not true at all IN MY EXPERIENCE. I am also in my late 20's and not married. In fact I don't know a soul that age who is married. On average people in this area get married in their late 20's. Maybe in St. Charles county.

The city of St. Louis has a very midwestern and Eastern mindset. Baltimore is an excellent comparisons. My east coast friends are amazed by the similarities of areas like the Central West, Soulard, and parts of South City to cities in the northeast, esp Boston. All very beautiful architecturally rich cities. The suburbs and exurbs are not as progressive.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:35 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,003,989 times
I think anybody can go to St. Louis and feel at home. I brought my really Southern friends from Memphis to St. Louis and I reminded them that we weren't in the South anymore, but they were like "really? It doesn't feel much different" It doesn't feel Southern to me though

Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,022,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
This is simply not true at all IN MY EXPERIENCE. I am also in my late 20's and not married. In fact I don't know a soul that age who is married. On average people in this area get married in their late 20's. Maybe in St. Charles county.

The city of St. Louis has a very midwestern and Eastern mindset. Baltimore is an excellent comparisons. My east coast friends are amazed by the similarities of areas like the Central West, Soulard, and parts of South City to cities in the northeast, esp Boston. All very beautiful architecturally rich cities. The suburbs and exurbs are not as progressive.
Being a native NYer, I can tell you point blank that Saint Louis DOES NOT have an eastern mindset.

My Brother lives in Boston and I am up there at least 5 times a year. It is a REAL STRETCH to say Saint Louis resembles Boston.

Saint Louis has a solid midwestern mindset.

Maybe the marriage thing is more of a suburban and rural Missouri trait.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,381,444 times
Quote:
And most of them are married by the time they are 21. Usually to their High School Sweetheart
Haha, what is this, small town 1950's??

Old 01-03-2010, 02:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,022,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha, what is this, small town 1950's??
Sometimes I think the entire state is stuck in 1966 (on the verge of moving forward, but with the "that's the way it was, and that's the way it will always be" mentality holding it back.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:46 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:

This is definitely the case in suburban Kansas City. People tend to get married at younger ages than the national average. Most of those tend to be "starter marriages" and do not often last. The social culture there tends to be influenced more by the rural areas as a large percentage of the population is only a generation or two removed from the farm. If you travel out into the rural Plains counties you will find very few people under the age of 60. They have all moved to the metropolitan areas.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,592,484 times
Quote:

Bingo. Not the case in the city or inner ring burbs.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Being a native NYer, I can tell you point blank that Saint Louis DOES NOT have an eastern mindset.

My Brother lives in Boston and I am up there at least 5 times a year. It is a REAL STRETCH to say Saint Louis resembles Boston.

Saint Louis has a solid midwestern mindset.

HMMM, that's good to know but I do hear different. The city of St. Louis and the innner ring burbs certainly resemble Boston, Baltimore, and places like Hamilton, Canada architecturally. You hear it all the time on places like the Skyscraperpage.com photo threads. The historic red brick, the street grid, the density, the baseball fanatics. Maybe I feel that way because my neighborhood is full of so many Northeastern transplants.

Getting married at a young age is also a religious thing. Typically the more religious on is the younger they tie the knot. You know, so they can finally have sex and not feel guilty about it.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think anybody can go to St. Louis and feel at home. I brought my really Southern friends from Memphis to St. Louis and I reminded them that we weren't in the South anymore, but they were like "really? It doesn't feel much different" It doesn't feel Southern to me though
You certainly don't see anything dixie up here, and not too many trucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.