U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 AM

314 posts, read 764,716 times

Advertisements

Moving from a ****ty part of Europe to the U.S. next summer.
Either it's gonna be New York or LA. Which one would you choose?
I wrote some things about me so you can put yourself in my position!

1. I like clubbin, underground raves is my thing.
2. I like drugs, all kinds! Mostly pshycadelics like acid or shrooms.
3. My fav music is Blues, Jazz and Rock n Roll. I would love to have alot
of Blues clubs/bars around with live music. BB King etc.
4. Enjoy having a car, just to cruise..
5. I don't care about any beaches, though I like warm and nice weather!
6. I'm an open minded, liberal person that like to do whatever I want without anyone giving a **** about it..

If you have any other propositions of cities you think I would enjoy let me know!

And one more thing, im not überrich..my budget is like $1000/month for rent at maximum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 AM

1,295 posts, read 4,240,304 times
I've never been to either so I can't answer your questions, but California is bankrupt to the point they are making weed legal just to get some extra money.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,941,187 times
Never Lived in NYC, but LA sounds like your cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
Moving from a ****ty part of Europe to the U.S. next summer.
Either it's gonna be New York or LA. Which one would you choose?
I wrote some things about me so you can put yourself in my position!

1. I like clubbin, underground raves is my thing.
Plenty going on in LA. The good weather means that there's tons of these outdoors, on the beach, in the desert, and regular weekly trance events at several venues in the city.

Quote:
2. I like drugs, all kinds! Mostly pshycadelics like acid or shrooms.
You can certainly get (unsolicited) offers of these at the trance places, so I'm sure there's lots more around. San Diego and San Francisco probably have tons more.

You should kick this habit, though. You can have plenty of fun in LA without controlled substances. Parties, Booze, and sex are legal and easy to find, less dangerous, and--in moderation and if you are reasonably cautious--have fewer long-term side-effects.

Quote:
3. My fav music is Blues, Jazz and Rock n Roll. I would love to have alot
of Blues clubs/bars around with live music. BB King etc.
Again, tons of variety in LA bars. You can certainly find some live music of these generes any day of the week.

Quote:
4. Enjoy having a car, just to cruise..
Practically a requirement in LA. Gas is very expensive, as are fees and insurance. But it's easier to own one there than in NYC. Also, there's tons of cheap rides for sale if you don't have one already.

Quote:
5. I don't care about any beaches, though I like warm and nice weather!
You'll find plenty in LA. San Diego is warmer during chilly winter days and only 2 hours away by car or train.

Quote:
6. I'm an open minded, liberal person that like to do whatever I want without anyone giving a **** about it..
No one will give a flying **** about you in LA if you don't want them to. That's for sure.

Quote:
And one more thing, im not überrich..my budget is like $1000/month for rent at maximum!
You can find that in the cheaper areas or if you get a roommate. There's cheap areas with a good party scene, and cars get you everywhere else. However, try to live near where you party/drink/trip if you drink/trip so you won't be temped to get on the road after drinking or taking any controlled substances. Otherwise the freeway WILL kill you before you can enjoy yourself as much as you'd like.

There's lots of different and open-minded people, so you might think about making friends with a guy/girl who doesn't drink/trip so you can have a wingman who can double as your designated. Lots of people stay off the booze/drugs but still party hard.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:48 AM

32,362 posts, read 55,157,123 times
Los Angeles seems like a great fit for you. NY as well btw, but LA moreso imo.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 PM

4,467 posts, read 8,438,645 times
Both are great.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 AM

314 posts, read 764,716 times
Thanks for the replies.
Specially sponger42, you made it pretty clear that LA is where I'm going!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,757,338 times
Definitely LA

LA is more open minded than NY and has the warm weather as well

Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,288,997 times
I think L.A. has a huge underground rave culture. I've been to several, but most are catered to students from my school. I live close to downtown and there are tons of warehouses that have raves often.

The HARD Haunted Mansion rave at the Shrine Auditorium every Halloween is pretty sick. This year they had Steve Aoki, Justice, Crookers, etc. Also on Halloween there was a rave called Monster Massive at Exposition Park (about 10-15 minutes walking from the Shrine) who had Crystal Castles perform. There are events like these often around L.A., and I only know about the downtown area (which isn't the most happening area of southland). As far as drugs, I don't think you'll have trouble acquiring MDMA or whatever else you may want - I certainly never do

Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,534,582 times
I think San Francisco or Chicago would actually serve you better as far as what you are looking for. I would look into both of those cities, although Chicago winters may be too cold for you since you said you like warmer areas.

But between New York and LA, LA would be a slightly better fit for you. New York has a better and larger jazz and blues scene, but LA still has good jazz and blues clubs. Also, LA is warm all year long, and it is much easier to have a car in LA than in New York.

Last edited by jayp1188; 12-02-2009 at 11:31 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 12:25 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,684,727 times
LA is NOT warm all year long. Already, the low temps are in the lower 50s/upper 40s. In the winter they're most often below 50 at night. I'm a weather buiff, so I check many cities' temps and dew points (moisture in the air) regularly.

Seems that many believe LA is in the 60s/70s at night year round.

I hope a local can back me up.

Seattle and Portland would be hip alternatives, with cheaper rent, if one doesn't mind rain and clouds (although not the case in the summer, I hear).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or