U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Austin - Overrated or Underrated?
Austin is overrated 51 70.83%
Austin is underrated 7 9.72%
Austin is just right... 14 19.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 03:36 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,486,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Don't be so sure

Texas voted for McCain by the same margin as Mississippi did, and by more so than South Carolina. Texas is nowhere close to being a swing state.

I don't know where all this "Texas is liberal" thought is coming from. Are you prepared to say Mississippi is a swing state?

Even if there are some blue votes, the Texas democrats are not even close to being "liberal". They are conservative democrats, and the Republicans are even more conservative than the nationaly party is.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:28 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,053,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Texas voted for McCain by the same margin as Mississippi did, and by more so than South Carolina. Texas is nowhere close to being a swing state.

I don't know where all this "Texas is liberal" thought is coming from. Are you prepared to say Mississippi is a swing state?

Even if there are some blue votes, the Texas democrats are not even close to being "liberal". They are conservative democrats, and the Republicans are even more conservative than the nationaly party is.
Texas and Mississippi came way closer to voting Democrat in 2008 than anyone would have expected in the past. I could picture Texas and Mississippi becoming swing states in the future.

But really what I meant when I said don't be so sure is that you can't predict the future so how can you say Texas always will be a red state?

Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 PM

18,638 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:

So I see that you do not know the trends that is taking place in Texas, I see. It is predicted to become a swing state by 2016 and maybe even 2012. Austin is not even the most liberal city in the state anymore. Dallas and Houston in many respects has past it. I do disagree with the person that said Austin is like Tallahassee, Trenton, or Albany. That's just rediculous.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:01 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,989,785 times
That's what I think is overrated about Austin. I hear people from outside of the state think that Austin is so liberal and way more progressive than any other city in Texas. This is not true! If anything Dallas and Houston would be just as, if not more, progressive. They'd have to be more since they are bigger and have more corporations and a larger status in the business world.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:24 PM

737 posts, read 1,040,674 times
Quote:

The margin McCain won Texas by is about the same margin Obama won Pennsylvania by. That margin that McCain won by is way down from the margin Bush won in '04 and '00. Plus some of the more populated counties are trending a bit more Democratic. Dallas and Harris Country voted for Obama, it was the first time they voted Democratic for the Presidential ticket in decades. Bexar County also went Democrat for the first time since '96. Obviously it isn't even close enough to offset the overwhelming GOP strength in West and East Texas combined with their strength in the suburbs of the major cities, Collin, Comal, Hays, Denton, Montgomery and Brazoria County. Even Al Gore lost Travis County in 2000 lol!

If the Democrats can strengthen their gains in Dallas, Harris and Bexar County, start to make inroads in Tarrant County and weaken the GOP a bit in the suburbs then Texas could be in play. It is, however a VERY tall order. Texas is still owned by the GOP.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:06 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,499,920 times
When a city makes as many top 10 lists as Austin, I think it's virtually impossible for it to live up to the expectations. That being said, I think Austin is a great city. Too many people move there thinking it will solve all of life's problems. Just take Austin for what it is: a city with a great university, good music and nice scenery.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,573,808 times
I dunno... I'm not much of a fan of these type cities... austin, madison, portland, raleigh... just not my thing.. .prefer the bigger cities. The whole college, stuff white people like, post college, hipster, scenester stuff don't do much for me...

Old 11-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Texas and Mississippi came way closer to voting Democrat in 2008 than anyone would have expected in the past. I could picture Texas and Mississippi becoming swing states in the future.

But really what I meant when I said don't be so sure is that you can't predict the future so how can you say Texas always will be a red state?
The "trends" in Texas are no different than they were in most red states in 08. Texas was 56% red.

The only red states with margin of victory over 60% were Wyoming, Idaho, Oklahoma, Utah and Alabama.

Texas had essentially the same percentage as Mississippi, Kansas, Nebraska, Tennessee, both Dakotas, West Virginia and Kentucky

Texas had a greater margin of victory than Georgia, South Carolina, Arizona, Montana and Missouri.

So unless this country becomes a one party country, Texas is safe in the red. All those other states are either as or more likely to become blue as Texas is.

The "trend" in Texas was due more to anger at the Republicans being at an all time high. NC, VA, FL and NV (usually red) went blue this election, many other red states were much closer than they should have been. Despite all that, Texas was still more red than many "red" states were. It's already been proven in the Virginia governor election that this trend won't last.

And even on the very rare chance that Texas ever does go blue, notice I used the term conservative. Most of the blue votes are coming from minorities, not liberals. Texas democrats are conservative, not liberal democrats. Texas is a conservative state, red or blue.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So I see that you do not know the trends that is taking place in Texas, I see. It is predicted to become a swing state by 2016 and maybe even 2012. Austin is not even the most liberal city in the state anymore. Dallas and Houston in many respects has past it. I do disagree with the person that said Austin is like Tallahassee, Trenton, or Albany. That's just rediculous.
Harris county only went blue by 18,000 votes out of over 1,000,000+ total....hardly a solid liberal majority.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 PM

883 posts, read 1,976,075 times
Quote:
Harris county only went blue by 18,000 votes out of over 1,000,000+ total....hardly a solid liberal majority.
Houston's about to become the 1st major city with an openly gay mayor who just happens to be democratic. Montrose, houstons "hip" neighborhood/LGBT community was one of the top 10 neighborhoods proving that Houston has a thriving LGBT community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.